Thread: Bought My Unborn Son His First Rifle!!!

Default Bought My Unborn Son His First Rifle!!!

Just got back from Wally World. Cleaned them out of Remington Subsonic .22's and also picked up a rifle for my unborn son who's due here on Christmas Eve.

Got him a Crickett like this one:

Cute little rifle, decent quality, and an interal lock that looks pretty functional. Usually I'd be against a locking mechanism, but for this, it serves a purpose.

I've been watching eBay, too, for little 50cc Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda dirtbikes, but I've got to be a bit more reasonable and wait a few more years; I'm guessing three more will suffice.

Anyway, just figured I'd do my part to help boost post-election gun sales!

My boy got his cricket 2 years ago(Trey is 7 now) & it is a good little rifle.He is deadly on fruit at 20-30 yards!
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by DUCK BUSTER 68 View Post
    My boy got his cricket 2 years ago(Trey is 7 now) & it is a good little rifle.He is deadly on fruit at 20-30 yards!
    Do you have a scope mounted on it or is he using the peep sight?

Thats great, glad to know I'm not the only stocking up on guns for the little one.

My son was born in jan and already has a browning x-bolt 7mm-08. He also just recieved a syn/stainless 10/22 last night as well. Of course they will be well seasoned by the time he will get them, but they will be his if he wants them. Trying not use them too much to avoid wear and damage.

What you really need to do is pick him up a new AR(I know you have plenty but he or she should'nt feel left out) and a few thousand rounds. Maybe a new Kimber .45 would be nice. Even better, how about both with a S&W M&P thrown in with 10 high cap. mags. for everything! You're child is worth it!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

USMC,
    I'd let him learn on the iron sights. That's a dead or dying art anymore. In years past men have performed amazing shots with iron sights. Today I bet only a handful of people are left who are really good using them.

He can always go to glass later after becoming proficient with iron sights.

Just my 2¢
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 11-08-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Good idea! I LOVE irons, and can shoot mad groups with AR's!

Once hit a coot in the head at 75-85 yards with an old Winchester pump .22 with a bent front sight post. Funny thing is that I'm the only one who could ever shoot it; friends would always try it out, and be off. I shot it for years (my dad's who's I learned on). Made a few bucks off that shot many years ago...

Anyway, yeah, irons are good. Learn the basics and he's set for life.

When my son was about 6-months old, I took him to Smith & Smith and got him a Browning remake of the Winchester Model 12 in 28 gauge.

He's 14 now and is getting an A-bolt in stainless and walnut (it really looks good) for Christmas.

He's still shooting a youth model 870 for ducks (he killed two greenwings and a drake woodie yesterday), but a friend of mine gave him a Browning Citori.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 11-09-2008 at 08:17 AM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    USMC,
    I'd let him learn on the iron sights. That's a dead or dying art anymore.
    Ditto - 100%

It's only when your eyes get old like mine and Mergies that optics become so critical to make those long shots

Good purchase!
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

My youngest got his first deer using his Rem 700 VLS in .243 when he was 8. We had practiced target acquisition and trigger squeeze quite a bit courtesy of the family pet goat.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Ditto - 100%

It's only when your eyes get old like mine and Mergies that optics become so critical to make those long shots

Good purchase!
    True that. Unfortunately.

My dad's oldest brother used to shoot a .22 bolt action Savage all the time. Iron sights of course. He was so good it was scary. Long shots, close shot, running or flying the man was deadly with that gun. He would strike kitchen matches and shoot carpenter bees. When he rabbit hunted, even with dogs he carried only that rifle. Course this was back when there were a lot of cotton fields so he had open shots, but the dang rabbits were still running.

He even used to toss up cargo marbles and bust them in the air. He tried to teach my grandad how to do that but grandad could never get the hang of it. My uncle told him that you toss them straight up, when they stop before they start down is when you shoot'em. Grandad said they didn't stop, they went up and came down.

When I got my Marlin 39A Golden Mounty with the 4x Weatherby scope I took it to my uncles farm. He tried for 15 minutes to see a can on a fence post through the scope and never could see it.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

SCTIMBER Coots

I love a .22 and iron sights.

One of my favorite rifles to shoot in a Glenfield Model 20 in a .22lr. I bought that gun from a friend of mine for $25. It was beat all to heck and back and looked like somebody had ran over it. I know I have spent at least ten times the amount I payed for it in buying cartridges.

I used to shoot it just about everyday and go up to the point where I could almost cut a vertical playing card in half.