Thread: Vanes vs. Feathers

Default Vanes vs. Feathers

I am new to bow hunting and was wonding what type of fletching is better vanes or feathers.

I have feathers right now and was interested to hear the pros and cons of each.

Thanks
    May the wind be to your back and the Ducks in yo face.!!!

i shot feathers and i dont like them...they dont hold up after many rounds of practice, they can only be used on maybe two deer, maybe.

i switched to the blazer vanes and they are quiter and a lot more durable. I guess its pretty much a personal prefrence thing.
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

I just put blazer vanes on. I have no complaints yet.

romeocadet

You shoot a DXT. That is what I have.
    May the wind be to your back and the Ducks in yo face.!!!

Blazer VAnes all the way.
    You can't argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat your ass.

tradorion Coots

Default BOTH work fine-

Seriously- each has plus/minus issues- feather give better flight under less than perfect tuning in my opinion but the suck in really wet weather.. most vanes don't take the abuse that feathers will...

Romeo once again shows his true knowledge of bowhunting and shooting- which if you pay attention to his posts will strike you as not much.

I have some carbon arrows (4 left of the original 12) that have had feathers on them for many years of shooting- one even is missing 2.5inches of the 4inch feather and shoots just fine- the edges are a little ragged but they still rock with a Muzzy 100gr broadhead. The only thing i have done is treat them with spray for waterproofing- and they work just fine even after killin deer and hogs and grouse and rabbits and squirrels....

Anybody telling you they only get 2 deer off a set of feathers broke the arrow or threw away a perfectly good killing machine.

This is not to say that feathers are the best answer. They are my preferred answer- but as noted vanes work just fine. In some bow/arrow combinations that are well tuned there is negligible difference
    in point of impact which is cool b/c if you like feathers you can tote an arrow or 2 as your "bad weather" insurance.

Try a couple of each and make your own decision.
    T

Feathers are ok.........thats all I shoot off my Recurve..........Out of my Compound Rigs I shoot Vanes...........they both will work though........the only downfall w/ feathers is what trad has already posted.........in the rain they arent as good but if you treat them right you wont have much trouble........but in my opinion they are just as durable as vanes..........
    Last edited by ccleroy; 08-08-2008 at 03:12 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Feathers make you look cool.

Thread closed.

i think fixed blade broadheds fly better with a feather then a vane..but its really person preference

Blazer Vanes make my 125gr Thunderheads fly like darts

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I would shoot vanes if I could get them fly like feathers. The vanes are a little heavier and thus slower off the bow, but they probably make up for it downrange. Feathers have done me well over the years. I usually have 1 or 2 arrows in the quiver with vanes, the rest are feathers.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.