Thread: gun painters...

Default gun painters...

i need two new rifles painted. anybody know who to call close to cola?
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

describe "painted"

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    describe "painted"
    Painted:

SCTIMBER Coots

nice tiger stripe

i've got some shadowgrass and bottomland stencils
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Ted Nugent called...

He wants his gun back.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Painted:

Rattle can that shit G.

I have never seen anything like that on a hand gun. That's no amateur spray paint job! Nice looking gun!

Inovative Arms in Elgin did a fine job on one of my guns. He is a buddy of USMCsilver if that doesn't bother you.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

don't paint: duracoat.

There is a guy in florence who does duracoating for a reasonable price. You can buy your own kit and do your own if you're feeling ambitious. The duracoat is pretty cool stuff. Somewhat self-lubricating, resistant to heat and chemicals and if you prepare the weapon surface properly it won't chip or scratch off. There is even a product called "durabake" which you spray on and then bake it in the oven for a couple of hours. It's supposed to be even harder to damage than the duracoat. The only drawback is: the products are expensive and you would need an airbrush or hvlp spray gun and compressor to properly apply it. So the initial investment would be pretty high, but you would be able to do any gun you see fit from there on out..
    Last edited by tackdriver; 02-03-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgdavis123 View Post
    I have never seen anything like that on a hand gun. That's no amateur spray paint job! Nice looking gun!
    Thank you, but actually, it was an amateur -- me. I'm no professional painter. I can barely draw a stick figure.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Inovative Arms in Elgin did a fine job on one of my guns. He is a buddy of USMCsilver if that doesn't bother you.
    Uhh, why would that "bother" anyone? Am I no longer welcome around here?

Phil (from IA) does good work. I've seen a good bit of his stuff, and prices are reasonable. Plus, he's local. Help support local gun business, and be able to not worry about shipping a gun off.

Quote Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    don't paint: duracoat.
    That's probably what the OP meant, but possibly didn't know the terminology.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 02-03-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Option 1: Cerakote (somewhat labor and infrastructure intensive, but good stuff). Better for simple or "one color" applications.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&st=cerakote&s=

Option 2: Good ol' Walmart-bought rattle can and use some foliage from your yard for stencils.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I'm not sure I would want to bake my guns in the oven for a couple of hours with durabake. Not sure of the temp. but you could get into some metal fatigue issues.

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I'm not sure I would want to bake my guns in the oven for a couple of hours with durabake. Not sure of the temp. but you could get into some metal fatigue issues.
    The durabake can be done two ways: 3 hours at 180 degrees and I think the other is 15 mins at 350. Check out http://www.lauerweaponry.com/ for the details.

Not nearly high enough to do any damage to the metal in either case. Now I wouldn't go throwing a polymer framed gun like a glock or xd in the oven but that's just me :P