Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .17

Beastmaster,
    And you must never have seen a deer shot poorly in the head. Plenty of room for error. Same with the neck. I shot an animal square in the neck with a .375 and had to chase it for two miles. Shoot it in the shoulder or just behind, and you don't have as small of a margin for error.

ccleroy, it doesn't matter who you are, mistakes happen. You can be a tack-driving 1000 yard shooter, and you're still going to fuck up sometimes.

An ethical sportsman should take the highest percentage shot offered. Getting back to the initial subject, a .17 is marginal at best. Why not just use a deer rifle?
    Carolina Counsel

i have shot a lot of deer in the head with my .270 and they result is always death. i have shot them in the jaw the nose just about all around the head. Granted i shoot ballistic tips which expands rapidly on impact causing massive shock. they just can't take that kind of impact to the head and live. Now if you shoot heavy jacketed bullets you will have trouble sooner or later especially with neck shots because if you miss the spine the bullet just goes through without much damage and the don't bleed much, and are hard to track.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Do you also think it's ok to use traditional archery equipment to harvest animals?............Thats the whole thing........w/ traditional archery there are less draw weight most of the time ,slower speeds, less accuracy as with Compound bows topped w/ sights............but I know some trad shooters that can shoot circles around me at every distance................because they are familiar w/ there equipment and are basically one w/ it when they have it in there hand.................I dont care if you're shooting a red-rider............if you can make the shot and you're confident then make it...............if not dont take it...........
    Traditional archery equipment has centuries of results showing that it works, when used properly, and today's traditional gear is better than ever. Just like with anything else, you need to know your limitations.

I don't believe that the .17HMR has proven itself to be a viable, reliable, humane caliber of choice for deer sized game.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Just like with anything else, you need to know your limitations.

I don't believe that the .17HMR has proven itself to be a viable, reliable, humane caliber of choice for deer sized game.
    I agree totally w/ you on the knowing your limitations and that goes without saying for any firearm or hunting equipment.........o yea.........Shoot em' in the head and it is very humane...............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Your can't legaly use any rimfire rifles to shoot deer. You also can't use any centerfire small than a .22cal. No .17rem, 204, or 218's. I like a .22 hornet for head shooting or a 22-250.

yall never heard of a damn sling shot? what the hell u need a .22 for?