Thread: 96'-02' 4runners

Default 96'-02' 4runners

Anyone here got any expierience with 4runners from around 96'-02'? Like others I am looking for cheaper transportation these days and have seen a few of these that have gotten my interest.

2 biggest concerns I have is mpg and the automatics 99% of them come with. I know toyota makes a decent 5spd, anyone got input on their autos?

Thanks!

I had a 00 4runner. Loved it. Decent MPG. I'd say 19-lower 20s? I drove it really before MPG were of my concern.

We got it new and ran it til dec 07 then sold it.. i'm sure its still driving well under someone new. I had 117k on it or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

I currently drive a 99 automatic. Never had any trouble with it and am approaching 200,000 miles. Drives great and gets 18 mpg ~ 250 miles per tank.

I have a 97 4runner that has 272,000 miles on it. I havent had any problems with it. My only complaint is that the rear brakes get out of adjustment very easily.

272k, holy crap! Is that original drivetrain or what?

Guess these are good vehicles then.

Thanks guys!

They are damn good vehicles, not the most comfortable if you are big but that is my only complaint, if you are looking, also look at jeeps, my current grand cherokee ('98) has 230K on the original drivetrain and still gets around 20mpg with 4wd. This is the second one I have had with over 200K.
    cut\'em

I think they are kind of tight for a bigger person. Look into the same years landcruisers.

Wife had one with auto, 2wd and v6 and it got pretty decent mileage, consistantly 18-22 mpg. I hooked up the 21 ft center console out of curiosity and was fairly impressed.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I've got a 99 w/ automatic trans. and six cylinder with 170,000 on the odometer. Haven't had any problems and it has made several 6-700 mile trips (one way) pulling a 16' High Tide. The only thing that kills me is the price of the sensors/electronic components that have gone out on me. They're fairly easy to replace when one goes bad, but damn if they don't treat them like they're made of gold.