Thread: dwarf corn

Default dwarf corn

I got a flyer in the mail from some company selling this stuff. It is touted as perfect for duck ponds because of short height. I thought it was for little people to eat.

Anybody know anything about this stuff?

There are varieties of dwarf corn that work well in impoundments. The downside is there are no glyphosate tolerant (roundup ready) dwarf varieties. A good RR variety with the lowest ear height you can find is pretty hard to beat. The conventional herbicide program for non-RR varieties makes it tougher to grow cleanly with good yields.

I've seen some of this stuff, also. "Tropical Corn" is what I have seen. Low ear height, short growing season, etc.

I second CLR's recommendation. Stick with Pioneer and Dekalb. RR and LL are the best things going today for us. Solid genetics and traits, clean seed, good seed size selection and reliable germination.

Non-RR and LL varieties may entice you to apply pre and post-emerge chemicals to keep the rows clean. Read the labels as many of these are NOT labeled for application in wetlands or impoundments adjacent to wetlands/creeks/rivers.

I heard tropical corn just had low ear height but was actually a tall corn. I have a bag of this stuff.

So many damn varieties it drives me fool!

Tropical corn will grow pretty tall. At least it did for me.

Set your plant spacing for 10-15" inches vs 7.5 inches. Corn will not grow as tall since it doesn't have to compete as much for sunlight. It will also have a stronger stalks and be more drought tolerant. Wider row widths will also help but most planters aren't adjustable.

I would stick with a roundup ready variety.

If it's going to be flooded, does RR matter much? The rows don't need to be that clean for ducks do they?

RR does matter. It matters for the 110-120 days you are growing the stuff before you flood.

Rows don't have to be that clean for ducks. But you'll want them as clean as possible.

If you do not keep your rows as clean as possible during the growing season, your yields can suffer drammatically due to competition from weeds, resulting in less duck food. That is the main reason to keep them clean.

Good luck!

Clean rows fight drought alot better. Sometimes it can mean making a crop or not.

I should have thought of that. I was thinking only in terms of birds getting the corn, not weed competition.

i grew corn last year on .25" of rain after it was 6" high.
    it stayed rolled up tight its entire growing season, but actually made decent. you couldnt find a weed in it.
    pioneer roundupreddy has got their stuff down pat.

Thats what I use. I have been putting it in the same field with clearfield sunflowers and having great success. Put down prowl before beforehand then cadre. It has rows as clean as a whistle. I hit it with roundup after the broadleafs showup and sesbania, by then the sunflowers have already made.