Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: question on hunting w/dogs

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Why wait???? Here we go with embracing reality whether we like it or not....

Here is part of the problem as I see it. Due to the very nature of dog hunting and still hunting (technically a misnomer), it is not really possible for them to co-exist without having an impact on each other. This is from an adjacent or nearby property standpoint. They frequently have different and mutually exclusive goals in mind. Still hunting does not usually impact dog hunting negatively, unless some rogue shoots their dogs, but dog hunting definitely impacts still hunting negatively.

This was actually brought home to me today at work. A good friend who is an avid dog hunter and good guy asked how I did this weekend. I showed him a picture of the decent 17 incher that I got. He said wow, I wish we could kill deer like that. Then he went on to describe his hunt. He described the typical dog hunt, with the emphasis on hearing the dogs run and identifying his dogs in the pack.......which is fine. I realized that what we really had was two very different goals. Ours is to manage the herd and selectively take a small number of mature bucks and a few does. His is to enjoy the thrill of the chase and kill every legal buck and a good many does. I suppose that there are dog clubs who quality manage, but it is very difficult to be selective when a buck is being chased across a road at 90 MPH. My friend would like to consistently see and occasionally kill a big deer, but the way he hunts simply precludes this from happening except on rare occasions of sheer good luck or being near a club that quality manages......the old have your cake and eat it too routine.

I believe that folks should be able to hunt on their property the way that they want AS LONG AS it does not negatively impact hunters on the adjacent property from hunting the way that they want. Unfortunately, most (not all) dog hunters are just not willing to admit that their style of hunting negatively impacts other land owners. The smaller the dog club (property wise) the bigger their proportional impact.

If you take two similar 1000 acre tracts that are beside each other, with one being a dog club and the other a still hunting club, which one do you think benefits the most from having the other beside it?????? That should tell you who is impacting whom the most.

I believe that the answer is not to outlaw dog hunting wholesale, but to tightly regulate it like Georgia does. If you can't play your music too loud at midnight, because it impacts your neighbors, you shouldn't be able to do the the same thing when it comes to screwing up your neighbors hunting so you can selfishly enjoy yours. The smart dog hunters will see the handwriting on the wall and begin to police themselves before it is forced upon them. Unfortunately most will push it until they ultimately loose, then they will blame it on the rich still hunters, the yankees, the blacks, the Jews, the _____(fill in the blank).......anybody, except the real reason which is themselves. It is called denial and I guess it goes with the territory.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 08-19-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

First of all let me get something straight.

Don't ever talk about shooting people's dogs!!!!!!!!

WINK WINK. Whatever in the fuck that is supposed to mean.

Second of all, doghunters across the state are negotiating with land owners to keep this great sport alive.

Our club has taken drastic measures in preserving this sport.
    We are surrounded by 20,000+ acres of doghunting property. However, we have had conflicts with a neighbor whom owns 1200 acres. So, since we are having issues, we have come up with a few things to help this matter, on our behalf.

- We control the number of dogs we turn loose. 4 dogs per hunter, per hunt
    - We put up a buffer fence, stretching over a mile and a half between us and him.
    - But before we put the fence up, we quit running on our bottom 2000 acres, to prevent dogs from leaving our property.
    - And if by chance dogs did get on that 2000 acres, we would shoot the deer, regardless of size, just to stop the deer.

So next time you talk about doghunters impeading on your 200 acres, don't class them as a whole.

I have had more confrontations with still hunters and duck hunters than anyone else.

ps. Our family farm is 250 acres and we have doghunters whose property butts up to ours. Around October when they really put pressure on the deer, we see and kill two fold vs. anytime of the year.

My advice would be talking to the club in a civil matter. Find an agreement and stick with it.

However, I would press charges on all tresspassers.
    Last edited by PBiz; 08-19-2008 at 09:25 PM.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

I say get a shotgun and shoot deer as they run by... from a tree stand, close to the property line in a funnel.

Like it or not dogging is here, so cowboy up.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Jacksonville Fl (Beaufort SC on the weekends)

ohh boy i think i touched a sore spot...... It's simple respect. Pbiz and his club don't sound like the people that are causeing the problem. It's the outlaw "do what i want" croud that causes the problem. So what's the other guy supposed to do, quit deer hunting all together and just let the renagade dog hunters have at it?? If you've exhausted all CIVIL means and assholes want to be assholes then fine, whatever it takes. By all means try the nice way first as ALL good hunters SHOULD do with anything..... but more and more that don't work these days.

sounds to me that ain't working for this guy. and what i was refering to back home is a different situation, it's NOT legal AT ALL to use dogs so yes a dog running a deer will usually be shot. I've seen DNR do it themselfs. As you may guess it's a whole different hunting culture. Personally I think dogs for deer hunting is a joke, no skill involved, little work, and causes more problems than anything else. BUT i also think if it's legal and done with respect it needs to be preserved. R-E-S-P-E-C-T........ becoming a lost concept in the sport of hunting and it's going to destroy us ALL.... that was my point. Sometimes the best lessons i learned in life were the hard way.....
    Proudly owned by "SHR A hunters dream of Westwind"

****Hunting is a form of dog training but not the first wave of it. *****

Thats The Thing..... People That Own 250 Acres Think They Can Stop The Club Next Door That Owns 1000 Acres Just Because There Dogs Come Across There Land... The People That Own The 250 Acres Want To Be Able To Say What Is Ethical And What Is Not Ethical.... Dog Hunting Isnt Going Anywhere In The State Of South Carolina..... Not In Our Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by huntchessies View Post
    ohh boy i think i touched a sore spot...... It's simple respect. Pbiz and his club don't sound like the people that are causeing the problem. It's the outlaw "do what i want" croud that causes the problem. So what's the other guy supposed to do, quit deer hunting all together and just let the renagade dog hunters have at it?? If you've exhausted all CIVIL means and assholes want to be assholes then fine, whatever it takes. By all means try the nice way first as ALL good hunters SHOULD do with anything..... but more and more that don't work these days.

sounds to me that ain't working for this guy. and what i was refering to back home is a different situation, it's NOT legal AT ALL to use dogs so yes a dog running a deer will usually be shot. I've seen DNR do it themselfs. As you may guess it's a whole different hunting culture. Personally I think dogs for deer hunting is a joke, no skill involved, little work, and causes more problems than anything else. BUT i also think if it's legal and done with respect it needs to be preserved. R-E-S-P-E-C-T........ becoming a lost concept in the sport of hunting and it's going to destroy us ALL.... that was my point. Sometimes the best lessons i learned in life were the hard way.....
    no work? you are a joke dude....youve never been on a dog drive have you? the standers have no work....but they are a necesity....but a good dog man is one of the hardest workin hunters there is.

this isnt a question of how much land you have. that shouldnt matter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.

YOU TRY TO SHOOT A DEER RUNNING THROUGH THE TIMBER AT MACH 3 AND TELL ME IF THERE IS ANY SKILL IN IT.... ITS EASY TO JUDGE SOMETHING WITHOUT ACCUALLY DOING IT..... THERE IS ALOT OF SKILL INVOLVED IN DOG HUNTING.... I ONLY GO A FEW TIMES A YEAR BUT I CAN TELL YOU, IT AINT AS EASY AS YOU THINK..... MOST THINK ITS JUST GO OUT AND STAND BY A ROAD AND WAIT FOR THE DEER TO RUN TO HIM... SHOOT HIM... AND DO IT AGAIN.... I ENCOURAGE YOU TO TRY IT BEFORE YOU JUDGE THE SPORT....

Personally I think dogs for deer hunting is a joke, no skill involved, little work, and causes more problems than anything else.
    Personally, I don't like yankees.

And as far as dog hunting being a joke with no skill, you obviously are smoking rock.

