Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 footer

Default 12 footer

Posted on Fri, Sep. 26, 2008

Alligator hunters land 12-footer
    3 Charlotte-area men fought gator for five hours on Lake Marion

By JACK HORAN - Special to The Charlotte Observer

LAKE MARION — South Carolina’s first alligator season in 44 years has produced its share of behemoth catches, but one of the biggest so far is a 12-foot, 7-inch monster caught by three gator-hunting novices from the Charlotte area.

Matthew Samuels, 22, of Mooresville, brother Chris Samuels, 28, and David McConnell, 29, both of Hickory, N.C., said techniques they learned on the Internet helped them subdue the gator after a five-hour battle.

They launched their pontoon boat Friday afternoon at South Carolina’s Lake Marion carrying a not-so-high-tech crossbow and arrow, tethered to 80-pound-test line, spooled on a deep-sea fishing rod.
    With the help of a spotlight, Matthew Samuels said, they stalked up to nine big alligators and fired arrows. But the reptiles escaped by sinking out of sight.

Then, at 3:30 a.m., after 10 hours of cruising, Chris fired the crossbow and struck one in the neck.

A 90-minute pursuit in the dark ensued, and at times it was downright “eerie,” Matthew said.
    “We didn’t know how big the alligator was,” he said. “He would go down to the bottom and you could feel him (through the line) taking steps like he was walking across the bottom.”

The gator surfaced, then went down for 50 more minutes. When it surfaced again, the men shot a second arrow into the gator with 400-pound test line attached to a float.
    “Then he took off again,” Matthew said.

Eventually they pulled the gator to the boat and fired the first of 18 shots with a .45-caliber pistol to kill it. It was 8:50 a.m. when the trio beached the animal at the Big Oak Landing and Campground in Cross.

The men then drove back to Hickory, N.C., and spent the rest of the day and evening processing the gator. They plan to have the hide tanned.
    Matthew estimates it weighed 800 pounds, making it among the biggest taken since the gator hunting season kicked off Sept. 13.

With a growing population of 100,000 or more alligators, South Carolina this year became the eighth state to allow public hunting of the once-endangered species.

The season was deemed necessary by state officials because the reptiles are threatening people and pets. Last September, an 11-footer bit off the arm of a 59-year-old man swimming in Lake Moultrie.

The state’s Natural Resources Department issued 1,000 tags, each good for one gator 4 feet and longer. The biggest caught so far is reportedly a 13-foot, 4-incher taken in Lake Marion.

Even after bagging their 12-footer, the season isn’t over for McConnell and the Samuels brothers.

They still have two tags among them and plan to go out again Oct. 10-11, the final two days of the S.C. season.

Staff writer Mark Price contributed.

18 shots......sumbitch musta still been twitching.

I wonder how many out of state residents were drawn for gator tags this year.

Too many chess.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Even on a 12 footer, I just don't see the need for so many shots. You've gotta go to a bigger caliber. I wonder just where those shots were going....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I Dont See Where 18 Shots Are Needed Either...... However I Did Shoot A 9 Footer 3 Times With The 44 Mag 240 Grain Bullet...... One Of Which Barely Made It Under The Skin........ Which Of Course Was A Bad Shot That Was A Little Bit Too Far Back... If You Get Them Right Behind There Skull, Angled Forward, They Aint Goin Nowhere

They were poets from Charlotte for Lord's sake. I'm suprised that came home with something.

it's people like that who quote things to the media such as "it took 16 or 18 shots." that really make hunting and hunters look bad. somethings are best left untold....

A well placed round, out of a bangstick, with just about any caliber will do the job.

These assholes are making us look bad....kinda like those guys on WIS that shot theirs 16 times....morons!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Note the angle and placement of the bangstick in this link. The same hols true for a shot from a handgun.

http://www.mdwfp.com/xNet/Files/Wild...tran%20PDF.pdf

how in the hell did three turds from north carolina end up with three tags, dumb sob's you reckon they got a little skeered shootin 18 times at a little gator

1 Shot with a 9mm took care of a 11'7 gator with no problem !
    Probably they couldnt shoot for crap !

Oh well.

Jon

Ima tell you what. 1 or 100 shots, we are shooting the sombitch until he is dead. Period!

They Were Prolly Just Shootin At The Gator And Not Trying To Place A Shot In The Back Of The Head.... Everytime It Would Come Up They Would Prolly Shoot....

Thats exactly the deal !

p i told you one shot from the mathews in the back of hte head when he is beside the boat will kill him, or we could use the special bullets and not worry about it..

I'll say this gator will die from multiple wounds, to the head, neck, ass, nuts.... etc.

Biz, y'all got a bush axe? That'll take care of the part the pistol doesn't.

Sawzall

Good luck holdin him still w/that.

Simp, I meant to call you back but the redwine knocked me out. I'll ring you around lunch or so.