Thread: Baikal SxS question

Default Baikal SxS question

I just bought a used Baikal SxS with 20 gauge and 28 gauge bbl sets. I 've got a question about it. When you shoot it one time the safety reengages and you have to knock it back off before it will shoot again. Is this normal or is it fucked up? I know its a cheap gun but I did'nt give the guy but $250 for it. I figured I could use it as a stake to tie my dog out if nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Many SxS's have automatic safeties. With the gun unloaded and the breech closed, push the safety forward. Now thumb the opening lever, I'll bet the safety will slide back into the safe position.

That is normal for most side-by-sides. I've got a Browning BSS and a Parker VHE and both have automatic safeties.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I just googled the specs of the Baikal SxS and, yeap, it's got an automatic safety. I like my guns with the auto safeties.

SINGLE-TRIGGER ACTION allows sequential firing both barrels in any order.
    • Excellent balance ensures convenient and quick aiming
    • Chrome-lined hammer forged barrels
    • Auto Selective Ejectors
    • Deep Blued Receiver
    • Machined Steel Receiver / Monoblock • Single Selective Trigger
    • Checkered Walnut Stock & Fore-End
    • Auto Tang Safety
    • Box Lock Action
    • Solid Rib

Man, look at this jewel:

I'd love to have this in .30/06 or .270.

Ya'll will have to forgive me, I'm new to doubles, I've only owned one other one. I understand the part about it being an auto safety. I'm taking that to mean that it will engage when you break it open, but I thought you could shoot both bbls before it reengaged?
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

That is a good lookin gun, what is that?

Yes, you should be able to shoot both barrels without the safety re-engaging. If it re-engages after only one shot and without breaking the gun open, there's a problem.

It could be the recoil or something mechanical.

Try dry-firing on an empty shell. If the safety re-engages there's something in the mechanics of the firing mechanism. Fixing this might take a gunsmith or more likely sending it back to Baikal.

If the safety stays off then simulate recoil by holding the gun loosely and kneeing the but of the gun. I shouldn't need to say this, but do this with the gun unloaded. It might take several hits but if the safety works backward you might be able to fix it yourself. Take the butt plate off and remove any screws in the buttstock along the under tang (where your hand might go if you were shooting). Remove the single, long screw in the buttstock. You might have to use a light to see the angle of the slot head.

Try to match the size of the screwdriver to the screwheads as closely as possible. Much of the steel used in guns, including the screws, are soft and easy to bugger up. Before you do this inspect these screws for the telltale "butterfly" look along the slotheads. This usually means the gun has been opened by someone else.

Once the buttstock is removed you should be able to see a the friction spring that gives the safety its click. You should be able to remove this spring or bend it in place. Get it tight enough to provide a positive click on the safety.

The gun in the picture is a side-by-side rifle Baikal makes. It looks beautiful, but SxS and O/U rifles are usually over $5k.

Yeah I did that, something is definitely wrong with it because you can dry fire both bbls simutaneously, but when you fire it with live rounds it reengages after each shot.

I called a gunsmith and he told me that some of the older model baikals were made like that due to some russian law that prevented them from making guns that would fire shots in consecutive order or something of that nature. I dont know if he knows what he's talking about or not. Does that sound possible? He said he could fix it but it would no longer have the auto safety that engages when the gun is broken open. Would do you think?

If he can fix it, I'd let him. Pumps, Autoloaders, and most O/U don't have autosafeties so no big deal.

Yeah thats true, I'll probably let him do it them, thanks for your help

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Now you see why you got it for $250
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Now you see why you got it for $250
    You're right, but a $35 trip to the smith will fix it so it still aint a bad deal on what is basically 2 shotguns for $285. I'd do it again

I have a baikal o/u I bought for my wife She loves it ! It doesnt do that so There is a for sure problem.

My .02

Jon