Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable!!!(to me anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by ducks031205 View Post
    Riverdog put it perfectly! And if you read the beginning of my post I told you I wasn't trying to stir shit up and I meant it. An ecollar is one of the most important things you can have in the field in my opinion...unless your name is Mark and your dog is the Dude, which it's not. Everyone's dog has made a mistake in the field and that is one of the best opportunities to train against that action. I own three labs, non of which have finished titles(yet), but I know that their OB training is sound enough that if I give the HERE command and possibly a nick on the collar they are returning promptly to heal. Strong OB is the most important step in training, to me! Don't get your feathers ruffled when you ask for responses but then don't like it when you get them. Dogs fuck up and handlers fuck up just as often! Remember that and try some of the advice that people give you...it's the only way any of us get better!
    i said nothing bout you stirring up shit and if you read my post after yours i said that i popped him twice so i said nothing out of the way about an e collar and who said i was getting feather ruffled. I mean could the dog being 10 months old an a pup have anything to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Telling a story on the internet is not admissable in court. You are not under oath. Its like telling a cop (when you are not in custody) that you have narcotics. There is nothing he can do if you deny him the search unless he gets a warrant( legally). Ya'll take this thing way too seriously.
    Exactly...........

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by BullCook View Post
    Sometime back on the 'fuge, a guy found a dead owl on the road.
    He took a picture of it setting on the bow of his boat, which was on the trailer behind his truck. The bow shot also had his boat numbers in it.
    A FED saw the picture and chased him down.
    Result was A BIG TICKET AND LOTS OF COURT TIME !
    You have admitted to attemping to take a bird out of season........ no matter how innocent you think you are, it was your dog under your control !!
    "YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT........."
    that is the bottom line, you should learn from other's mistakes.
    Admitted to take a bird out of season????? thats almost hilarious bullcook and I aint gonna go post pictures of a Turkey that is not DEAD remember the turkey was alive and moving and not bleeding ...i took the picture to show my uncle who owns the land and like one of ya said on this thread ..dogs have mess ups and thats my dogs first so far i mean he is only 10 months old ...i guess i really dont get how any of you could criticize this much...its my first dog that i have ever trained so im new to it...

Hey Matt, wouldn't that then in turn give the officer probable cause to search you or your vehicle and belongings?

do you own an e collar?
    Just does'nt know how to use it.......

Quote Originally Posted by huntboykins801 View Post
    I popped him twice with the collar and said here bout 100 times ...he is a damn dog and when dogs see stuff like that then they don't care bout no HERE or e collar...
    See above....... it does have more than a #1 nick doesn't it? Burn Dat A$$ and get his attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
    the intent is to explain the importance spending a little more time with your dog on some basic obedience training. In the field, someday you may need it to keep your dog out of trouble....... as captain of your hunting team, your #1 priority is to keep your hunting partner safe and away for any potentially dangerous situations if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhrse View Post
    Sounds like outa control dog mite need some work..lol
    Ya Think?

Dogs fuck up and handlers fuck up just as often! Remember that and try some of the advice that people give you...it's the only way any of us get better!
    Sounds like he already knows it all.....

dogs have mess ups and thats my dogs first so far i mean he is only 10 months old ...i guess i really dont get how any of you could criticize this much...its my first dog that i have ever trained so im new to it...
    Sounds like many more "mess ups" to come if you don't take some constructive criticism and learn from it. For as how I can say anything, I don't have enough time to type every scenario of when I've keep my dog out of trouble and safe. The point is teach your dog basic obedience, and quit making excuses that it's your first dog.

Hey man, Listen to Tha Dick. We all have some pretty damn good dogs that we are all proud of but if we were to list all of the times the dogs have made us look and feel stupid(kind of like when Abby took a dump at the line at the last CRC test) it would take up way too much space on this board. Try to take most of the responses as constructive criticism, we are not trying to belittle you or your dog we are just giving our advice from experience on how to better enjoy the hunts with your pup. Fish on the other hand is just a smartass so try not to listen to him! ha ha

anybody heard of such and could she have been on eggs??
    Not sure. Try copy and paste into the Gobblers Roost and see what the turkey experts have to say.

You need to remember what Dick said. That collar does have more than a #1. You popped him once, no response. Now its time to roll him! Several things would have happened, dog would know that you are in control, NO means NO, here means here and injured bird with broken leg and wing that cant fly wouldn't have to try to fend off preditors with only one leg. Dogs will mess up. Know Dat! But it is your responsibility as the owner, trainer and handler to be on top of the situation. I know, you dog is only 10 months old, I can read. But at that young an age, now is the time for the dog to understand that you are the boss, all the time, everywhere.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Telling a story on the internet is not admissable in court. You are not under oath. Its like telling a cop (when you are not in custody) that you have narcotics. There is nothing he can do if you deny him the search unless he gets a warrant( legally). Ya'll take this thing way too seriously.
    the wrecklessness of youth will be replaced by the wisdom of age !!

thanks guys i do admit i got alittle offended i guess i dont take criticism good when it comes to my dog. I just wasnt thinking when it came to popin him alittle harder when all that was going on but i thank yall for the advice and birdboy you are right he is still young so i can still take more charge than i have...sorry for being an ass guys!!

don't get carried away with that collar.

get some vids
    read a book
    ask some questions here

join a retriever club.
    xHCFKx

I'd like to thank my dad for coming, and my mom for being there...

Quote Originally Posted by stretcharmstrong View Post
    don't get carried away with that collar.

get some vids
    read a book
    ask some questions here

join a retriever club.
    Stretch brings up a good point. I assumed that the dog had been properly introduced to the collar and you had studied up on usage. Joining a retriever club would be a great idea. There are several in SC. Cherokee Foothills HRC in the up state, Charleston Retriever Club around Charleston, and Midlands HRC around Aiken. There are more, but I don't recall right off. The collar does little good with out first collar conditioning to teach the dog where the "pressure" is coming from. Best of luck as you continue to train.
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Birdboy u got any more info on the one in the upstate like when they get together and such

Birdboy u got any more info on the one in the upstate like when they get together and such
    I'm a member of Cherokee Foothills but I'd suggest you PM one of 2 guys on here. "tha dick" or Roux.

Tha Dick is pres. of the Cherokee Foothills HRC. He would be the one to get in touch with. He can get you on the mailing list for training days and all that stuff. A lot of good people in that club. Usually a few pro's at those training days that can give you some pointers and answer any questions.
    I'm working on my first dog (that I have trained myself) so I know what you are going through. First thing you as a owner/trainer/handler needs to remember is, never put a dog in a hunting situation that it hasn't been trained for in a "controlled" environment. You said you were trying to flush doves. I'm guessing your dog was quartering the field. Had it flushed doves, would it have stopped on the whistle or just given chase untill it decided to give up? If it gives chase to a low bird with lesser experienced hunters around, your dog could have been shot. I'm sure there are more than a few people that will read this and be pissed about the turkey, I'm not happy about it either, but what everyone (mostly) is trying to convey is that it is better to hunt with a trained retriever than to train a retriever on a hunt. Lot of good hunts get ruined that way and a lot of hunting buddies turn out to be just buddies at best.

it is better to hunt with a trained retriever than to train a retriever on a hunt.

thats pretty deep...can I borrow that?
    xHCFKx

Quote Originally Posted by stretcharmstrong View Post
    thats pretty deep...can I borrow that?
    It's a free world.
    I hunted with a guy some that everytime we went he had to take his dog. Dog would break at every shot and blink every bird. I understand a dog breaking on a retrieve, but to break and not even pick the bird up? Birds working and he's yelling at the dog. Dog would walk all over your gear, blind and gun. Just, no manners. Lets just say, he no hunt here no mo!

I my experience an E-collar won't work in this situation. I've had pointers take off after a deer that we may have jumped and take off. No matter how many times or how strong we shocked them they never missed a step. Never had a problem with rabbits or turkeys, but the pointers seem to love the deer. And these were fully trained high dollar pointers. Training flies out the window when they see that deer head for the woods.
    "Fun hipster shit is just poor Latino shit from 10 years ago"

thats because bird dogs do not have brains.
    xHCFKx

Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    I hunted with a guy some that everytime we went he had to take his dog. Dog would break at every shot and blink every bird. I understand a dog breaking on a retrieve, but to break and not even pick the bird up? Birds working and he's yelling at the dog. Dog would walk all over your gear, blind and gun. Just, no manners. Lets just say, he no hunt here no mo!
    Was it a Chessie? Buy the dude a dog lead for Christmas, and tell him to tie the dog off. Then when it breaks, it'll jerk him back in place - then kick the dog in the mouth a time or two.... It'll learn.

T.
    William Gettys Smart
    1830-1906
    Company A
    49th NC Infantry
    CSA

Remember....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=12958647

Years ago when Marion Burnside was Chairman of the Board of SCDNR, he had an obviously sick wild turkey come into the yard at Millaree. It wouldn't leave so they shot it to keep it from spreading whatever it had to the rest of the flock. He then called down to Assembly street to tell them to come get the bird and necropsy it. Problem was it was not turkey season. Instead, DNR sent a Gamewarden down to ticket their own Boss...

If you can't figure out the moral of this story then you deserve what is ultimately coming...