Thread: Rem 870 vs. 58 barrels

Default Rem 870 vs. 58 barrels

They have the same barrels other than the 58 has 2 holes drilled bc its gas operated. How much trouble is it to drill holes in the 870 barrel to work on the auto and will it be interchangable on a pump afterwards?

For the record these are all 12 gauge 2 3/4 only
    Last edited by Hooked 0n Quack; 11-05-2008 at 06:38 PM.

i dont know if i would try that...
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

HOQ,

If I'm understanding you correctly... I have my Dad's Remington Model 58 Sportsman. Didn't want to shoot it with his old polychoked barrel so I started looking for a replacement vent rib barrel. I do not remember where I bought it from, but I did find an 870 barrel that had the requisite gas port holes drilled in it needed for the 58. Swapped out barrels and it's shot fine ever since.

Should you be of the mind to install these holes on an old 870 barrel yourself, I suppose you could do it if you had the proper equipment to secure the barrel adequately and get the location, size and angle of the holes correct.

Gunsmith
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.