Thread: Heavy arra wonks...

Default Heavy arra wonks...

Trad, Glenn et al.....

Finally finished my tinkering and tuning yesterday and this is what the results were.....

55lb at 28 not cut to center bow

29 inch CE Heritage 250 shaft
    50 gr brass insert, 75 gr steele adapter, 160 gr head for 285 total up front
    3 4" parabolic fletch

Total arra wt is 627 gr (my math, not measured)
    FOC is 19.6%

Flight...Closer to perfect than any cut past center bow I've owned. Scary quiet and hard hitting. Trajectory is better than I would have thought. "Point on" only changed from about 35 yards to 32 from a 2016 w/ 125 up front.

Definitely the most effort I've ever put into tuning a bow and like most things....I got more out of it. I've got a boat load of different inserts and points if'n anybody wants to play with weight.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

What head did you go with?

O.L. Adcock wrote an article a few years ago in regards to tuning and from what he concluded after his testing, there is no such thing as too much FOC.

The one thing that is surprising to me is that 250. I figured with that much weight up front you would have to step up to the 350's. But if it works then rock on.

That is a killing combo.

Gotta love big heavy sticks. At least that's what "she" said.

I tried the 250, 350 and old T Hunter 6075's. To get the 350's spined right, I had to get north of 700 gr total arrow weight.

Broadhead is my next step, actually. Hopefully, a 160 griz in place of the 160 field pt will not change flight but I'm prepared to make some small adjustments if it does. There's a guy that is commercially modifying some of the single bevel bh's and I hope to score some real soon. Will probably get some Eclipse 145's if that doesn't work out. I'm not enough of a machinist to adequately modify and sharpen the griz heads on my own in a short period of time.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 07-29-2008 at 08:44 AM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Just a thought but might want to give the Simmons 190 interceptor a look. You could loose the 50 gr brass insert, maintain about the same weight. I have some if you want to try before you buy.

Recurve or LB? Can't remember.

Call/e-mail if you want to try that head.

Take down LB. I've been too brain washed by Dr. Ashby to go with the Simmons head.....something to do with that abrupt angle towards the arse end and mechanical advantage. I do appreciate the offer, though.

Rubberhead

i thought that waaaaay before he started to badmouth simmons.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Damn. And I thought the salties had their own lingo.....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Call/e-mail if you want to try that head
    dude, that sounds funny.
    He would have been nice next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Damn. And I thought the salties had their own lingo.....
    The Taliban has been speaking in code since the Patriot Act was put in place.

Simple, you would be a good soldier for our cause.

Let me know when you are ready and I'll get your weapon and ammo in your hands.

You'll become familiar with the vernacular in due time. Just don't let the wheelfidels infect your inherent purity.

That is all.

Rubberhead

We'll load and pack your day pack for you. No need to look inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    The Taliban has been speaking in code since the Patriot Act was put in place.

Just don't let the wheelfidels infect your inherent purity.

That is all.

Where is Candork when you need him.

They can't make this shit up.

Rubberhead

Striper do you think the heavies are worth the trouble? I thought about playing with some, but I havent seen anything a 2 blade magnus on a 2016-2018 wont shoot through.

Since I don't consider them trouble, I don't know how to answer the question. 2016 and magnus two blades are great. Will they shoot through a bull elk 100% of the time? Don't know. Since I don't know, I'll try to get something that "should" do better and enjoy the process.

Rubberhead

The grizzlies should pentrate well since they're a 3 to head. I ve never tried a single bevel head, but I see several manufacturers are now offering them since the Ashbey articles came out.