Thread: Need VERY Quiet .22

Anyone have one that I can borrow? I have a problem with coons in the corn and do not want to disturb the woods goats.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Just "borrow" fatfish's guest, I hear tell he is good with coons! [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

On a serious note, I have a crossman 2200 .22 caliber air rifle that would do the trick at 50yrds or less.
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

Wrist rocket with 00 buck pellets- sporting and effective.

Good way to test your hand /eye coordination. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Are you just trying to run them off, or kill them?

Any 22 with low enough "power" to be quiet will NOT be an efficient coon-killer. Those things are TOUGH.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I guarantee if you can get within 40yrds of the corn pile my .22 air rifle may not kill them immediately depending on the shot, but as far as I am aware the ballistic tips are made of lead... just got to lodge one in them... they will take notice...

I have one nutty friend that swears by a blowgun

Buy some CBs - just don't shoot them in an automatic - they won't eject. They make less noise than my .20cal beeman.
    Carla Dee

OK... Has anyone got access to one with a suppressor on it...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Buy you some Aquila .22s, you'll have to shoot'em out of a straight/manual action gun. They don't have any powder in them and run a little pointed 20 grain projectile 800fps at muzzle. They get all their propulsion from the primer which is super hot. These things are quieter than a lever action BB gun almost. Much quieter than an air powered pellet rifle.

Grady's in Anderson carries them, but I'm sure some other places do too. I think I have a handful left around here somewhere.

If you really want a silencer here in SC you'll have to get fingerprinted and pay the ATF the $200 tax. They started that with the 1934 NFA laws. But if I was gonna do that I'd go ahead and pay the $200 and get a full auto. You could wipe out a herd of coons then, that is if you can keep the muzzle rise under control!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Btw, what Rock said about his .22 caliber pellet rifle is true. I shot a Benjamin pellet rifle all my growing up years, as did my dad, my son and now my grandson. I've killed tons of squirrels, rabbits, quail, a couple of coons, numerous cats, and even one medium sized dog with that thing. With 8 pumps and a head shot it'd put them down.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Put a baby nipple on a 22 short. Sounds like a fart. I also have a gamo single action 177 cal pellet rifle that makes short work of cats possums and coons within 25 yds. Really try the nipple, it works.
    easy livin'

yea what carla dee said, bolt action with CB's:thumb2:
    "It's like dejavu all over again"
    "90% of the game is half mental" Yogi Berra

Baby bottle nipple over the muzzle and 22 shorts does indeed work as Claimer said.

I use my bolt action .22 with CB's to take out cats and coons getting into my trash. You can hardly hear it at all!

F&$# it, shoot em with a big bore and watch em explode. Nobody hunts goats anyway.
    [img]graemlins/punk.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/bait.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/piss2.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Mergie Master:
    Buy you some Aquila .22s, you'll have to shoot'em out of a straight/manual action gun. They don't have any powder in them and run a little pointed 20 grain projectile 800fps at muzzle. They get all their propulsion from the primer which is super hot. These things are quieter than a lever action BB gun almost. Much quieter than an air powered pellet rifle.

I have a whole box of Aguila .22 Colibri Sans Poudre Balle 20 grains.

You can have the suckers.

I have a Savage Model 19 bull barrel that was my grandfather's.

These bullets would not make it to the end of the barrel.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I use Remington subsonics on the tree rats. They whack them about as good as a long rifle but are much quieter and just as accurate. I would imagine that those bullets and a baby nipple would be the trick. You need a fixed breech rifle though. The semi is too loud.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Fatfish I've never had any problem with them. I've shot several boxes out of my Marlin Model 39A Golden Mounty lever action. Wonder why they hang in your Savage? Ya reck'n you got a a bad lot?