Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Timber Management Practices

Agree Carlisle. But getting landowners to do what you suggest is a huge problem. Most simply do not give a damn, they just want the dollar.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

i have no problem with the dollar and i agree that diversity is a big factor. my issue is with the periods of time pine plantations dont produce anything other than bedding cover and the fact that they truly look like shit after they are cut. yes, it is part esthetic but mostly its about the time it takes to manage them properly. again, i do it. i have to because they are there...i just wish they weren't from time to time.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

thanks carlisle
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

It's kind of like being married eh Toof? One day you getting laid and life is good, the next all you get is some woman bitching at ya.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

SCTIMBER Coots

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i have no problem with the dollar and i agree that diversity is a big factor. my issue is with the periods of time pine plantations dont produce anything other than bedding cover.
    That is simple... CORN

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a pine plantation can be managed for wildlife at any age.

1) Simplest way is to leave small areas clear when you decide to plant pine. Bushhog, disk, fertilize, plant

2) If you already have an established stand and want a food plot, break out the chainsaw and bushhog

3) Use a little of that money off a 1st thinning and plant your takeout rows or deck.

4) When the stand is older and at a lower basal area, strip disk or burn.

5) When you cut the bitch, and are sitting back drinking liquor with money in your pocket, hunt the cutover.

BUT...

You can't expect the TIMO boys sitting in their executive office in Atlanta or wherever to want to spend any money on wildlife. They are strictly about a quicker, profitable return for their clients. Even if it costs a little, I don't think it'll happen.

That's their property and their choice. I don't always agree but I respect it.

* and it is a lot easier to plant a food plot in a pine stand than white oak.

i dont think private landowners dont want to manage for wildlife while maximizing dollars, most dont know how. do you think the avg landowner knows anything about prescribed fire? (upstate).
    those that know a little are terrified of liability involved with poor smoke management and fire jumping a break.
    fertilization after a burn will grow huge (outside the ears) deer.

SCTIMBER Coots

That is a valid point!

I think most don't want to invest time. It's a lot of hard work, I'll be the first to admit that. There is also some money involved but it all figures into how much you want to manage and at what level. I know guys that have planted small plots using riding lawnmowers, a bushaxe, and just pure sweat. They wanted it, and were willing to put forth the effort.

I think most would rather go hunt a oak stand, and that is all well and good, I have nothing agaist it. But I disagree that a tract of pine can't be managed for wildlife as well as timber at any age class.

There is a lot of help out there for anyone wanting to learn to manage. Heck the state will come out and write you a management plan for nothing. I talked with a state forester today, and can have a 30 acre firebreak plowed for less than it would cost me to buy the fuel and rent a dozer. I'll end up with a decent road after some work around my property and can plant that if I want. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Last edited by SCTIMBER; 03-05-2009 at 08:54 PM.

You bring up a good point Timber. For anyone wanting some free advice on the basics of their tract, the SC Forestry Commission is a great resource.
    http://www.state.sc.us/forest/

They will walk your property and provide you with a basic plan on how to maximize the benefits you want to acheive (wildlife,timber production, etc) - at no cost. They also provide other services such as burning.

They will not discuss timber values or anything like that. Their plan is a good beginner's handbook and you can learn a lot from it. It does not take the place of what a forestry professional can offer if you want to take a more serious approach to managing your timber and maximizing your returns on timber sales.