Thread: Building arrows

Whats the best way to take off the tips and put on another shaft? Tried pulling a tip off and ended up cutting it off and drilling it out. Got half a dozen arrows and something is broke on all of them. What glue do you use for the nocks?
    Last edited by Hooked 0n Quack; 03-12-2009 at 03:21 AM.

take a small torch and heat the tips.... they will normally just come off as long as they are not pinned..... i normally just cut them off with a hacksaw and stick a new point on.... you will lose about an inch worth of shaft but you wont miss it..... to glue the nocks on the best thing that i have found is super glue gel....... ive prolly got 2 dozen arrows at the house with broken points or something wrong with them......

good luck!

duco cement
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

when you put a new tip on i would recommend putting a pin in it. Lost several tips in the dirt when i did not have one in. since then i have not lost one tip!

Quote Originally Posted by skybustin View Post
    when you put a new tip on i would recommend putting a pin in it. Lost several tips in the dirt when i did not have one in. since then i have not lost one tip!
    A 4 PENNY NAIL WORKS GOOD FOR THAT

what size bit to drill? if an old tip do you drill out the little hole?

Bout 1/8 Inch I Think.... Just Big Enough To Get A 4 Penny Nail Through.... Cut It Off On Both Sides, Smash Nail On Both Sides To Keep It From Coming Back Out... Most Tips Already Have The Hole For Pinning Tho

you can buy small roll pins at the hard where store that fit just right and all you have to do is sand them down

Apply heat, easy with a torch, avoid too much, if it carbon shafts, epoxy hold them in usually, you can put a field point in it and apply heat to it just keep pulling back with pliers until it lets go, aluminum is held in by hot melt ferrule tight glue. Fletch lac or NVP works good on nocks on aluminum. Just cut the top of the edge of the nock, kind of like whittling, then grab with pliers and wiggle hard like pulling a tooth. Just scrape off the residue.

Take off the nock and insert a drill bit, just barely smaller than the ID of the shaft, blunt end first. Take the shaft and hold it at the nock end then swing it down hard. It may take a couple of times but the insert will usually fall out. Make sure that you are not doing this inside because a brill bit going at a gazillion mph will penatrate drywall. When I say drywall, I mean completely through one wall and into the wall on the other side of the room.
    As for as glue for fletching goes, gorilla glue is really good as is fletchtite platnium.

I Think Hes Askin About Bowfishing Arrows

Sorry, my bad. I was wondering why the heck anyone would want a pin in their arrows.
    Last edited by skrimp; 03-12-2009 at 05:00 PM.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Just enough heat until they slide off. Too much and the arrow will swell like a tompon in a toilet. I never cut the tips, being a purty large American if I cut a tip I can pull the point on my rest at full draw. Re-apply with 2 pt, 5min, epoxy. I have never pinned one nor have I ever lost one. If you were drinkin beer lookin for something to do I say go for it, otherwise its overkill.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

thats what i was figuring. they dont come from factory with a pin. figure if i use the same thing they do itll never come off

I Have Had One Tip Come Off Of A Factory Arrow Before... Lost It In A Gar Fish So It Wasnt That Big Of Deal, But Every Since Then I Aint Trusted Them... I Pin Most Of Mine Just To Be Safe!

yea id be mad if i lost a nasty cat due to a tip