Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 vs. XD sub-compact

Default Glock 27 vs. XD sub-compact

Which do you think is better?
    I am thinking about getting new concealed carry pistol to replace my S&W model 642 that I am giving to my girlfriend. I want to get a semi-auto for a little more fire power. I am debating between the Glock model 27 and the XD .40 sub-compact 3". Both are similar in price, but the new XD package seems to come with more extras (holster, extended mag, mag belt clip). I also like the loaded chamber indicator on the XD. However, the Glock has a long standing reputation for reliability and durability. I was wondering if anyone had one or both guns that could give me their opinion on each. The specs are almost identical on both. I wonder if the extra half inch of barrel in the Glock would affect grouping at all. Any input would be appreciated.

XD
    L x W: 6.25"x4.75"
    thickness: not listed
    trigger: 5.5lbs
    cap: 9+1
    barrel: 3"

Glock
    L x W: 6.29"x4.17"
    thickness: 1.18"
    trigger: 5.5lbs
    cap: 9+1
    barrel: 3.46"

Also, I am planning to try and shoot both, but the only rental place near Greenville that I know of (Allen Arms) didn't have both for rental.

Loaded chamber indicator?

A useless add on if you ask me.

All chambers are loaded until proven otherwise no matter what any "indicator" will or will not tell you.

I have the 27, have not touched the XD so I have no opinion of it.

shot both when i was making my purchase....personal preference led me to get the xd....it certainly helped that i was able to shoot both at the same time

i'd say the same about the m&p too...i'm sure i'm just used to mine, but buddy got his m&p last weekend and the xd still fit better

it should just come to preference though....either will be great carry guns

My wife carries the 27 as her carry gun. I purchased it when the 27 first came out years ago, and she used it for your CWP class and has carried it ever since. Make sure you get the clip extension to allow for better grip also. I have thought about buying another so I can have mine back!

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Both are good guns. Shoot both and see what you like best. I like the lower bore axis of the Glock and their legendary reliability. I like the pointability of the XD, but I still prefer the Glock overall. The Glock has a shorter and more positive trigger reset also.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

kahr PM9

capacity: 6=1; 7+1

OperationTrigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect

Barrel 3.0, polygonal rifling; 1-10 right hand twist

Length 5.3"

Height 4.0

Width .90

I just finished putting the 200 round break in through my new PM9 and all I can say is that I LOVE this little gun.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 02-03-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Shot both and the XD fits me better. Despite the resident testicle cutter's opinion, the LC indicator is useful, as is the "cocked" nipple on the back of the slide. Back when I owned guns, I carried w/out one in the chamber for several months in AIWB to verify the integrity of the XD's safeties (trigger and beavertail) for the manner in which I carried.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

I am not sure about the finish on the xd but I do know that the finish on the glock is impressive. Have you ever tried the scratch the finish on a glock, near impossible. I like the feel of the m&p but their finish is easily scarred. Just something else to think about. Glock's reputation goes a long way.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    Shot both and the XD fits me better. Despite the resident testicle cutter's opinion, the LC indicator is useful, as is the "cocked" nipple on the back of the slide. Back when I owned guns, I carried w/out one in the chamber for several months in AIWB to verify the integrity of the XD's safeties (trigger and beavertail) for the manner in which I carried.
    If you treat all firearms as if they are loaded, which I know we all do, then how is it of benefit? Seriously. All I can see it doing is leading to complacency in the basic rules of fire arm safety. What if it fails? Says it's empty when it's not and someone has allowed themselves to believe so? It shouldn't make a difference but in today's world some idjit will pull the trigger on it in an unsafe direction and blow a hole in something that doesn't need a hole in it because he/she believed it was empty.

I don't include anyone on here in my scenario and I appologize for the thread hijack. I doubt the LC indicator affects function of the gun I just don't see how it could be of benefit.
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-03-2009 at 07:25 PM.

i like the XD because of the added safety features if you hit the trigger on the glock while loaded it will go off..you have to have a full grip on the XD and pull the trigger for it to go off..i like the XD better overall..buts thats MO..

I havent ever shot an XD but it is just really springfields answer to the Glock. I carry the 27 as a backup and off duty. Tactically it is smart for me because should I ever have to it then the 15 round mags in my pouch will fit right in. It is a specific motor skill memory from on to another, what I mean is that I shot my 22 and transition to the 27 there is no hickups. The trigger pull and over all feel is the same. I am also a Glock Armorer, so if I have problems I can fix them myself. For me its all about the Glock.
    There are no mistakes in life, just hard lessons learned!

IMO, to truly be proficient with any firearm, you should practice. Practicing repeated draws from concealment and reholstering with a loaded weapon is not necessarily a good practice, neither is practicing magazine changes. Thus, the LC indicator makes sense IMHO.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Yeah, I see what you all are saying about the LC indicator. I don't really see it as a safety feature so to speak meaning I wouldn't consider the LC indicator in the down position as being unloaded. Springfield describes it as more of an assurance that it is loaded if you need it to be without having to visually check the chamber. So, if you were say in low light dealing with a home intruder (and yes I know all of the never shoot unless you have ample light to know what your shooting at stuff) you could quickly check to make sure you have one in the chamber without giving up your location.

I got rid of my 27 to get the XD. It is a much better weapon.

Dont worry about the thread hijack Glenn. I was looking to get some debate over the various features and benefits/drawbacks of each weapon.

It sounds like both are pretty good guns from all of the input on this thread as well as other people I have talked to. I read some more and I do like the across the board magazine compatability of all the Glocks of the same caliber firecop mentions. The shorter trigger reset is good to know CWP thats the kind of info I'm looking for. Also, I like the added grip safety on the XD. It looks like my decision will ultimately come down to a shooting test if I can get it lined up to shoot both at the same time. Does anyone know of a place besides Allen Arms that rents guns in the Clemson/Greenville area?

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    I got rid of my 27 to get the XD. It is a much better weapon.

What in your opinion makes it better?

There both superior weapons, in this comparison one really is no better than the other. Go shoot both of them and just buy the one that fits you best and that you feel most comfortable shooting. It really is just that simple.
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    IMO, to truly be proficient with any firearm, you should practice. Practicing repeated draws from concealment and reholstering with a loaded weapon is not necessarily a good practice, neither is practicing magazine changes. Thus, the LC indicator makes sense IMHO.
    Would/do you trust it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If you treat all firearms as if they are loaded, which I know we all do, then how is it of benefit? Seriously. All I can see it doing is leading to complacency in the basic rules of fire arm safety. What if it fails? Says it's empty when it's not and someone has allowed themselves to believe so? It shouldn't make a difference but in today's world some idjit will pull the trigger on it in an unsafe direction and blow a hole in something that doesn't need a hole in it because he/she believed it was empty.

I don't include anyone on here in my scenario and I appologize for the thread hijack. I doubt the LC indicator affects function of the gun I just don't see how it could be of benefit.
    I will tell you exactly why and how it is of benefit. I own both Glocks and a Springfield XD and my opinion is unbiased. I like both systems and they have done their job equally well.
    The Loaded chamber indicator is a fantastic tool especially at night, Just by running your finger atop the slide you can tell there is a round present. This is great for when things go bump in the night. You can tell the striker is ready to roll and there is one in the pipe. I like this feature a LOT. Now you'll notice the glock 'sort of' has a loaded chamber indicator. When there is a round presentthe extractor on the right side of the frame juts out a tiny bit. But is barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. I personally don't see how anyone can not see the benefit in the loaded chamber indicator/striker indicator system.