It requires 100 times more skill than shooting a target on a corn pile. I do both, I know.

i wont stoop to huntchessies level, but he does come across as a fucking dickhead that ought to carry his ass back to Michigan.

not to mention, he knows jack shit about the sport from his posts.

not to mention "learning the hard way" is not shooting someones deer hound.

not to mention your bullshit is not gonna gain respect round here.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

bet a dollar to a dogturd that huntchessies would not talk about shooting deer hounds in public.

just another douche with no obvious skills...

had a florida yankee fuck transplant shoot a dog of ours years ago. i do believe that cocksucker is still paying.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

huntchessies, howd you like if your chessie wandered into your neighbors yard and took a shit on his grass, and he shot the dog?

its the same concept. i understand where both sides are coming from, but anybody that would shoot a dog cause it got loose and ran a deer is an absolute ignorant ass fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.

Somebody that shoots a dog is one spineless son of a bitch.

Default yankees are retards

I have heard a lot of ppl bitch about sitting in the stand and just hearing dogs 500 yards away much less running on their land. I still hunt and dog hunt, and most of the time if dogs get on your property, it will stir the deer up and the does will get the hell out, but the bucks will lay right there. Anyway as for shooting the dogs, that is a good way to get your yankee ass beat like a damn drum if the right person catches you! All you have to do is put out a little golden pile and sit, wait, and boom, then take the deer to the processor to clean because 99% of yankees don't have the damn common sense to skin a deer.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

This argument will never end. If it is a renegade running a couple hundred acres I can understand getting mad but if they have 1K+ and you have 160 acres in the middle of their tract sorry for you luck. Do you have a lab? Has he ever gone on the lamb? Did somebody fucking shoot him? The dog didn't do a damn thing to you other than what it was bred to do. Catch it, take it to the pound and get the fuck over it.
    Saying that all dog hunters are redneck shitheads is offensive and makes you as bad as a PETA activist.
    If you really want to discuss this send a pm to Greco or No Dogs they will blah blah about it forever. Greco don't get offended when you read this, you know where I stand, we're good and I ate cold supper talking about this shit with you the last time I saw you
    Oh yeah to the lippy Yankee, we still don't like you spend your money and go home the occupation is over

I too have been waiting on this thread to start.

The usual players have not spoken up yet. I figure it's just a matter of time.

Every year this thread is started, somebody usually stoops to a lower level and generally makes themselves out to be a spineless dickhead.......this year the award goes to huntchessies.

I've been dog hunting for close to 20 years. Hopefully, I've got 20 more.

Jacksonville Fl (Beaufort SC on the weekends)

i have tried dog hunting a couple of times so i do know a little bit about what i'm talking about...... And i do stand by my opinion so if you would like to meet and talk about it in public that's fine by me..... I don't need to hide behind a computer and talk all big and bad. I've lived in the south plenty long enough to understand it is a way of life here. If you actually put any effort into really reading my post the point was the few idiots are your problem and need corrected..... I don't think i ever said all dog hunters were idiots or that the sport should go away (i actually said the opposite). As for needing your respect, i don't need or want it.

As for my chessie running off..... The entire reason i spend so much time working with my dog is so he has more manners than some of you do..... A dog that is out of control is just that.... out of control. regardless of breed or purpose. I'm done with this thread becuase as usuall most of you people are impossible to have a conversation with..... close minded and stuck on something that didn't even happen in your grandfathers time let alone yours!!!! GET OVER IT............
    Proudly owned by "SHR A hunters dream of Westwind"

****Hunting is a form of dog training but not the first wave of it. *****

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Personally, I don't like yankees.

And as far as dog hunting being a joke with no skill, you obviously are smoking rock.

It requires 100 times more skill than shooting a target on a corn pile. I do both, I know.
    Yea I think he said it all when he told us he was a Yankee Transplant............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    bet a dollar to a dogturd that huntchessies would not talk about shooting deer hounds in public.

just another douche with no obvious skills...

had a florida yankee fuck transplant shoot a dog of ours years ago. i do believe that cocksucker is still paying.

Tru dat...........just running his fing mouth and riding the testosterone keyboard............no nuts..............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Huntchessies how would you feel if I were hunting the swamp next to you, and your hard headed brown bastard was fetching a duck and i shot the top of his skull off? Or as you say a gator got him I think I'll call this a beaver eating his head off. Thats the same thing as if you were to kill one of my deer hounds.