Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leveling Kit or lift Kit?

Default Leveling Kit or lift Kit?

I have got a 1999 chevy Silverado ext cab 4wd(newer body syle). It is now time for new tires and I have really been thinking about going with the 285/75 r16 mickey thompson mtz's. I recently ordered some belstein shocks they should be in early next week. My question is now I kind of what to possible raise my truck a couple of inches or maybe put a leveling kit and go with a wider or taller tire. Does anyone have any recomendations? What have other people done to their trucks. I don't want to do anything crazy and i do a decent amount of driving.

you dont need to do anything if you only have 285's. 35'' tires + you would want a leveling kit. But imo with 285's dont do anything, they wont rub.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.

ps, if i were you id do 315 or 35'' in the same tire, with a leveling kit.

Or get a set of ford torsion keys, they raise the front end, but you take a serious hit to the ride quality.
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.

Fresh: If your goin to run 285's on a chevy you need to turn your torsion bars up or get a set of torsion bar keys. I recomend Ready lift keys, they are good quality and not to expensive. You will not run a 35" tire on a truck without atleast a 4" kit and even then I would suggest 33's. To run 35's I would suggest a 6" kit so that you will not have any rubbing. Even with a 6" kit and 35's you still have to trim your lower valance a little but nothing to drastic! I mean if you only drive straight you can go with 35's and no lift but good luck turning. You can get all that stuff from Hudson Bros. in Lexington. The way gas is man I'd just go with a set of torsion keys and 285's. It will look good and not kill you at the pump. Hope this helps!!
    Big Poppa Panty Dropper

285's wont scrubb at all 33's wont either with your factory keys cranked up. But as for F-150 keys, id seriously reconsider. Ive seen and herd a few horror stories about them poping a couple of CV joints, wearing out steering components, and destroying every bushing in the front end. A-Arms just arent happy at that angle.

I've got a '99 with 285s and I turned my torsion keys up 2 full rounds. Mine rubbed on the control arms just a little and they touched the front bumper when the truck flexed. Nothing happens now. Mine goes off road a lot on the farm and hunting so I wanted to make sure nothing even touched.

I don't see how you guys run 35s on a stock truck..........I just don't see how it is possible unless that tires don't measure anywhere near true.
    Last edited by buckshot1224; 09-25-2008 at 07:42 AM.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Thanks for the advice. From what I have read I am definitlely going to stay with the 285 tire. the only thing left to determine is to get a leveling kit or just crank up my torsion bars. My only fear with the torsion bar adjustment having possible issues with ball bearing's, etc. I did find a leveling set on Ebay for $50 so I am sort of think this is the way to go. One other note is I already have 285/75 R16 BFG all terrians on it now. So I might be able to get away with just throwing the tires on.

Thanks

get the keys and put some 315's on there, a little rub won't hurt =)
    For the ducks

I'm running 285's on a stock '04 4x4 2500 HD. They rub occasionally against an air dam. I never touched the torsion bars.

You will lose some performance with going up in tire size and your speedo will be off.
    Last edited by justpracticin; 09-25-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

my speedometer was off by 8 till i put superchips in and one of the features was the ability to correct the speedometer
    For the ducks

Fresh, I have a 2000 Silverado that had the 285's and the torsion bars cranked all the way and had no trouble clearing them. Over the summer I bought new shocks and got the Ford torsion keys but didnt crank them all the way. I am now running Nitto 35's with no rubbing and I havent had any problems with any of the front end components wearing out on me(knock on wood). The after-market shocks make a big difference with ride quality and if you are thinking about a leveling kit you might as well just get the Ford keys bc a buddy of mine bought a "Silverado Leveling Kit" and all they were was exact Ford keys I had.

I got a set of green keys that would work if I am not mistaken. Send me a PM if you are interested in em
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

All ya'll that are running 315's or 35's on chevys with the torsion bars cranked and that's it, ya'll have to be rubbing or ya'll did some serious cutting. A 2500 is different cause they sit higher already.
    Big Poppa Panty Dropper

Quote Originally Posted by BPPD View Post
    All ya'll that are running 315's or 35's on chevys with the torsion bars cranked and that's it, ya'll have to be rubbing or ya'll did some serious cutting. A 2500 is different cause they sit higher already.
    Ditto
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by BPPD View Post
    Fresh: If your goin to run 285's on a chevy you need to turn your torsion bars up or get a set of torsion bar keys. I recomend Ready lift keys, they are good quality and not to expensive. You will not run a 35" tire on a truck without atleast a 4" kit and even then I would suggest 33's. To run 35's I would suggest a 6" kit so that you will not have any rubbing. Even with a 6" kit and 35's you still have to trim your lower valance a little but nothing to drastic!

that is simply bullshit. period
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.

It all depends on rims I promise you, you can run 315's on stock rims with just the t bars cranked or new keys. Pretty much and rim other than stock is gonna run like crazy with 315 on it and just the bars cranked.

I'm going to have to raise the flag on that comment. You may be able to run a 315 that is only like 10" wide on stock rims but not a 315/75 at least not on a chevy.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

dude come on you want pics?
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.

I have a truxxs leveling kit on my truck and I have zero complaints.

i installed lift kits for almost 5 years and can tell you for a fact that you have to take alot of things in consideration when fitting tires under a truck, just because a guy tells you you cant fit 35s under a stock chevy dosent mean you cant, he might have his tires on 10" wide rims and youre going with factory rims. I just recently turned the torsion bars up on a buddys truck and he is now running a set of 315's on stock rims on a 98 chevy with very little rubbing, people say it cant be done and ill show you one! now on the other hand you take someone who wants those tires sticking way out on some big wide rims then yea you need some lift. heres my opinion, if all you going to run is 285's then put them on the truck the way it sits right now and then decide if you want to turn up torsion bars , lift kit, ect... youre truck will handle the tires right now but if you get the tires on and maybe turn the trsion bars up just a little in order to level the truck out then i think you will be happy!!
    1542 wareagle w/ 25 johnson
    1436 wareagle w/ 23 gdlt
    14' bugbuster w/ built 40 hammer
    1648 gdsd w/ 27 gdsd
    1650 polarcraft w/ built 40 hammer
    1848 gdsd w/ 35 gdsd
    1503 super-v w/ built 40 hammer
    1650 Joe Hancock special w/ ????

They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst!