Thread: Trigger job question for the pros.

Default Trigger job question for the pros.

I would like to have a trigger job performed on my Remington 700 Sendero. The pull right now is factory (est 6.5lbs.) and I would like to have it set to about 2 to 2.5lbs. Who would you fellas recommend in the Columbia area to do this, or is this something that I could possibly perform myself? Also would you stay with the factory Remington trigger or change to another mfg. ? Thanks, 300.
    Last edited by 300WINMAG; 12-06-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    In loving memory- KVP 1961-2009
    "Sooner or later the man who wins is the Man who thinks he Can!!!!!" Thanks Nor!!!

You can probably do it yourself. A good friend did what you are wanting to my Sendero a while back. He took it apart and started backing off a screw until the trigger pull was just right. The setting was just tight enough so that the trigger wouldn't release when we bounced the gun on a concrete floor on it's recoil pad but any additional pressure and it'd let go. It was perfect.

It's not very complicated. Go in there and mess around with it. You'll figure it out.
    Last edited by Fish; 12-06-2008 at 12:16 PM.

The hazardous thing about doing it yourself is that you can inadvertantly get your sear engagement unsafely minimal. Check with Shooter's Choice. Gunsmiths in the Columbia area have more or less dried up otherwise.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Inovative Arms in Elgin. Do a search for him.

If you are not a gunsnith and/or have not been shown how to do it, you have balls bigger than a basketball if you try your own trigger job. That is just not safe. Need I go on?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Inovative Arms in Elgin. Do a search for him.
    http://www.innovativearms.com/contact.html

The guy's name is Phil. Tell him Sterling sent you his way; he'll take good care of you.

Before I really started to learn the internals, I got Shooter's Choice to do a trigger job on a 10/22. They did okay.

Since then, I've "grown" and now do all my own. Once you are REALLY familiar with the guts, then you learn where to file/stone/polish.

However, if you aren't really sure what you're doing, the SAFE thing would be to have someone else do it.

Thank you for the information guys. I finally had a chance to shoot some at the range at Indian Creek today and was flat out miserable- probably as much the shooter as the trigger pull on the rifle. RP & USMC- I just sent an e-mail to Innovative in Elgin- thanks. Also I plan to call Shooters Choice for their suggestions as well- thanks Swamp. This definetely looks like a job for the professional. I'll keep you guys informed. 300.
    Last edited by 300WINMAG; 12-07-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    In loving memory- KVP 1961-2009
    "Sooner or later the man who wins is the Man who thinks he Can!!!!!" Thanks Nor!!!

Cool deal.

I've done a fair share of 700 trigger work, but I got mine accidentally too low on engagement once and it was unsafe until I put it right. Never got past the testing/dry firing stage to determine that (so it never went "bang" when it shouldn't) - but I definitely don't work on other folks guns for simple liability reason.

I later replaced the Remington trigger with a Timney that was easier to adjust.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Remington used to give directions on how to adjust the trigger with every rifle sold, but that was a loooooog time ago. I do my own. It is not hard, but I would suggest getting a smith to do it for you. Call John Lewis at Carolina Precision. He doesn't just adjust them, he reworks them including minimizing and polishing the sear bearing surface.

FWIW, there are 3 adjustment screws, one at the rear of the trigger housing and two in the front. The one that will get you in trouble REAL fast is the one in the rear. It is your sear engagement. The other two are weight and overtravel. You should be able to get most M-700 triggers down to the 38-42 oz. range. If you set the weight too light you can bump it or close the bolt and make it fire. The difference between just right and too light can be as little as 1/4 turn. With the sear screw it can be as little as 1/16 turn. If you don't know what you are doing you can create a very dangerous condition.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I like mine set at about 3.5 pounds...

If a Timney is as easy to put in a Remington as it was my Ruger, just about anybody with mechanical ability can do it. If you are looking to rework a factory trigger, I'd let somebody else do it for all the reasons stated above.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I like Timney's - Jewel's are better, but $$$$.

You can google the info for setting a trigger on a 700. I set mine on my model 7 at a crisp 2 lbs. No filing, honing or serious smithing involved, just turning screws and then a lot of safety/impact testing. Don't forget to relock the screws after adjustment with locktite.

I put a rifle basix trigger in my savage 110 a few years back. It's pretty easy but like everyone else said, DO

I put a rifle basix trigger in my savage 110 a few years back. It's pretty easy but like everyone else said, DO NOT TRY TO SET THE PULL TOO LOW. My uncle did this on one of his guns one time and had an accidental fire as he slammed the bolt shut for a quick follow up shot. Luckily it was in a hunting situation and no one else was around to be in danger. After you get it set, turn the adjustment screws out about three full turns and put a drop of thread locker on in and screw them back in exactly the same amount so they won't shift on you during recoil. A lot of people recommend attempting to dry fire it a few times by slamming the butt on the ground pretty hard just to make sure it isn't set too light.

Default ..

Mike Smoke, Smokehouse Rifles....go Ahead And Put A JEWEL In There
    Last edited by buckpro; 12-09-2008 at 02:53 PM.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Mike Smoke, Smokehouse Rifles....go Ahead And Put A JEWEL In There

None better if you have the cash.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You can google the info for setting a trigger on a 700. I set mine on my model 7 at a crisp 2 lbs. No filing, honing or serious smithing involved, just turning screws and then a lot of safety/impact testing. Don't forget to relock the screws after adjustment with locktite.
    I did the same, although my reading was more around 3 lbs, but that could be my 'digital fish scale" reading high.

Like the guys have said, don't mess with the Sear adjustment, just the two front screws. Instructions are readily available, and don't forget to either use Locktite or dab the screw heads with nail polish when done.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'