Thread: The Walking Dead

Default The Walking Dead

I shot a yearling this afternoon at our Summerville place.

Quartering away @ 5 yds. Went in behind the last rib and out just infront of the shoulder. Got everything good like I was supposed to. Then the oddest thing happened.

The deer jumped to the left and just stood there totally bewildered. Then ate some more corn. Then started walking around the corn pile. Then walked slowly off into the open woods. It started to stagger a bit and walked a few more yds then just fell over. Raised its head once and was done. Freakin incredible sight I tell ya! Went maybe 50 yds from the place I shot it to its fine demise. Never seen anything like it.

It never knew I was there, never knew it had been shot. Any similar experiences out there?

Only thing I can equate to is that I just replaced the blades on my Thunderheads yesterday and I think they are just so damn sharp it didn't even feel it. Kinda like when you nick yourself shaving with a brand new razor. You look in the mirror and your bleeding but you don't recall having cut yourself.

It was one of the crazier sights I've seen bowhunting.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 12-19-2008 at 11:25 PM.

sweet...

i SHOT a doe a month or so ago. 20 steps and she kicked, ran a few steps, looked around and walked 40 yards then laid down and fell asleep forever.

pretty neat to watch.
    Last edited by GBelly; 12-20-2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: cause the former is not possible
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post

i shit a doe a month or so ago.
    I bet that hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Probably needed lots of KY for that one and maybe a towel to chew on.

bwahahaha

too late...spellcheck is puttin pins in a gbelly doll right now.

and i cant imagine how uncomfortable that would be.

the i and o ARE right next to each other, professors.

let me costa that motha fuddra

If he stuck a doe in your ass I don't want to know what he put other places.

I guess it would be better to shit a doe than a buck.

Walt, interesting story. An easy recovery is always a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

The first buck I ever shot with a bow was like that. I was hunting in SE Ohio at the time. There was an abandoned beaver pond on the property and the creek that ran through it had an incredible rub line running right along the edge. Obviously the buck was making the rubs while walking the creek. I hung a stand in a dead tree right on the bank and climbed in. 2 hours later I hear deer coming down off the ridge towards the lower end of the pond. Three bucks were walking together and one splits off and heads up the creek. He stopped directly below me and began to rub a sapling. I leaned out into my safety belt to clear the stand platform and shot him. I heard the arrow hit the rocks below him and it ricocheted over my head, but on the other side of the creek. The buck jumped up out of the creek and just stood there looking back in the direction of the other two bucks. I didn't know if I had hit him or not so I nocked another arrow and drew down on his lungs. Just as I was settling the pin behind his shoulders something caught my attention...blood and chunks were POURING from his chest. I let down and watched as he stood there looking around rather nonchalantly for about 45 seconds then he gave out a slight shudder and fell over graveyard dead. Really cool experience to say the least.

Also, let me take the time right now to say this: if you kill ANY deer in SC with a bow then you can kill the biggest any of the mid western states have to offer. Their deer are no where near as skittish as the deer here are and will let you get away with murder! They'll stand there and watch you draw and you can almost read their minds as they stand there wondering just what the hell you're up to

i shot a doe out the stand one afternoon at about 18yds clean pass through and she kicked up ran about 5 yards and turned around and started eatin corn again and pick up a cob an did the death dance and fell over dead in the corn pile.. bud shot a doe one night out of what we called the meat stand he came and got me and we went to track and he said he had hit the deer high maybe got one lung well we went and tracked blood for about 200 yds and i shined the light ahead and seen nothing but eyes as we got closer they didnt move when they moved there was his doe with its head up..they circled the deer and were all standing around it like they were protecting it..it was the weirdest yet coolest things i have ever seen..