Thread: SC Handgun Laws

Default SC Handgun Laws

I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable men and women on here could help me answer this question. What is the actual age minimum in South Carolina to buy and/or own a handgun? I know Sanford signed a bill last year to lower the age to 18 but Federal law states that handguns CANNOT be sold to anyone under the age of 21 by dealers. That leads to me to believe that someone 18-20 would have to buy a handgun from an individual BUT every handgun i have seen for sale on this site and others all state that the gun will not be sold to anyone under the age of 21. Is this because the people selling handguns specifically on this site are dealers themselves or some other reason. Just hoping to get some feedback from some of you guys.

Thanks,

Jonathan

You can possess a handgun at 18. If your father let you borrow his, you would be OK.

You cannot purchase a handgun yourself. and having someone purchase you one is illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

http://media.www.dailygamecock.com/m...-3308777.shtml

This states that someone 18 years old and over CAN purchase a handgun from another individual as long as they are not a Federally licensed dealer.

1) its the daily gamecock

2) You can because the information is not registered.. sorry I was stating buying one from the store or online, which is FFL. You can purchase a handgun from someone In state (maybe states that connect to SC..not sure)

You can carry it- not concealed. and be OK
    Dexter GETS IT!

ok that makes sense. I was just wondering because i knew i thought i could buy one from another person just not a dealer but then seeing so many ads that required the person to be 21, even ads on this site, made me question whether or not i was correct. Thanks

Many individuals will not sell a handgun to someone under 21 because they do not want the what-if liabilities in their head. If you want a handgun give your parents the money and have them purchase one for you.

I personally would not sell a handgun to anyone under 21 unless they are a family member or a close friend. But why would I want to sell a handgun anyways? That is if I owned any guns, I plan on turning all of mine in to get roses for Vallentines next week.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Damn don't say that. She must be one hell of a girl.

Valentine's is next week? I'm screwed
    Dexter GETS IT!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBuck57 View Post
    Damn don't say that. She must be one hell of a girl.
    Yeah, and I believe it'll help save lives by getting more guns off the street.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?s=9723706
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    I plan on turning all of mine in to get roses for Vallentines next week.
    You're a good citizen. A citizen in good standing in Obama's new and changed America!!

May Allah bless you mightily!!

Last edited by Mergie Master; 02-04-2009 at 11:27 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."