Thread: Ak47, Ar15, Hk-91

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Ak47, Ar15, Hk-91

Dropped by the pawn shop a few minutes ago. The guy only had 3 AWs all new.

He had an American made AK47 - $600

A Bushy AR15 - $989

A spin-off HK-91 $789 (.308)

I liked the 91 a lot but I'm partial to the .308. The one he had I think was a PBT or PBI brand.

Any opinions on this weapon? Is it basically a CETME?
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 11-10-2008 at 01:05 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule葉o all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

That is a lot like something that our local mud cop once had. Is it a PT-91? It is a lot of fun to shoot and supposedly better built than an HK.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

RP,
    Yeah that's it, a PT-91. The weapon is pretty heavy built. After holding the Bushy and then picking the 91 up it was like it was built of lead.

Have you shot one? If so any opinions?

I read some about them online when I got home. Said the platform had been used often to build sniper rifles.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule葉o all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

This is the gun. It's a PTR-91F

http://www.ptr91.com/product_pages/ptr91f.html

PTR 91 C
    Standard Rifle with Muzzle Compensator
    General Information:
    • Caliber: 7.62 NATO (.308 Winchester)
    • Operation: semi-automatic, recoil operated weapon, with delayed roller-locking system.
    • Overall length: 40 inches (1.016 cm)
    • Weight w/o magazine: 9.17 lbs. (4.16 kg)
    • Sight radius: 22.52 inches.
    List of improved parts and descriptions:
    • Semi-automatic receiver (US): manufactured from .059 stamped steel, and to correct specifications, making for effortless assembly and disassembly. The recesses for the engaging of the original scope claw mount have been CNC machined with the proper angles in order to have flawless claw mount operation.
    • Front sight blade (US): made of laser cut and heat treaded steel to exact specifications.
    • Barrel (US): 18-inch heavy target barrel with a 1 in 12 inch twist.
    • Trunion (US): fully machined and manufactured to original specifications.
    • Cocking tube: new, with excellent fitting and perfect functioning.
    • Furniture (US): high quality polymer and interchangeable with HK-91 and G-3, consisting of US MADE Navy style pistol grip housing, handguard and butt stock.
    • Finish (US): first parkerized and then coated with a matt black scratch resistant finish, for a long lasting "new from the box" look.
    • The PTR-91 comes with a 20 round magazine, but it also accepts 5, 10 and 20 round magazines from H&K-91, G-3 and CETME.
    • Warranty: PTR 91 Inc., provides a one-year limited warranty to the original owner, starting from the date of purchase.
    • PTR 91 Inc., is confident that all discriminating shooters and collectors will find this rifle a highly desirable addition to their collection, always proving itself on the range and in the field.
    Suggested Retail Price: $1230.00 USD

The PTR is a clone. Plain and simple. If you're an HK "purist", then it is junk. (NOT saying it's junk!) Has HK lost their minds and totally screwed over civilian firearms owners? Sure they have, and they have done so quite well. That's why other companies have come along and tried to pick up where HK left off, and offer civilian sales at a decent price.

I've shot a HK-91, and I enjoyed the rifle. The recoil is nice due to roller-lock action, however, it does let you know that you ARE firing a .308.

Downfalls:
    *expensive to feed now that almost all South African cheap stuff is gone
    *not gonna gain in value like it's cousin

Advantages:
    *parts are everywhere (I'm pretty sure they're all HK spec)
    *looks cool

As far as the actual rifle goes, if you get it, ditch the scope mount. It is JUNK! Ge the A.R.M.S. claw mount, and never look back. Then you can mount a nice scope, or even an Aimpoint. Or, you could go the more traditional route and get an authentic Hensholdt scope.

And, from personal experiance, stay away from the A3 (collapsible) stock for this rifle. While it looks cool, it isn't practical -- it is uncomfortable and provides no cheekweld what-so-ever.

Now, if you really, really like the rifle, and the platform, and hope to see the value multiply in the future, then I'd suggest you seek a true HK-91. They can often be had for $1,900-$2,200.

For shits 'n grins, here's my HK-93 up front:

Last edited by USMCsilver; 11-10-2008 at 03:07 PM.

What about mags for the PTR-91? Easy to find? Capacities I can find?

The one at the pawn shop is a 91F. The guy wants $800, it's a brand new gun. I could tell the guy didn't know what he was talking about at all when it came to the assault weapons. The PBR site says $1230 retail, someone on assault web said $1000 wholesale. So I figure I can't go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    What about mags for the PTR-91? Easy to find? Capacities I can find?
    Mags are EASY (or were easy) to find and are not too expensive (my 93 mags are about $75 a pop.

Capacities are 5 and 20 rounds. I don't recall any 10's, but I'm not too sure there. 20 rounders run about $20-$25. The 5 rounders are the ones that went with the PSG-1 and I think they're kinda pricey @ $125.

Check: www.sturmgewehr.com
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 11-10-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Ok thanks man.

Yes I have shot one. I had a target set up, that helps, and let go 60 rounds. Some actually hit the target. Consistently.

This was at Mid Carolina Rifle Club. There was a fella next to me and we started talking guns. He said the worst thing, and only thing, wrong with my gun was the trigger. I told him I thought it was pretty good. He lookked at me as if I were an idiot. What's new? And believe me, I have gotten used to the "Are you stupid looks."

Anyway, the guy picked it up and took a few shots and said I must have had a trigger job on it. He was truly impressed. Seems he works for a company that does a lot of custom work for mass quantities of rifles.

To my knowledge, the gun has not had a trigger job, and it really shoots. Does not feel anything like an AR. You need to remember to release the loading bar and not let it just move it to place, let it slam shut. But I have been told that may be the problem with the shells I shot.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

tradorion Coots

it has a trigger job- trust me...

Or the triggers really that bad?

I had forgotten about the SC tax free gun days on the 28th & 29th, so I called the guy this morning and told him I'd drop by and lay another couple of hundred $$s on the gun then pick it up on the morning of the 28th. Saves me around $60 or so in taxes, I'll use that for mags and ammo.

Good going.

I don't recall how crappy the triggers are.

Nice un MG!!!

I had a friend at The Citadel whos father had one of those rifles. He used to cut hogs down with it in droves... he had a red-dot on it.

I'll agree that a semi-auto .308 is a wicked hog killer.

My FAL went out one day on a hunt. Layin' down lead on a runnin' hog is crazy fun!