Bible Study Verse

Psalm 78:2-4
. . . [I] will utter hidden things, things from of old--what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation, the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. (NIV)

Thoughts:

My dad did not fish or hunt; I introduced him to fishing when I was a teenager. A good weekend for him was tinkering in the garage on some woodworking project.

He wasn't a big talker, but one of the things he did like to talk about was when he was a fire fighter for the Cincinnati, Ohio, Fire Department. This was in the days when horses pulled wagons to the fires. One of his tales that I still remember is about one snowy night: He was going to a fire, riding on the wagon, when it turned over on an ice-slick street and rolled down a hill to the Ohio River. For some reason, that night he was not in the place on the wagon where he usually rode, but on the other side. As the wagon rolled, he jumped free. If he had been in his usual place, he would have been crushed to death.

Not only was this a great story, captivating for a youngster, but it showed how God was there taking care of him that cold, snowy evening. God had other things planned for him--one of them was my birth. Dad was not married during his firefighter days. (TB)

Action Point:

Write Psalm 78:2-4, personalizing it by substituting "I" for "we," "my" for "our," and "father" for "fathers." Tell your children about your grandfather's early life and your own. I admit that when our kids reach their teenage years, they may not be too interested in hearing the tales of the "ancients;" so be attuned to the right time and situations. In the boat or in the field discussing your present outdoor trip is an excellent time to relate something about your early fishing and hunting life. In addition to life as sportsmen, relate stories about your whole life and your ancestors'. Tell your kids how and when the Lord provided for you, how He has been there for you your entire life; but don't turn it into a sermon.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day:

Keep a journal. Record the events of fishing and hunting trips, both good and bad. Write down how the Lord has been with you and what He has done in your life. Even if you don't share some of these things with your kids now, someday they may page through your journals and discover the person you were. They then can pass this heritage down to their children.

The Sportsmen's Devotional Team highly recommends the movie, "Fireproof" a well-done tribute to our brave American firefighters and to the sanctity of marriage. (In theaters now)