Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD or S&W M&P??????

Default Springfield XD or S&W M&P??????

Ok Swamp, CWP, USMC, and others, I'm seriously thinking of adding another high capacity .45ACP to the gunsafe before Mr. President Elect is sworn in. I have a Glock 21, but it is from the mid 90's and does not have a tactical rail. Articles in recent issues of The American Rifleman have had excellent reviews of the Springfield XD and the Smith & Wesson M&P. Give me your feelings on these as well as any others that I may need to consider. Primary use will be home defense. Definitely want he option of a laser/light that can be easily attached via rail system. Would like to stay in the $550 to $650 range if possible. Thanks, 300WM.
    In loving memory- KVP 1961-2009
    "Sooner or later the man who wins is the Man who thinks he Can!!!!!" Thanks Nor!!!

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I haven't messed with the M&P so I can't say. I like the feel and pointability of the XD, but I don't really like the longer trigger reset and higher bore axis, but if you like it go for it. I am also looking at the same decision. I will probably go with the Glock.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I wouldn't rule out the Kimbers. This month's issue of Combat Handguns magazine had some articles on the Coverts and the Crimson Carrys.

They also had an article on the newest handgun from Springfield. Can't remember the name of the gun.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Funny story real fast:

May 5th, my birthday, I was down at our beach house and managed to get back to Bass Pro so my wife could buy a rifle she was eyeing:

Anyway...there I was, my birthday, and she was getting a rifle, even opened up an account and got the "whopping" 10% discount. I was standing there, depressed because I wasn't getting shit, and glaring at the M&P in the case. It looked great. I'd read AWESOME things from actual owners. I knew if I held one, I'd have to take it away that day. My wife told me to get it if I wanted, but her rifle ended up being a bit more than I had planned after all the goodies that went with it.

So -- I looked. I was damned tempted. I wanted it, but didn't succomb to the sickness.

I've played with a XD and actually borrowed a friend's for over three months, but never got a chance to fire the .45. It seemed okay, but the M&P impressed me more from a visual standpoint. The XD felt good, but due to the high bore-line, it didn't seem to point like some pistols normally do for me.

I know that this post is utterly pointless. I've been drinkin', and I'm pissed I don't have a M&P, so yeah, I guess that one gets my vote.

(However, don't discount other fine brands -- Sig, HK, etc.)

I love my Springfields. All of them.

I was a Glock fan until I held a XD.... Then I became a XD owner.

tradorion Coots

Default only those choices??

With those 2 to choose from- XD ALLLL day long...

The Smith M&P series is nice-- but looking at smith's history lately they have been all over the place way too many times for me to trust that the M&P will be here in 3 years... the XD is the alter-Glock and firmly entrenched in the gun world.

R

I'd look at the Glock Model 21SF (Short Frame) if they are out yet.

It has much better grip size than the original 21, it has the rail you want, and your existing mags will work fine in it.

Other than that, if I was looking for a high-capacity .45, I'd be looking at Para-Ordnance... and probably an LDA from them.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

tradorion Coots

Default 21SF Is Out

The 21SF is out- i own one... It's OK but i am not a huge fan of it compared to the other Glocks I own... even in SF it feels like holding a cinder block and the accuracy does not awe me like my Glock's in 40 and 9mm...

For the record NEW mags will work in OLD Glocks but NOT vice-versa a 21SF mag will fit a G21 but not the other way around...

Default ..

i have a m&p .45, fired more than a 1000 rounds through it, never cleaned it and it never jammed..... i heard the springfields were breaking firing pins.
    i have both but i like the M&P way more

What Caliber Do Yall Reccomend In The M&p... Im Lookin At Getting One Around Christmas.... Cant Decide On The 9mm Or The 40, Or Even The .45

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    What Caliber Do Yall Reccomend In The M&p... Im Lookin At Getting One Around Christmas.... Cant Decide On The 9mm Or The 40, Or Even The .45
    Remember, the smaller it is, the cheaper it is to shoot...

tradorion Coots

Default EMT "evidence"

45 is AWESOM but costly- hits hard too but is bigger and thus harder to conceal.

EMT's that I know that handle shootings tell me that with good JHP ammo they can't tell a 40 from a 9mm hole in a shot-up person...

Thus I have ALOT more stuff in 9mm these days that in my past.

T

Coming from an EMT.... What do you want to accomplish? If you want them DRT, try the 45 or 40. If you want one that you shoot and he comes after you can kicks your ass, try the 9mm. Now take into consideration it is all where you put the bullet. A well placed 9mm will DRT you also but I see a lot more walking wounded from 9mm than from 40 or 45. Most of the time when you get there and they are pissed off at being shot you know its a 9mm or 380. You know what they say.... 45 goes in like a dime and comes out like a cash register! I carry a 40 cal.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

tradorion Coots

Default STATS? or hearsay??

Give me the location of your facts TrailerTrash...

For years everyone heard what a badass knock-them-down-and-walk-all-over-them the 45ACP was...

but the facts didn't always support the hype.

Bullet/projectile technology has come a long long way... enough so that there is a trend in more law enforcement agencies to go "down" to the 9mm than "up" to the 45ACP.

It is all about bullet placement with a decent caliber and dead is dead is dead- 45 or 40 doesn't make you more dead- and if you save $$ with the 9mm then MAYBE that money will be used to train/shoot more often.

T

...or get you guys some kick ass tricked out name tags.

I'm packin .40

Why? I picked the one in the middle. Same way I always find my date after I've been drinkin. Pick the one in the middle.

tradorion Coots

Default you picked your date

off the Geico Commercial didn't you Flo??

Not trying to steal the thread, but what do you guys think about the XDm? Is it too big to conceal?
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

The XDm will not be too big to conceal at all I conceal my XD 40 everyday. And Buckpro I don't know where you heard that the firing pins on the XD were breaking, we carry the XD at work and out of about 180 people shooting thousands of rounds a year through them we have never had a firing pin break. The XD is a shooting machine !