Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lime for the duck field....

weed ID: http://weedid.aces.uiuc.edu/index.html

why do you like the weak stalks? i agree on low...but not weak. just wondering...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It's a tradeoff.

I need it to stand up to thunderstorm gusts in the growing season. Sometimes it doesn't pay off and the corn is laying down. But unless there is a crease at the base, the corn will right itself up pretty decently. So it's not completely straight....big deal. This is only for the ducks AND by that time I damn sure better have sprayed my last herbicide and finished lay-by. I'm speaking about the time corn is 4 ft and the canopy is closing.

After the blackline, I will allow the soils to saturate to loosen the soil, hopefully rot the roots and then draw or pump the water back off, way down in the canals. Winds riding ahead and behind fronts and fall thunderstorms will blow some corn down in spots. Creating open pockets in the stands and allowing us to put as little water on the fields as possible. This works particulary well in our River Fields. It's much more spotty in my Inland Fields.

Hurricanes and TSs will certainly do the trick but the winds are our least concern. Back when Hurricane Floyd brushed us, it laid all of the corn flat. But it blacklined well before then. That season we shot ducks from beginning to end. That gave us the idea. Some years it works out well and others it doesn't, especially when the water temps are up and rots the corn. But the corn will blow over. Moreso during the 2nd season, when you really need it on this river.

My ideal corn hybrid would develop at least one ear 12 inches off the ground!!!!!!