Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DNR opposes PeeDee Powerplant

Default DNR opposes PeeDee Powerplant

Pee Dee Project: DNR opposes coal-fired plant

Santee Cooper chief objects to timing of comments

By JOHN MONK - jmonk@thestate.com

The head of the state Department of Natural Resources has denounced Santee Cooper’s proposed $2 billion coal-fired plant in Florence County.
    DNR director John Frampton said he “cannot be silent” on the proposed plant’s “grave” threat to human health as well as the dangers to South Carolina’s air, rivers and fish.

Frampton made his comments in a letter to the Department of Health and Environmental Control, whose board on Thursday will consider whether to uphold an air emissions permit allowing utility giant Santee Cooper to build the plant.

• Acrobat Portable Document Format: John Frampton Letter
    • Acrobat Portable Document Format: Lonnie Carter letter
    • If you go

WHAT: An appeals hearing for an industrial air emissions permit. The DHEC board is being asked to uphold or invalidate the permit that allows construction of a $2.2 billion coal-fired plant in Florence County. It is uncertain whether board members will vote the same day they hear comments.
      WHEN: 10 a.m. Thursday
      WHERE: State Department of Health and Environmental Control headquarters, 2600 Bull St. (at Bull and Harden streets), Columbia OF NOTE: People should arrive well before the meeting, as most of the 30-odd seats in the board room will be filled by lawyers and witnesses. The proceedings also will be broadcast via closed-circuit television to a 300-seat overflow auditorium. The hearing may last hours.

“DNR is opposed to the permitting, construction and operation of this facility,” Frampton wrote in his letter, dated Friday and obtained Tuesday by The State newspaper. Frampton’s seven-member board OK’d the letter.
    Santee Cooper chief Lonnie Carter, in turn, wrote a letter to DHEC, denouncing Frampton’s comments as an “11th hour attempt to circumvent DHEC’s regulatory process.” For three years, he wrote, “no one from DNR has ever told us that they objected to the issuance of the air permit or opposed the facility.”

Carter said DHEC’s board should ignore Frampton’s letter.
    DNR’s opposition sets up a showdown between one of the state’s key environmental guardians and its largest electrical producer and coal burner, also a state agency.

Thursday, DHEC’s seven-member board will hear environmental groups’ appeal of its staff’s decision in December to grant an air emissions permit for the proposed 2,700-acre plant.

The permit would allow Santee Cooper to build a double-boiler plant, which reports show would emit 93 pounds of mercury, thousands of tons of toxics and particulate matter, and 10 million tons of heat-trapping carbon dioxide a year.

Santee Cooper and some of the state’s most influential business groups say the coal plant must be built to maintain adequate power and attract more industry to the job-starved Pee Dee in eastern South Carolina. The 1,320-megawatt plant will produce about 100 permanent jobs as well as about 1,400 positions during construction.

DHEC officials are expecting overflow crowds at the hearing.
    While proposed coal plants have been rejected or scaled back in many states because of environmental concerns, most officials in South Carolina have been silent on the new plant.

Far from wanting to limit coal-fired power plants, some of the state’s legislative leaders recently went to Washington to ask the state’s congressional delegation to protect the state’s coal-fired electric plant culture.

Frampton, director of the state Department of Natural Resources since 2003, is the first major state official to oppose the plant.

Gov. Mark Sanford, who appoints the boards of DNR, Santee Cooper and DHEC, has expressed concerns about the plant. But he has stopped short of saying it should not proceed.

However, his office said the governor is expected to make a statement on the plant today.

Also today, former U.S. Energy Secretary and former Republican Gov. Jim Edwards will be among a group speaking in Columbia in favor of the plant.
    In his letter to DHEC, Frampton said DNR’s staff had researched the plant’s dangers. The DNR staff’s key points:

• A worsening of environmental mercury pollution that builds up in fish poses “grave” risks to humans. Coal plants emit mercury, which is absorbed by fish in rivers. People eating these fish risk brain damage.

• Allowing the release of an additional 10 million tons of carbon dioxide a year carries “the risk of enormous consequences” because the gas is building up in Earth’s atmosphere and can cause “irreversible, global climatic impacts by the year 2035.”

• Constructing large coal ash ponds at the plant could be harmful. Recently, Tennessee had an “environmental disaster of enormous consequences” when dams surrounding a coal-fired power plant’s ash ponds broke. The new plant would burn millions of tons of coal a year, and ash eventually could be put into gigantic pits near environmentally sensitive limestone bluffs along the Great Pee Dee River.
    Such issues, Frampton wrote, “clearly present unacceptable impacts, costs and risks for the natural environment and the citizens of South Carolina.”

Reach Monk at (803) 771-8344.

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/680982.html

Carter said DHEC’s board should ignore Frampton’s letter.
    Based on performence, who is the most credible agency here?

How is ignoring DNR's plea's not a departure from normal anyway?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

We have enough mercury in our water as it is. I don't want this plant...

When Santee Cooper started on the newest power boiler in Cross, DHEC did not even know about the dang thing according to The State Newspaper. How can we expect DHEC to to protect the enviornment after that flop?

I understand the NIMBY attitude everyone has over this plant, but I ask you, if not on that site, then where? There has to be a plant built somewhere to supply energy to the ever growing grand strand.
    If a plant is not built, the level of growth to that area is not sustainable. I know, the perfect solution is to restrict the growth of Horry and Georgetown counties. That is not going to happen and you and I both know it. Our appetite for Yankee money has doomed us with their presence.

How much are you willing to pay for power? Simple economics say, if the supply is constant and demand increases, PRICEs increase.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

They have to build it somewhere and sometime that's for sure. Cleaner energy is not here yet. Who knows when it will be?

Why not another nuclear plant ?
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

This power plant needs to go up in the location they have. Jozie you hit the nail on the head about the price, the people who don't want this power plant built will be the first to bitch about the power bill, and its going up this year. It is simple, we need the jobs right now and the power in the next three years. All for it! I understand the mercury in the rivers, but where does Little Pee Dee get its mercury from? There is no power plants on Little Pee Dee.
    Dubshot<br />It\'s always something!!

"When Santee Cooper started on the newest power boiler in Cross, DHEC did not even know about the dang thing according to The State Newspaper. How can we expect DHEC to to protect the enviornment after that flop?"

DHEC has many, many, many faults...but don't always take what The State says about DHEC as gospel truth.

Everyone needs to research this issue and base your opinion off the facts, not what the State Rag throws out there.

I dont disagree Jozie. We have become the yankee's whore for sure. Because of that, something needs to be done. The Pee Dee used to be a decent place when farmers were making money…folks stayed employed.

Based on DHEC's performance and penchant for burying it's head in the dirt, I dont want them in charge of the cleanliness of our waterways. That watershed stretches and flows from Lumberton down to Cherry Grove and on past Georgetown. I like to eat fish. The whole thing reminds me of pissing in your well.

Based on recent history, I wouldnt want the Department of Health and Environmental Control to be in charge of wiping their own ass to keep it clean.

Since we are prostitutes to the yankee dollar, and the Pee Dee area is one of the most backwards spots in the state, I am sure it will happen. Frampton is likely just waving his flag to go on record for an "I told you so" for when the waters are so bad that folks stop buying fishing licenses and our already beleaguered DNR finally goes belly up because there are no longer any natural resources to protect.

I do wonder what the backlash will be though because it is certain that the mercury levels will increase...and most of the folks that fish those rivers and consume the fish, wont have health insurance. Who is going to foot the bill for their medical costs, disability, etc. I dont think tax revenue from the yankee dollar is going to cut it. Look at what Safety Kleen did to the poor folks from Sumter….( )

What is wrong with Nuclear energy? What is wrong with making this coal burning plant the coal dust burning plant, (which incidentally, is much cleaner and safer)?

