Thread: 25'06 opinions

Default 25'06 opinions

I too suffer from the gun disease! I have an itch for a 25'06, what is ya'lls opinion on the caliber?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I haven't got any experience with the 25-06. I know JAB shoots one and speaks highly of his.

Best of the non magnum quarter bores. The 25-06 is a great cartridge.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Excellent cartridge for about anything you want to kill in SC. I have one that I LOVE. Moderate recoil at most. It's a pleasure to shoot.

Good offerings on bullets from 100gr. to 120gr. I reload, but had good results (MOA) out to 200yds. with factory Hornady Light Magnum 117gr. BTSP.

Will kill deer out to 400yds. if you have shots at that distance.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

It's a fine cartridge that has modest recoil and will kill deer dead.

It is also overbore capacity (i.e., not an efficient burner of powder) in most barrel lenghts. Some complain of bore erosion with it.

But those that have 'em swear by em.

I have never owned a 25 caliber rifle... so I have no personal experience. If I WAS getting a 25, just personal choice here, but I'd get a 257 Roberts and may even get it in the Ackley Improved version.

But, then, ya gotta handload it...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I love mine it is my go to deer killin caliber
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

I had one. A great cartridge but the damn gun that shot it would not maintain a group. We tried reloads, bedding, synthetic stocks, squaring the bolt, different shooters...... You name it, it was done. One day it had a great group and the next it would be 9 inches off. I finally gave up on it.

And I am not down on Remingtons, but that was the label on it. I don't believe it, but that was what it said.

For CWPINTS' benefit, every Ruger I have owned shot circles around this gun.

My current Remington can drive a tack and it is nothing but an ADL in plain old 30-06. Bought used.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

You will like the 25-06. With 100gr. bullets, it will shoot about 3300fps and will kill deer like the hammer of Thor. Swamp Rat is right (as usual) about the erosion issue. It is real hard on barrels, but as long as you space out your shots and don't run it hot, it will last quite a while. For folks who shoot 1-2 boxes per year, this is not much of an issue.......as long as you don't run it hot. I once burned out a barrel in about 4-5 days of real fast high volume shooting......Silhouettes at 300 yards. STUPID ME!!!!! I ruined a great barrel. It still shoots OK, but nothing like it used to be.

Barrel life is about like a 7mm Rem Mag. maybe a bit worse.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

What do you reckon the barrel life is?

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

It really depends on how you shoot it and how well you maintain it. Probably about 1000 rounds of accurate life if you don't run it hot. If you really run it hot like a lot of folks shoot an AR-15, you may be looking at about 200 rounds...............in other words about the same as a 7 Rem Mag. Yes, shooting them hot will drastically affect barrel life if it is really overbore.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 08-07-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.