Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let your kid shoot a jake?

I've never killed a turkey and this will be my first year really after them. Unless I feel extra confident I'll get that gobbler, if a jake walks out, I'm probably going to take him. I understand the reason for not shooting them but it'll be my first one. After that I'll focus on the gobblers but you got to start somewhere.

Let the boy shoot it. He'll be hooked for life.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Without a doubt let him shoot a jake for his first bird. But I disagree with resticting him to longbeards after that. Lets say he does kill a jake then goes 2 or 3 years with nothing in his face to shoot but jakes, no longbeards. Are you going to tell a kid that loves it that he is restricted after his first bird? Keep the fire burning. Now I am not saying blow up all the jakes you see. My daughter killed her first bird last year (longbeard) at age 8. She has a limited number of days to go hunting due to school, church, etc. If we go all season without a chance at a longbeard and a jake strolls in front of her at the end of the season she will have the green light. Does it hurt the resource much - NO. Does it excite her and keep the passion alive - YES.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Without a doubt let him shoot a jake for his first bird. But I disagree with resticting him to longbeards after that. Lets say he does kill a jake then goes 2 or 3 years with nothing in his face to shoot but jakes, no longbeards. Are you going to tell a kid that loves it that he is restricted after his first bird? Keep the fire burning. Now I am not saying blow up all the jakes you see. My daughter killed her first bird last year (longbeard) at age 8. She has a limited number of days to go hunting due to school, church, etc. If we go all season without a chance at a longbeard and a jake strolls in front of her at the end of the season she will have the green light. Does it hurt the resource much - NO. Does it excite her and keep the passion alive - YES.
    Right on. You've got to keep them in the game and keep them excited about it. Shoot away. If you teach em about good hunting ethics and managing the game and enjoying the outdoors then one day they will tell you they dont want a jake but till then keep them in the game and let them shoot away but I wouldnt let them shoot every jake you come across.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

bang

I believe that it is just like deer hunting with a kid. We try to lift all antler restrictions when they are young. Let him kill the jake, maybe even a few jakes. Whatever the first legal turkey is in his sight, BANG.

Kill that SOB!

Make him pick out the biggest jake of the four...then let him shoot. While this will let him get his first kill, it will also teach him that size DOES matter
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Strike that...I just looked at the picture again...Let him shoot the jake...you take the gobbler!

tradorion Coots

Take the jake- if that is what is offered... he will be prouod that he scored- you will be happy and you will not have hurt a damned thing that it was not a "Quality Gobbler"...

get him hooked- teach him the BS rules that each of us live by later-- 8points outside the ears, 10in beards only, drakes only, whatever else-- THE HUNT is about so much more than just the kill----- but it is ONE HELLUVA ALOT MORE than bullshit add-on rules beyond what is legal.

Shooting jakes isn't going to make you go to hell even if you're a little older...

I don't think less of anyone if they want to shoot hens/does/young bucks/jakes. It's a personal choice for them and if they're good with it so am I.

I think too much emphasis is placed on "trophy" animals (rack/beard/etc). Let'em shoot what they want as long as it's legal. As they grow and mature let them decide what's right later in life.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

shooting a jake is out the question unless. he is "outside the ears"

let him fire away, but next bird he shoots needs to be older. He never will forget the hunt , it might just fire him up for that long beard!

Crackapowyow the jake. Celebrate with him and enjoy the moment!!

shoot em in the head
    Bone....

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    Let him shoot what he wants.
    10 f'n 4
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

tradorion Coots

I think that i somehow missed the single best answer of this whole discussion:

HUGE PROPS TO Sparkleberry Ridge Runner for this: