Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable!!!(to me anyways)

Default Unbelievable!!!(to me anyways)

Dont know if any of yall have ever had this happen but i thought it was insane...Me and my dad headed out to try and hunt a cornfield we have been seeing some geese land in after a successful duck hunt yesterday morning... My dog came along again just like the morning hunt and it was getting dark and we decided to get up and try and flush some dove from some tall grass....we got about 100 yards into it and a hen turkey flew up from about 10 yards infront of me(scared me to death) so my boykin took off after it and there was not a chance of stopping him...the turkey landed and my dog came back then took off again towards the turkey and jumped on it and i believe he broke her wing or leg and she could only crawl...she went to the woods and finally we got my dog restrained and she seemed to be fine so we left her there in hopes that she would heal up...took some pics of her too...anybody heard of such and could she have been on eggs??

Lemme get this straight. You left a wounded bird in the field?

Know what that means.....Damn good dog.

You ought to give him a steak and not just a dog biscuit.

MW
    Last edited by MorningWoood; 11-28-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    Hey!.. There's a Crow! Shoot That Black Bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Lemme get this straight. You left a wounded bird in the field?
    I was thinkin the same thing.
    Somebody told us Wall Street fell but we were so poor we couldn't tell. Cotton was short and the weeds were tall but Mr. Obama gonna save us all

Umm let's get it straight ..it was a HEN which are illegal to kill period and I was on dads orders to leave it and what he says goes! What else would I do with it...

......"HERE".......

One of the first commands in any basic obedience training..... situation would never have happened.
    UH HR Fist Full of Dollars MH NCH05 (Cash)
    HRCH Ravenwood's Miss Moneypenny JH (Penny)
    SHR Pocotaligo's Cash Advance JH (Vance)
    Winter Storm Advisory (Chilly)

Not trying to stir shit up, but do you own an e collar? If not you should look into purchasing one for that very reason.

accidents happen to everyone.
    dumbasses brag about them on the internet.

if it was a baby eagle, it would have been your ass.

First off...voted for mccain not obombya and second I wasn't braggin sportin and third I popped him twice with the collar and said here bout 100 times ...he is a damn dog and when dogs see stuff like that then they don't care bout no HERE or e collar...and if yalls dogs or you have never been in the situation then how could you say anything but hey look who I'm talkin to...

i just got mild epilepsy looking for punctuation.

Thats why you buy a lab.

Just messing with ya.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

Call the milk carton people. We might have found Spell Checks long lost brother
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

do I understand this correct ..................
    your dog doesn't know the d ifference between a duck, a dove or a turkey?
    and won't answer come or heel?
    what kind of dog you got, a walker deer dog??
    Last edited by BullCook; 11-28-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntboykins801 View Post
    First off...voted for mccain not obombya and second I wasn't braggin sportin and third I popped him twice with the collar and said here bout 100 times ...he is a damn dog and when dogs see stuff like that then they don't care bout no HERE or e collar...and if yalls dogs or you have never been in the situation then how could you say anything but hey look who I'm talkin to...

I have been in a similar situation.....

Situation #1...Dove hunting with my Boykin 2 years ago. Dove coming in. I banged away 2, probably 3 times and totally missed (as usual). I looked down and my dog was cutting a trail behind me towards 2 white chickens that were running across the corn field........ towards a paved, country road, several hundred yards away. There was nothing between my dog and those chickens except distance, and opportunity. Do you think he would have stopped on his own before he caught them or got to the road??? HELL NO! One sharp "TWEEEET" on the whistle, he turned towards me and sat. One loud "HERE" and he was back by my side at heel...... a potentially bad situation never happened.

Situation #2... Upland hunting and the same Boykin came within 5 yards of a wounded and very pissed off Hawk that couldn't fly. Biggest damn bird I think I've ever seen.... at least that's the way it felt at the time. After a short eyeball to eyeball stand off, I was able to quickly call him off the bird before he was able to engage in battle. Again, a potentially bad situation never happened.

It's all in what you want and expect out of your hunting dog. I do not expect my dog to turn a dove field into his own personal playground, to ruin everyone else's hunt. I expect him to be under control at all times. We hunt as a team, but I'm the captain of the team.

I'm not trying to bash you here...... the intent is to explain the importance spending a little more time with your dog on some basic obedience training. In the field, someday you may need it to keep your dog out of trouble....... as captain of your hunting team, your #1 priority is to keep your hunting partner safe and away for any potentially dangerous situations if at all possible.
    Last edited by Riverdog; 11-28-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    UH HR Fist Full of Dollars MH NCH05 (Cash)
    HRCH Ravenwood's Miss Moneypenny JH (Penny)
    SHR Pocotaligo's Cash Advance JH (Vance)
    Winter Storm Advisory (Chilly)

River dog,you should try gettin a neighbor who's chickens and guinnas(spellcheck word) just run loose in the field you train in.Great distractions and definitly great for DE-BOLTING.
    TB
    Bryan's Santee Delta Sunrise

Santee's Lucky #13 "Lotto"

Sounds like outa control dog mite need some work..lol
    Chop ure own wood an it will warm u twice

Riverdog put it perfectly! And if you read the beginning of my post I told you I wasn't trying to stir shit up and I meant it. An ecollar is one of the most important things you can have in the field in my opinion...unless your name is Mark and your dog is the Dude, which it's not. Everyone's dog has made a mistake in the field and that is one of the best opportunities to train against that action. I own three labs, non of which have finished titles(yet), but I know that their OB training is sound enough that if I give the HERE command and possibly a nick on the collar they are returning promptly to heal. Strong OB is the most important step in training, to me! Don't get your feathers ruffled when you ask for responses but then don't like it when you get them. Dogs fuck up and handlers fuck up just as often! Remember that and try some of the advice that people give you...it's the only way any of us get better!

Sometime back on the 'fuge, a guy found a dead owl on the road.
    He took a picture of it setting on the bow of his boat, which was on the trailer behind his truck. The bow shot also had his boat numbers in it.
    A FED saw the picture and chased him down.
    Result was A BIG TICKET AND LOTS OF COURT TIME !
    You have admitted to attemping to take a bird out of season........ no matter how innocent you think you are, it was your dog under your control !!
    "YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT........."
    that is the bottom line, you should learn from other's mistakes.

Telling a story on the internet is not admissable in court. You are not under oath. Its like telling a cop (when you are not in custody) that you have narcotics. There is nothing he can do if you deny him the search unless he gets a warrant( legally). Ya'll take this thing way too seriously.