Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name this weed

It doesn't take much. A Qtip with a little on it and rub it on the leaves. It should kill it pretty quickly if you get the new round up. They have a new one that you only need a few minutes and water will not wash it off. I think it's called weather guard or something like that. Don't get it on anything but what you want to kill.

nice yard, looks like I may need to aquire your assistance for my back yard as well. Ive got a large area in the back yard where my sod that was layed last year has not realy taken. I was going to get a couple of loads of dixie mix and spread it over that area to give the sod that took some where to run. Any thoughts?

It will make it go dormant if it's not used right turf grass. Right now centipede is starting so it's my advice not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by trailertrash View Post
    It will make it go dormant if it's not used right turf grass. Right now centipede is starting so it's my advice not to use it.
    exactly, follow your label, won't make it go dormant
    i grow bout 3500 acres, i know a little bit about it
    James 4:14

Last years sod will be a lot better this year. Scotts has a website where they have a forum. There is a lot of assistance on there for just about any kinds of grass. Centipede is fairly easy to work with after you get it going. It doesn't need much fertilizer... nitrogen is harsh on centipede at high levels.

You can spray it if you want to but with that little of rye grass it's not what I would do. Like I said earlier, centipede will weed out about everything once you get it established. 2nd year centipede sod will amaze you if you work it right from March on.

Quote Originally Posted by trailertrash View Post
    You can spray it if you want to but with that little of rye grass it's not what I would do. Like I said earlier, centipede will weed out about everything once you get it established. 2nd year centipede sod will amaze you if you work it right from March on.
    i recommended atrazine to help not only with the ryegrass, but looks like you've got some broadleaves too, trailertrash is right though, if you can just mow, mow, mow.....you're in good shape w/centipede

I had to mow my yard every 3rd day to get it looking like that. It was a trail with some stuff that people said would not work but it did for that year. I will find out this year if I don't move first. Centipede is not suppose to be that green.

Look at the difference in the colors of my yard and the others on my road. Centipede will turn green if you do the right things.

First year planted centipede from seed except for about 4 foot around the concrete, that part was sod so it's second year. The rest is first year seed centipede.

TT, what seed did you use? Also, how did you prep the soil before you put it out? I need to do my back yard and side yard. I live in a very sandy area.

def not poa annua
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

D's Tees, I used the TifBlair Centipede brand. I took a 4 wheeler and a food plot disc and cut the ground as deep as it would go. After that I leveled the ground as best as I could with a rake. I planted the seed with a hand held thrower. I put out some starter fetilizer for centipede and covered it (the seed and fertilizer) lightly and watered it every day to keep the top of the ground wet only about a half of an inch. If your going to plant it's getting that time. I didn't have a drag that I could do the leveling with and figured by the time I drove 30 minutes there and then 30 minutes back I could go ahead and do it with a rake. It worked out well for me. The most important thing I can tell you is keep the seed moist every day.

Turf Grass,

Couldn't he use Poast before it gets too hot(above 90 degrees) if his yard is centipede?

Also looks like he has some brown patch fungus there too.

catdaddy,
    yeah, sethoxydim(poast) would work, but atrazine will take care of the ryegrass and broadleaves
    plus atrazine's about a quarter of the price of poast(even more for turf label)
    I don't worry about poast hurting centipede at any temps., I spray it all summer for bermuda control, @ qt/ac, I've never seen damage
    And still a little early yet for brown patch in centipede, usually start to see a little in may/june, then late sept./oct

by the way scmoose, don't use atrazine if this is new sod, it needs to have tacked down and been there at least one growing season

I put down atrazine last week, but it didnt seem to do anything as of Sunday when I left the house. Not new sodd. Mixed per directions and sprayed, will ask the wife if she noticed a difference after I left.

what was the temp of the day you applied it?

dont remember exactly, was the first part of last week, before we got the rain. Atrazine was on day and a half before we got the rain. According to the wife it seems to be working on the broadleaf thats out there, but not fazing the weed in question.

scmoose, may take two apps.
    really needs to be on leaf for 2-3 days before rainfall
    i think you can apply 1 lb. active/ac/yr of atrazine, read your label to make sure though
    big clumps of ryegrass can be a bear this time of year
    atrazine+warm temps+mowing = dead ryegrass
    apply a pre-emerge like prodiamine or pendimethalin this fall and next spring to help in future

thanks for the help man. Yeah I got kind of slack on the pre emergent this past fall, and was away from home all spring so I fell behind. Will get the bro in law to cut it then spray another round on it to see if I can get it knocked out. Again, thanks for the help.