Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: question on hunting w/dogs

It's easier Fish when the property lines are Hwy 52 (4 lanes) Santee river, and CSX elevated train track w/ 130 right of way.
    Doin' what I do best! STRAIGHT KILLIN'

2010 SCDucks Deer Champion
    2010 SCDucks Turkey Champion
    2007,2008,2009, 2010 NBK Deer Killin' Champion

Maybe. But that isn't always the situation. In fact, I'd be inclined to argue that an arrangement like that is quite an exception to the rule.

Either way, you still can't guarantee that none of your dogs will ever get across that cut off point.
    Last edited by Fish; 08-20-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwamp Fox View Post
    As PBiz has already said we built a 1.75 mile fence that cost us about 5K to stop the conflict with an adjoining landowner.
    I'm impressed. How high is it? Just curious.

I try not to get too wrapped around an axle on this... the first deer I ever killed was on a dog hunt. I've been on some good ones on a big club down in Cades as well, back in the day, that were run right (they had like 5000 acres or something).

It IS fun to run em with beagles, too... and beags are easier to cut off... and they don't run the deer as hard. Sometimes they just slip out. Which makes it easier for my old butt to kill em.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

It IS fun to run em with beagles, too... and beags are easier to cut off... and they don't run the deer as hard. Sometimes they just slip out. Which makes it easier for my old butt to kill em.
    Thats one thing I will agree w/........I've owned many a pack of walker and at have always said one good way to solve most of the problems would be to resort back to using beagles.......thats what my club is doing now and it seems to be helping.....some of the other boy's are still running foxhounds and they will blow out the country quick.....most of the time a deer will just tip in front of a beagle........
    Last edited by ccleroy; 08-20-2008 at 12:51 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Huntinchessies, good thing you deleted that last post of yours! Serving our country eh?
    More fuel = more boost!!

Swamp it is 39" tall with an electric fence that sits 1' out and 1' from the ground, right about where those noses will hit it. Fish we are the exception. It's cool we know it. That's why we jump to our guns so quickly when dog hunting starts getting bashed on. Here or anywhere else!
    Doin' what I do best! STRAIGHT KILLIN'

2010 SCDucks Deer Champion
    2010 SCDucks Turkey Champion
    2007,2008,2009, 2010 NBK Deer Killin' Champion

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Huntinchessies, good thing you deleted that last post of yours! Serving our country eh?
    Musta hit the button quick......never got a chance to see it in between refreshing pages............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

Did he run and hide?

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Musta hit the button quick......never got a chance to see it in between refreshing pages............
    I can read deleted post
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I can read deleted post
    So telepathy is your unique gift........ha..........dang mod's
    Last edited by ccleroy; 08-20-2008 at 01:19 PM.

When them dogs come trespassing towards your place,and you figure to shoot them deer in front of said transgressors,do you sit in wood or steel stands? Is there a preference? Just curious.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

I was wondering how long it would take before this came up.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwamp Fox View Post
    As PBiz has already said we built a 1.75 mile fence that cost us about 5K to stop the conflict with an adjoining landowner. We are defiantly doing everything in our power to “play by the rules” and keep our neighbor happy. The Idea of dog hunting adversely affecting still hunting is a complete farce. On the one day of the week that the dog hunt actually takes place maybe, but dog hunting as a whole puts more deer on surrounding properties. I own a piece of property aprox 42 acres it is fairly close to a dog hunting club. For the last two years I have started my feeders in May after turkey season. My game camera proves that before the dog hunting starts I have 2-4 deer eating under the feeder all summer, however after dog hunting starts I have 10-15 deer eating under the same feeder. Most of the increase comes with horns. But I do believe as the Yankees take over and hunting lands get smaller the days of dog hunting are few. It will be a sad day for the Carolina Sportsmen when that happens.
    im sorry i have to disagree with you.. i dont get to hunt but on weekends when people run dogs. so since i still hunt i should only hunt during the week so they can have their fun too?? wrong so very wrong.

and fairly close isnt the same as RIGHT next door.... if they were down the road a mile or two i would have no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by greencows00 View Post
    and fairly close isnt the same as RIGHT next door.... if they were down the road a mile or two i would have no problems with it.

Try 300 yds
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by greencows00 View Post
    im sorry i have to disagree with you.. i dont get to hunt but on weekends when people run dogs. so since i still hunt i should only hunt during the week so they can have their fun too?? wrong so very wrong.

Dude do you not understand that you will see more deer when they start running dogs. Ans another thing its a freaking deer a souped up goat stop bitching and start killing deer when they run across your land, or can you not shoot that good?

i agree. use the dogs to your advantage.

and use private property rights to your advantage, too.

a conundrum, of sorts.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

A friendly pre-emptive heart to heart prior to the season will do the trick among honorable men. For the rest, posted signs enforced by stiff prosecution will discourage all but the true scum. Dogs don't read and should not be punished but they may need to be "quaranteened" a week if caught.

i figured Fish would join in with his expert OPINION...... he knows everything about everything else... why wouldnt he be a fuckin expert on dog hunting? you are a damn moron if you think people should put a fence up all the way around there property if they wanna run dogs..... is that what you really think?

never been on a drive, anyone want to take me on a dog drive? i'd like to experience it at least once in my lifetime
    Last edited by cusportsman; 08-20-2008 at 05:11 PM.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by huntchessies View Post
    dog's runing deer get "eaten by gators" all the time...... WINK WINK.... I'm one of those darn yankee transplants you all hate so much and back home in michigan if we see a dog runing deer it's expected that the dog is shot first.

wrong.... maybe...... but if i spent the money to own a large chunk of land and the time to manage it for good hunting i'd take care of my investment. can't say i'd go out of my way but i wouldn't shy from it.
    This is why I don't like most yankees'. Always imposing what they do from their home state. No one gives a shit what you do in Michigan. Your in the south now, and I hope someone fucks you up for shooting their dog. Around here when you shoot someone's dog, your at least gonna get your ass handed to you. Keep on bragging about shooting hounds.