Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saluda Trout

The Panther Martin and Rooster-Tail have always worked well for me on UL spinning tackle. I usually work them upstream or across. Remember that trout face into the current and work mostly as ambush predators. A spinner worked downstream mimics that well, and keeps you BEHIND them (and thus less likely to spook them). I prefer gold colored blades and yellow dressing somewhere on the spinner. But that's just me.

Another GREAT option for UL tackle is SMALL jigs (1/32 oz being as big as I would go - all the way down to 1/100 oz if you can throw it)
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have a lot of small crappie jigs.. Is that what your talking about? Also, is there any size of roostertail/panther martins that are better than the others? Thanks, TT.

Hey murray, dropper work wonders...use a very visible fly on top, say a royal wuff, adams wulff, or even some sort of terrestrial, then to the bend of the hook, tie on the length of tippet you need, depending on the river depth, and use a nymph to imitate whatever you find under some rocks. Remember that when the flies get wet, they get darker too. Watch for ANY movement of the top fly and I find floatant to be a key asset in this game. Good luck!
    I might be allergic, but I'll try it anyway.

TT, I used SMALL spinners - 1/32 oz. And even smaller jigs. When you get up there, visit some local shops and they will probably sell trout jigs.

Also - carry a couple of SMALL crank baits. Like the smallest floating Rapala stick bait they make. They can be effective sometimes.

Thanks for the info. I am going with my brother n law so I have to try to out smart him. He is from there and I want to be able to catch some trout on my gear. I have no clue about a fly rod or do I care to learn right now. TT

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Hey murray, dropper work wonders...use a very visible fly on top, say a royal wuff, adams wulff, or even some sort of terrestrial, then to the bend of the hook, tie on the length of tippet you need, depending on the river depth, and use a nymph to imitate whatever you find under some rocks. Remember that when the flies get wet, they get darker too. Watch for ANY movement of the top fly and I find floatant to be a key asset in this game. Good luck!

Good advice.

I like using a bead head nymph with a midge dropper. Your bead head is gonna sink, so put a strike indicator a few feet up the leader from the first fly. I think the hardest part is keeping a natural presentation. Don't let your line drag everything down current.....mend the line.

Chessbay an insect slinger?

I would have guessed you for a glitterboater.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Chessbay an insect slinger?

I would have guessed you for a glitterboater.

On occasion

Glitterboater.....bwaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ive found what the fish are eating.
    And they are eating it exclusively.
    Its a tiny little bwo.
    But I guess my presentation is wrong, or my tippet is too big, or, hell I don't know.
    These fish have left me befuddled.
    I cast in the middle of fish popping the surface, only to have them hit the real bwo 6 inches away.

They will no longer touch a prince,copper john,ph tail,or anything with a beadhead.
    I'm beginning to think they are shy of the gold head/hook.

Anyone ever notice how some of these fish have gashes or cuts?
    They don't look like any fish inflicted wound ive ever seen.
    Most are either a straight gash or a perfect circle, but they are some mean cuts.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Jackfish?

BOG, look like it was made by this?
    http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~youson/images/lamprey.jpg
    I might be allergic, but I'll try it anyway.

haha. lamprey was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the circular wounds.

MW, It would have to be.....IF it is a fish inflicted wound.
    But it doesn't look like one.
    It looks as if someone took a knife and cut the fish,say a week or so before and now it is starting to heal. I have seen this before on bass ive caught in this general area.
    It just seems to be more often on the trout.

Now the circular wounds i have seen are fresh(still red, and will bleed if you squeeze near them).

Say out of the 150-200 fish ive caught in the last month, maybe 30 or so have had these wounds.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

They go from nice, smooth, sterile holding tanks to moving water with sharp rocks, Herons, hawks, coons, etc.

Could be a number of things bogholio.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Could be a number of things bogholio.
    True........but not that likely.
    The water is swift and ranges from 1 1/2 to 3ft(max)
    The water depth would rule out a high altitude dive from a bird of prey(maybe bald eagles scooping) but i haven't seen any around.
    depth and current would rule out coons.
    The saluda has relatively smooth rocks.

Its quite possible they could be wounds from a heron that missed, this is the most likely explanation.
    I do share my favorite spot with a blue heron, but in the countless hours ive spent with him ive never seen him snag a trout.

bog i have had a owl in a strecth threw the saluda that would swoop down and grab a stripper bait thought it would learn sooner or later that with a damn cork on it was fishing line but it has not stopped him yet. but he doesnt get quite as spooked now, when i yank back from him, thank goodness for circle hooks and barbless or i probaly have had a mess on my hands

Dont discount your kingfishers.

They are tamie trout...easy prey not just to idjits with whip sticks.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

tamie fish?

I wouldn't think a dove sized bird would try to tackle a 15 inch trout, but hey what do I know, I'm just an idgit with a whipstick.

could it be injury from the nets they had them in when they dropped them? would explain the circular part...

when the fish are hitting the top but wont take what you are selling, GO SMALL.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

tamie fish
    Um yea.

Tamie fish. You dont think they were spawned there do you?

Stop being so sensitive there nancy. Are you the only person that fishes there?