Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rage heads

Glenn you are right........the moving parts deal is the only prolem and all in all they will fail at some point in time.........

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I'm impressed with the damage it causes, but I'm not sold on mechanicals... they just have an aura of flimsyness to me. That may not be accurate.

For now, I'll shoot my Muzzy 125's...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I bought some rage heads to use with my new crossbow this season. All the stuff I read talked about a penetration problem especially using a 50-60lb compound with light arrows so I'm sticking to fixed blades with my compound. A friend of mine that has been shooting crossbows for a while due to joint issues and he loves them and has never had any problem with em since his crossbow packs enough ass to push straight through the shoulder. The main thing I like about them is they shoot EXACTLY I've only had the chance to try them once this season and they worked great, but the durability for multiple shots might be an issue. I shot a coyote at about 20yds and nicked the front shoulder and plowed straight through the back one. Coyote dropped in his tracks and was knocked out for a few seconds. The asshole woke back up and bit my arrow in half though. When I recovered the broadhead, one of the blades was kinda bent and the edge was shot. I was able to bend it straight and get an edge back on it so we'll see how it performs round two.

Sorry, it posted on its own for some reason. The incomplete sentence should read "... they shoot EXACTLY like my field tips." I'll post some pics when I get to try them on a deer.

I think the penetration deal is just shot placement.........I'm only pulling 55lbs on my Patriot.............chronyed at 255.........do the KE math Glenn with that and a beman ics hunter 340 and a 100 grain head and blazer's..........I aint got the time and tell me what you get..........
    Last edited by ccleroy; 09-24-2008 at 09:50 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Okay damnit, this is the last time (probably not but who knows) I'm going to say this so listen the hell up...

...ALL BROADHEADS, REGARDLESS OF TYPE, WILL FLY THE SAME AS FIELD POINTS IF YOUR BOW IS PROPERLY TUNED. CHOICE OF HEAD SHOULD NEVER BE BASED ON YOUR INABILITY OR LACK OF DESIRE TO TUNE YOUR SET UP BUT RATHER ON EFFECTIVENESS.

Now, if the mechanical heads meet these criteria, fine but quit using the excuse that "they fly like my field point" because it's bullshit and an excuse to shoot a marginal set up.

God why do y'all make me hit you all the time?

I am shooting 60lbs on my bowtech, Arrow is 250 Maxim Weight Forward, 100 grain muzzy. I had a clean pass through on the deer I shot. I switch to the rage just to see what would happen. I think it is all about shot placement though. I believe all are good products.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

I think all rage heads are 100 gr. I don't know about GBelly's arrows.

If I hit right behind the shoulders, I couldn't care less if the blades bend. He's going home. And I certainly wouldn't be trying to resharpen any rage blades. That's why they make replacement blades.

Hell yea, I wish mine would throw sparks. Firecrackers,sparklers,and cherry bombs would even be better when I stick that bristle back swamp buck.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-24-2008 at 10:02 AM.

I'm not talking about "flyers" floating left and right in poor patterns. The broadheads cause more drag and consistently shoot about 6 inches lower than my field tips at 40 yards. Maybe other people don't have this problem if they shoot a faster compound. You should never ethically hunt with an inaccurace improperly setup bow. I agree that "they fly like my field point" is a bullshit excuse for someone with a less than perfect setup, but the absolute most important factors in broadhead effectiveness in making clean kills are shot placement, accuracy, and confidence. If someone gets their best consistent groups with Walmart special heads they'll be more confident in the field and will be a better hunter with that head. I don't shoot expandables in my compound bc I'm not confident of their penetration under 300fps. A friend of mine recommended the rages for a crossbow based on his own experience. So far, I like what I see so I'm going to stick with them for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I think the penetration deal is just shot placement.........I'm only pulling 55lbs on my Patriot.............chronyed at 255.........do the KE math Glenn with that and a beman ics hunter 340 and a 100 grain head and blazer's..........I aint got the time and tell me what you get..........

Around 86 out of the bow. True test is down range momentum.

Stick with products that have been proven over and over. Muzzy 3 blades have done just that over many years.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I prefer a wooden arrow and a rock hand sharped tied to the end. j/k

I have switched back and forth and can't make up my mind, never had a bad exoerince with Muzzy, but switched to mech to get a bigger cutting diamiter. Kill several deer, but lost a deer with them, shot a couple that didn't bleed as well as I liked. So this year I went back to Muzzy, have been thinking hard about Magnus though!

Magnus stingers are very good heads.

Mike Sohm and company are top notch and unless you loose it, you will never have to buy another BH d/t their 100% replacement guarantee on all of their heads.

You shoot it through a deer and it bends, breaks, wobbles, whatever. You send it back and they send you another FOC.

Quote Originally Posted by b-rad54;285182[B
    ]"The"[/B] broadheads cause more drag and consistently shoot about 6 inches lower than my field tips at 40 yards.
    What heads? I'm shooting the widest fixed blade head on the market that I know of and have never seen this. Weight is weight and gravity never changes. Speed change would account for what you describe but I've spent a year and a half under water, been to 3 goat ropin's, a worlds fair and have been breaking arrows since I was 6 and I've never seen a BH create that much drag as to drop an arrow six inches lower than a field point of the same weight at 40 yards.

Anyone? or am I full of shit?

you are full of shit, but not in this regard. something aint right with b-rad's set-up....unless he has 100 gr field points and 125 gr heads.

but only a dumbass would do that.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I miss you so much I hurt inside.

Well you must be one big breath holdin, goat ropin, worlds fair attendin, arrow breakin, bow tunin badass, but that's what happens from my bow. Maybe with a better/faster bow you don't see this. I'm not trying to be a prick here, but this may be the reason for our different shooting. Prepare for the nerdyness. Rate of decent from gravity is irrelevent of weight. It's all about air resistance which is directly proportional to cross-sectional area in 2-D (slightly more with a 3-D object). If you double cross-sectional area, you approximately double drag. I use solid cast broadheads with a greater cross-sectional area than most replaceable blade broadheads. If you have a better bow that is able to shoot a heavier arrow at the same speed (I shoot the lightest arrows I can get) you have a greater momentum since it is also directly proportional to mass letting it have a greater capacity to resist change of direction from the drag force thus reducing arrow drop and allowing greater down range penetration. Whatever the reason, I'm glad your bow shoots well for you. I'm sure you have put a lot of time and effort into your setup to get it perfect. Now you can go ahead and post your rebuttal. You are undoubtedly more experienced, and I'll let you have the last word. Lets get back to personal experiences from the rage heads.

inside? better not be inside where the sun aint shining.

homo

will you call gene and explain to him that if a deer is at 7 yards, it will be at 20 yards at some point after that?

i think this area is causing some problems.

and then tell him that every spike is NOT genetically poor and does NOT eat better than the female deer accompanying said buck.

please?

thanks.

b-rad, you saying that your solid cast broadheads have LESS cross-sectional area than the broadheads that hit 6" lower?

i have a hard time following that part. seems to me that a light arrow would be less apt to resist the change from wind drag....no matter the cross sectional area of the head.

What did the injuns use in the old movies? They never missed much.

Seriously a question that has been on my mind, is why did folks go from fixed blade broadheads to the mechanicals? Just more of a wallop or what?

* Take in mind I don't know shit about bowhunting so don't use any big words