Thread: 250 Question

Default 250 Question

I drive a 03 250 and have started having trouble with it. Has anybody else had trouble? A friend of mine works for Ford and told me to get rid of it that it will blow up around 100k from water around the heads.

Gas? Diesel?

Sounds a little funny to me. If Ford has found a way to make water into an explosive and blow up an internal combustion engine, they are onto something nobody else knows.

Diesel

I was told that the condensation in the oil fill tube of my '05 150 is "normal" due to the engine not heating up during short trips. It freaked me out when I saw it thinking I might have a leaky head, but the "experts" at Ford claimed it would have no ill effect on the truck. I am just crossing my fingers that they are right at this point 'cause the full coverage is no more.
    Primary lesson from my first "new" truck purchase, I should have trusted my instincts and NEVER purchased a Ford produce. POS was having major mechanical problems by 20K.

my truck only has 60000 on it

Cajun- In 03 Ford offered the 6.0 standard and the 7.3 special order, if my memory serves me correctly. Beginning in 04, they went strictly to the 6.0. Let me guess...you have the 6.0! I did a little research a while back before I bought my diesel. I ended up with a 2002 duramax which isn't important to your question. Regarding your model truck, I have heard nothing but bad about the 6.0. I personally know three guys who have/had trouble with them. You will take a huge hit if you trade, but at this point, that may be your best bet. If you need a diesel, I would try to find a 1999-2002 F-250 with the 7.3 or a 2004.5 or newer duramax.
    Ducks Commander

Mine has less than 50K feel you pain.

Cajun if yours is a 6.0 you my friend have a piece of shit.03 was the first year that Ford came out with that motor.I had an 03 and it was a never ending battle with injectors,egr valves,head gaskets and a the list goes on.And don't waste your money on the 08s with the 6.4 Got on with 53,000 miles on it now and have been through 6 radiators.

Quote Originally Posted by blackduck View Post
    Cajun- In 03 Ford offered the 6.0 standard and the 7.3 special order, if my memory serves me correctly. Beginning in 04, they went strictly to the 6.0. Let me guess...you have the 6.0! I did a little research a while back before I bought my diesel. I ended up with a 2002 duramax which isn't important to your question. Regarding your model truck, I have heard nothing but bad about the 6.0. I personally know three guys who have/had trouble with them. You will take a huge hit if you trade, but at this point, that may be your best bet. If you need a diesel, I would try to find a 1999-2002 F-250 with the 7.3 or a 2004.5 or newer duramax.
    I've heard similar stuff also. I own an '05 Duramax that I love. The LLY ('04.5-05) Duramax is one of the best out there. The newer DMaxs are suffering from MPGs because of the stock emission crap.

If you want some sound advice, talk to cantkillem on here. He knows a lot about diesels, especially Powerjokes.............I mean Powerstrokes
    Last edited by buckshot1224; 12-29-2008 at 10:31 AM.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

You guys hit the nail on the head 6.0.

Cajun- The 6.0 has a well known rep. I personally know a Ford dealer (was actually in his office this morning) and he just told me a few weeks ago of how much of a nightmare the 6.0 was for him and Ford in general. Its going to be rough, but you might be better to bite the bullet now rather than later. Year end incentives end in two days! BD
    Ducks Commander

6.0 is crap, never figured out why they got rid of the 7.3 great motor and got good mileage. have heard nightmare stories about the 6.4 radiator problems, ford ought to get smart and bring back the 7.3 they had that one down pat
    cut\'em

the 6.0 is known for blowing headgaskets. It should have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. A couple for techs that I work with say that you cannot keepa good headgasket on them unless you stud the block. HOWEVER, a dragracer that has gotten into diesels says the 6.0 has gotten a bad rep. the only reason that it blows headgaskets is due to a blockage in an E.G.R. passage. There is a company that makes a kit to by-pass this E.G.R. port and this should solve the problem with blowing headgaskets. He also has made the variable vane turbo at full boost from bareley off idle and he is not blowing headgaskets. Too Technical?

Oh yeah ASE master tech With L-1 and some diesel experience, Ford has had nothing but headgasket problems since they went to the 4.6 (mod motor) and this has carried through to thier diesels also
    Last edited by lab wont swim; 02-07-2009 at 01:17 AM.

I had a 2003 250 with the 6.0 P.O.S motor. At around 70k miles, it started overheating during normal driving. Found a pinhole in the egr line below the turbo. Replaced. Several hundred miles later, pulling my horse trailer back from NC, the entire EGR cooler ruptured, dumping all 17 quarts of coolant through the cylinders and out the exhaust. $3000 to fix. Sold the damn thing for a 3500 Goat with the 5.9 Cummins and never looked back. Get rid of it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    I was told that the condensation in the oil fill tube of my '05 150 is "normal" due to the engine not heating up during short trips. It freaked me out when I saw it thinking I might have a leaky head, but the "experts" at Ford claimed it would have no ill effect on the truck. I am just crossing my fingers that they are right at this point 'cause the full coverage is no more.
    Primary lesson from my first "new" truck purchase, I should have trusted my instincts and NEVER purchased a Ford produce. POS was having major mechanical problems by 20K.
    Continue worrying about having problems with that truck. I have the same year and model with 60,000 on mine and have already had the brakes go out and ford had to replace the engine. I hope you fare better than me.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by lab wont swim View Post
    the 6.0 is known for blowing headgaskets. It should have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. A couple for techs that I work with say that you cannot keepa good headgasket on them unless you stud the block. HOWEVER, a dragracer that has gotten into diesels says the 6.0 has gotten a bad rep. the only reason that it blows headgaskets is due to a blockage in an E.G.R. passage. There is a company that makes a kit to by-pass this E.G.R. port and this should solve the problem with blowing headgaskets. He also has made the variable vane turbo at full boost from bareley off idle and he is not blowing headgaskets. Too Technical?
    BINGO!!!!!
    I have had 5 f250/350's in the past 6 years all having the 6.0 diesel , I sold all of mine before the got 60,000 miles (except one ) on them because of the problems that you are having. My first f250 was a 03 w/fords shitty transmission it lasted for 39,000 miles and is not covered under there 100,000 mile warranty, (3000 dollar fix) I never had problems with my trucks running hot , but I also had banks power programmer on every one I had. My last one that I had was a 2006 f350 w/ the 6.0 it had 96,000 miles on it and no problems at all . 03 6.0'S was the first year and they still are having problems w/ all of them. When a dealer says they wont even order a 6.0 diesel to stock on there lot you know something is up with that . Good luck w/ your truck and do not buy the new ford diesel its junk also . I hear nothing but complaints at my shop every day about this one.

Uncle has an 03 6.0 and he has nothing but problems with it. Just got out of the shop actually...

My advice to him is the same as black ducks to you. Trade fast. Toyota still has 0% financing...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton