Thread: dinner disaster

Default dinner disaster

Last night I was working hard on dinner....thick cut tilapia filets, white wine, red and yello cherry tomatoes, fresh tyme, garlic, green olives and capers....in the oven and smellin good..

while that cooked I was working on a batch of wild mushroom rissotto that I finish off with parm and gorgonzolla cheese..................All is ready and i pull the fish out of the oven and set it beside the rissotto on the stove top...Just as I take the foil off the fish the pyrex pan it is in explodes! Glass everywhere, I am bleeding and cussing and dinner is f--'d. Glass even got in the rice.

Oh well its not the first time I have had to drink my dinner.

Thats wild, glad you are ok. Wonder what made the dish do that? Damn shame to ruin a fine sounding meal such as that.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

that is wierd only time have seen that happen was when i put one one on the grill, damn waste of the food for you there bro, good think for liquid diet though,lol

Glad you didn't get hurt.

I wish I knew what caused that.

I would like to avoid that happening in the future...

dang bill. i had one do that a few years ago
    Bone....

The will crack or explode if there is no moisture in the pan. High heat will cause 'em to do that if there is no water in the Pyrex. Never happened to me but have heard about and told why. Now if that is true or not I do not know but it sounds logical.

I would think the hot pan came in contact wit a drop of moisture, perhaps a ring of condensate from a drinking glass or just placing it on a cool spot.
    They are tempered for heat, but hot and cold will cause fractures
    my thoughts

I think you are right about the cold water spot. I have used these pyrex cooking plates for over 10 years. Just a fluke, It had to do with hot to cold, too quickly

I put a pyrex dish full of brats and beer on my grill burner one time.

Went in to get a beer and when I came back out there was ice all over the deck.......only it wasn't ice....dang pyrex dish had exploded all over the place...

Waste of good beer and donkey pecker...your meal sounded even better.
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

Crites, there's no doubt that there was some sort of temperature change that was more than the dish could handle.

Hate it for ya. That sounded good.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Hard work gone to waste, that sucks man. I got hungry reading the thread
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Had this happen to me one time except mine was kinda reversed. I hade the pyrex dish in the fridge and then i put it straight into a hot oven and that fucker went boom. I was feeding like ten of my fraternity brothers and their dates. I was irate and just started smacking down beers to the face.

Hot on Hotter will do it too with pyrex, I was frying 15 count shrimp
    , yellow grits were ready for the cheese when the timer went off on the peach cobbler - grabbed that bastage and threw on to the stove
    forgot the eye it was touching was still on _ boom - glass in all said food.
    I cussed a blue streak.

I've had the glass front blow out of an old gas grill I had. That wasted some ribs and chicken!!

I don't use gas anymore!!