Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chicken bog

Default ck on TOPIC

Chicken Bog
    I forwent the usual 180' Ice Tea for an iced Coke
    The yellow rice was done with Turmec
    that's a Sour Dough Roll and SwampFire Hot Sauce for a little more kick

tomorrow it's BBQ and Coleslaw ...........

Bill

what turd says except for a large croud i put a turkey breast in along w/the chicken i also use fresh pork sausage fry it about half done then drain some of the grease off ,not all. put the deboned chicken and turkey back in,add the rice when its about 3/4 done add the sausage and 1 more onion this will still have some crunch when its done,add lots off bs and bud light.

I'm gonna make a bog this week with some quail - just for kicks.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I use Yellow Stone Ground Boykin, Or Carolina Plantation Grits. They are both yellow before butter or cheese gets to them...and they are yellow. Grits can be yellow my friend.

Bullcook is spot on with the thighs.

I do a combo of thighs and breast. The bone adds the flavor. I just like the breast meat. I shreds nicely and morphs to the rice.

Cook my bird first...when it is done, add my sausage and other ingredients.

Of course, I do my cornbread pancake deals with this, and scoop the bog up on the cake and enjoy the livin daylights out of the crunch of the bread, and bogginess of the main dish.

I tried Jasmine rice not too long ago in one and about drove two and a half hours to cuss my momma.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yellow grits are natural and the real deal. White grits are for sissies! The bestest bawg I ever ate was at the old Roseville Hunting Club. I think a fellow by the name of Rayford Fairey made it. On a cold day there was nothing better! If memory serves me correct there was some pork sausage, chicken, egg, salt and pepper. By far the best I have ever eaten.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 03-02-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Edited because I felt like it
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

LabLuvr,

Get Swamp Rat to bring you to Midway......... we will put all this theory into practice.

Call me Nicca......
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Will call tomorrow, can't hardly talk tonite. My wife is happier than a pig in a poke.

What ya wanting to eat? Liver pudding, chicken bawg, venison sausage? You name it, this dude can cook it!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

SCTIMBER Coots

Best bog I have ever eaten was up in the NC mountains. We bought everything about an hour away from camp and cooked it that night, it was fine eating.

Another twist on the chicken bog is to substitute Boston Butts instead of chicken. Good eating!

Back in the day in Earhardt we used to shoot wood ducks before we turned the hounds loose. While we were out hunting a bog would be made with the ducks and there weren't no bones taken out...hominy was also used. Damn good and, yes, it was cooked in a cast iron "witches" pot.

Ok I have it
    1 hen 5 to 7 lbs
    2 lbs of smoked sausage
    1 onion
    1 bell pepper
    1 stick of butter
    1 2lbs bag of blue ribbon rice
    1/4 lb of bacon
    3 eggs
    salt and pepper

TO COOK: Put chicken and eggs in pot ; cover it with hot water (be sure there is enough water so that there will be at least nine cups of broth after cooking chicken); bring water to a boil, cut stove down so that water just continues to boil and cook until chicken is very tender. While chicken is cooking: (1) Slice and chop one and bell pepper into very small pieces (2) Put rice into a bowl and cover with cold water from spigot and let soak. When chicken is very tender, take from stove and let cool until you can handle the chicken; take chicken from pot; pull meat from bones in large pieces (do not cut up, tear up). Pour broth from pot into a bowl. put bacon in pot and cook slowly until bacon is crisp; take bacon from pot and drain; leave bacon grease in pot; put in chopped onion and green pepper and brown slightly; add 9 cups chicken broth to pot; season to taste with salt and pepper (at least a tablespoon of each -- use a heavy hand since rice will absorb salt); cut stove to high and bring broth to a boil; put chicken, sausage, peppers, onion and eggs in pot; drain rice and put rice in pot; put stick of butter in pot; mix well; cut stove to low and cook very slowly for about an hour. Stir as seldom as possible, since stirring makes the rice gooey. When rice is tender, it is done and can be removed from stove. Serve hot; you can crumble bacon and put on the top of serving or not, depending on taste.

This will be a mixture between a stew and chicken and rice. You don’t want all of the liquid to be gone.
    Teton's Early Morning Fawn "Sable"
    Nandawishibe's Livin The Dream "Lily"
    Cedar Creek at Nandawishibe's Quack Boom Splash JH "Boomer"

A most excellent bog was made at the homestead tonight. Turd, recipie was spot on with emphasis on letting the chicken cool before tearing it to shreds. Junior about crapped his pants when he saw all the sausage! First time the missus had such a delight. Seeing as how there is about 2/3rd's left, does this stuff freeze very well?
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

I am cooking one at work right now. It is simmering on the stove while I surf on the net.
    You can't argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat your ass.

The sausage sealed the deal. Damn, if I wasn't bloated like a tick I'd still be eating. I have been nominated by Junior as the official weekend cook! Momma is a little pissed
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken