Thread: Working on truck light hookup

Default Working on truck light hookup

I replaced the wiring and lights to my boat trailer and now I seem to have bigger problems. Now the right side doesn't work behind my truck, but works behind all other vehicles. I have no clue where to even start looking on how to fix this problem. This is probably easier than I think, but I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the advice.
    For the ducks

gotta be the plug on the truck right?

Check Your Fuses.....

Are you saying that your trailer lights work when hooked to other vehicles, but when hooked up to your truck the right side is not burning?

If so check the fuse in your truck. My F-150 used to do that sometimes. The fuse was in a weird spot under the hood, not where you would expect it to be.

Check the connection at the rear right side brake light and turn signal. I had a problem with my trailer lights that screwed up all of my lights, one day I hit the left turn signal with no trailer behind me and the headlights and turn signal started flashing, ended up having to disconnect the trailer lights. this was on a jeep grand cherokee. good luck
    cut\'em

Chessbay, that's correct, the lights work behind all other vehicles except behind my F-150
    For the ducks

check your manual for fuse locations
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    Chessbay, that's correct, the lights work behind all other vehicles except behind my F-150
    There is a fuse under the hood that is bad. It's on the drivers side of the truck. It's not in the kick panel box.

It's been two years since I've had that truck so my memory is fading and I can't remember the exact location, but that should be close.

Try to find a voltmeter if you can to check the voltage coming from each lead of the truck side of the plug. If you cant find one, you can sometimes find a cheap 12V tester at the auto parts store with just a light bulb to tell if you are getting current. You could just have a badly corroded lead on your truck so that one of the wires isn't getting a good connection. You need to test the wire behind the plug on each lead. My guess is that it is just a bad plug on your truck. Cut it off and put on a new pigtail. When you do, either crimp or solder on the new plug and then coat it down with liquid electrical tape to keep the water out.

If the brake lights work on the truck itself but not the trailer, it is probably not a fuse, but it is still worth checking.

Get one of these and check everything. Of course check all youy fuses first.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QU5RZM?...0&linkCode=asn
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

You can get the tester at walmart for $2.89.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

got em working, thanks for the help, had a wire that had come loose behind the plug and 2 blown fuses, for some reason it always seems to be my problem to forget to check the fuses, oh well, thanks again.
    For the ducks