Thread: Wood Duck Boxes

Default Wood Duck Boxes

its time to start working on them, aint it? I have a friend that has a few in her backyard pond and wanted to make sure they were "right" if/when some hens came around.

What do you do to them? what is it that you put in the bottom? someone walk me through it....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Cedar chips in the bottom. Not sure if it helps or not, but I would wager that the aroma of the cedar might deter some of the mites and external parasites.

Make sure the predator shields are in place and predator proof.

I believe, if memory serves, that the box itself, needs to be at least 5 ft off the water's surface.

***before taking the advice from some random person on the internet, double check on scdnr's website. They have an entire .pdf file on specs for wood duck boxes.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/water...uck/index.html

Here is the link BigBrother was referring to.

The box and predator shield should be gift enough.

If they are too lazy to put the "stuff" in the bottom of it themselves then I say let the damn free loading democrat ducks sleep on the cold ass floor.

Really toof, eventually you're going to have to teach 'em to fish instead of giving them fish.

Clean out everything that is inside the box!

Cedar chips are the best but a little pricey.

I will use pine shavings. Lumber mills usually let you get them for free if you have a truck and a shovel. 3 inches across the bottom of the box works out well.

Like the other postings, make sure the predator guards will work.

ANy wood shavings will work. So will bermuda hay,if you don't have anything else.

You better get them ready fast. I had 3 pair in the small pond in my yard Saturday am. They were all back Sunday and the hens were flying up on the boxes. They do this every few days for a couple of weeks as part of their ritual.......... and then start laying.

If you wait til late Februaury, you're late.

Our experience is that you don't have to clean everything out of the boxes. After all, nobody cleans out the natural cavities! But a little fresh wood shavings, sawdust or hay is a nice touch. The hens will supplement with forest litter and feathers.

If you're going to check the boxes in the spring and early summer, I'd suggest a piece of "no-pest" strip tacked inside each box. They prevent the initiation of wasp nests.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

my .02
    be sure the boxes are in the open, no chance for predators to "drop" in.
    I like to clean the box,gets rid of anything hanging around inside.
    Also check to see that the "helper" is still attached ( hardware wire on the inside below the hole, or small cuts in the wood).
    Bill

x2 on the wasp strip.

I like pine shavings best. about 2 inches deep, no more (a few eggs tend to get lost in deeper shavings, and not hatch).

Cedar chips work good to keep insects down, BUT cedar chips have also been know to cause respiratory distress in some birds and small mammals. Go w/ pine IMO.

Make sure the box is slightly tilted forward, to help the ducklings get out easier.

Predator guard - is a must.

Hiegth? Above the flood plane. Wood ducks usually nest in tree cavities above the flood plane. Found one such "used" cavity - 60 ft up. Best IMO, to place them where you can access them easily to clean/check, and be above the flood plane at the same time.

Just sayin....

T.
    William Gettys Smart
    1830-1906
    Company A
    49th NC Infantry
    CSA

Remember....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=12958647