Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saluda Trout

Come on up and have at it "Intrigue" is probably not a word you'll be using at the end of the day, lol. Mountain birds have a way of testing your language skills like no other. Big, long legged cusses is what they are...spawn of Satan comes to mind as well.

I have a bird that I have chased in the swamps of Horry Cty for two seasons. He is a big knocker...and has caused me to cuss on more than one occasion. El Diablo is what I named him.

I would love to hunt the mountains for a turkey. Gladly swap you a swamp hunt out.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Cool. Feel free to resume the trout talk now

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    If you haven't fished the entire stretch of the East Fork of the Chattooga (from the main branch of the Chattooga to the hatchery) you are an amateur rock hopper.
    I've fished that piece of river since I was in my early 20s.

You want another challenge go to Hell Hole off Cassidy Bridge Rd on the Chauga (pronounced: Chawgy). That stretch will make a man out of you, or drown you outright.

Anyone ever been to or in the Hell Hole Caverns there. I don't do tight spots so I ain't about to crawl in that little hole. Here's a picture to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Here's a list of access points and campsite on different rivers and creeks up that way:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/fms/forest/r...rimitive.shtml
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 02-04-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

for those of you in the upstate, TU has a chapter up there if you're interested, used to be a member til I moved, they're a real good group of people

http://chattoogatu.org/
    James 4:14

Default Oconee county

Loved those mountains. Used to be stationed over there for a few years. Still go back for bear season and fish a few times a year on days off. Good luck to those trying it out.

Used to love to fish the Chauga. Never did try Hell Hole though. I don't know how I'd fare in a tight space like that.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1224 View Post
    Amen! Hiking to Ellicot (sp?) Rock is a challenge too. We've got a cadin up in that neck of the woods and it seem like I spent half of my childhood up there.
    ellicots rock is a EASY hike...its pretty flat the whole way
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Catching these fish has been a learning experience.
    2 weeks ago I had only brought about 10 trout to hand in my life, in the past 2 weeks ive landed well over a hundred fish.
    Im eager to learn more about them, it seems they get very shy of certain flies after a short period of time.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I need a little help now.
    I think I have made the fish shy of my usual flies(princes,ph.tails,copper johns,boogers)
    They are still tearing up the surface in the pools I fish, but I am not having NEAR the success I was having.
    Any suggestions?

I see tiny mayflies(close to looking like bwo's)but the fish wont take a fly at the surface.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

live crickets
    James 4:14

I fis the chatooga a lot and the chawgy but have never fished the saluda,can someone help me with some access places or where to fish

Damn cyber scoutin's done spilled over to trouts now, LOL!

Bog, try an elk hair caddis - about a #14.

That's my "meat" fly. Caddis flies are common on a lot of local waters, I think.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 02-16-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

the nymph or the fly Rat?
    one thing ive learned with these little fish, is they can get down right picky when it comes to flies.

Dry fly. And don't be slow to go small if need be. #16 maybe if the #14 doesn't work. Light tippet.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 02-17-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks.
    Its been driving me stupid to have them bust the surface all around my fly and not take it.
    Nymphs have somewhat turned off as well........boogers are still producing but not what they were 2 weeks ago.

Another option may be a small (#16, or even #18) parachute Adams - subtle approach.

One trick that seems stupid, but has worked for me on Saluda River trout, is to stand on a rock upstream of a riffle where they are working the surface. Cast across the current with a nymph and mend the line, watch it for strikes as it moves down. As it swings directly downstream, let it swing up so that the nymph pops to the surface and literally makes a wake in one spot.

You'll be surprised how many trout will hit it at times. The rise to the surface mimics a nymph swimming up to hatch out. Of course, they wouldn't stay in one spot like that, but the trout are often prompted to hammer it.

Got a question for you trout fishermen. I am taking a trip to Tennessee the last part of March for trout. I will taking spinning rods with me. What kind of lures do I need to carry along with me. I know nothing about trout fishing. I heard roostertail ealier or panther martin. You guys think that will work up there also? I will be fishing the Clinch River just outside of Clinton Tennessee. Thanks, TT.

What about a drop fly or whatever they call it?