Dubshot, take a moment and trace the Little Pee Dee to it’s origins. Look at some flood maps.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that those of you who support this new plant and have the "They have got to build one somewhere" idea,
    are not the ones who's kids will grow up in this area.

I will gladly pay more for my power, if that is what it takes to prevent the downward spiral of the ecosystem surrounding the great and little Pee Dee River system.
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

DD, or they stand to gain financially from it.

as Former president Bush would say NUCULAR!!!!
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

I thought my comment above was pretty self explanitory.

I don't necessarily support the plant, and no, I no longer live in Horry County. I do spend as much time as possible on the little Pee Dee River, however I haven't eaten fish from it in years.

With my family owning property in Garden city from the time I was 8 until I was 30 I can vividly remember when they built the first Condo. I wondered why in the heck they would do that. The kingfisher inn was the largest structure around.

Now look at the place. Not only do you have the explosive growth of the strand, but you have entire towns popping up like Carolina Forest, new developments in Georgetown County and so on. In the same footprint of the plant, Florence is growing, infrastructure, including power capability, is needed to help Marion and Williamsburg counties compete.

So I ask you, where is the power going to come from? I would love to see a Nuclear plant, but you haven't seen a shitstorm of hysteria yet. Mention a Nuclear plant, and you will.

The plant could be built in another part of the state, but why. If the demand is coming from Horry county, isn't it your burden to bear? You cannot have it both ways. You can't be a whore to progress and the money it brings and also expect to live in a pristine environmental bubble.

There is not an easy solution to this problem, but doing nothing is not an option in my opinion.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

doing nothing is not an option
    Agreed, however, just popping in an energy producing plant with a gelded state agency to "watch" it isnt the answer either. That type plant doesnt have the best track record, and, when shit hits the fan, shit hits the fan irrevocably.

If I had my way, I would send the carpet baggers packing back home and redraw the property lines again. I would be forced to be eating cured hog, (that was kilt in the fall), and my veggies would be what we put up in the freezer from the garden. But, that isnt progress. We are all whores in some fashion or another.

I say it again, we are pissing in our well.

that plant could be much cleaner than proposed, but it would require more money. I think more thought needs to be put in this before we turn into New Jersey or somewhere of its likes
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post

The plant could be built in another part of the state, but why. If the demand is coming from Horry county, isn't it your burden to bear? You cannot have it both ways. You can't be a whore to progress and the money it brings and also expect to live in a pristine environmental bubble.

There is not an easy solution to this problem, but doing nothing is not an option in my opinion.

I would have to respectfully disagree, NO.. it's not my burden to bear.
    I've lived my entire life in Marion and Horry, my family too has owned land here for many, many years. I hate the growth that we have seen here and it has done nothing but degrade our quality of life. Now, WE as in the local families are the minority and the ones that get the back seat ride to all the yankees and others that move here.

I know, I know this isn't gonna change, tourist are gonna come and yankees are moving here everyday. This doesn't mean that I have to agree or even like it. It also doesn't mean that I have to support in anyway a coal burning plant in my backyard that will degrade our quality of life even more, just to provide power to the same growth and people that I hate to see here anyway.
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

If we had nuclear power plants, we could still eat the fish in our rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If we had nuclear power plants, we could still eat the fish in our rivers.
    Two of the largest coal-fired power plants in the state are on Lake Moultrie and the only fish advisory on the lake is for mudfish (one meal per week).

I'm not an advocate for coal-fired power plants, but the issue is not nearly as simple as saying coal-fired plants cause mercury in the water.

SCTIMBER Coots

I think it will proceed ahead, maybe with a few more stipulations. I would rather see a biomass plant than coal fired. The guy that logged that tract was a contractor for a former company I worked with. I checked the job a few times when I was in that area working.

It's kind of like the mega dump situation that happened in the Green Swamp a few years ago and what is happening in Marlboro County now, it has to go somewhere but people just don't want it in their backyard. I can understand that.

Nuclear plant would provide even more jobs and cleaner.