Thread: New bow

Default New bow

I just bought a new bow this past week, and I'm going to need to get some new arrows and broadheads to complete it. I don't want to try to bring over my "old" aluminum shaft arrows and 150 grain broadheads because I don't think they'll work too well in the newer, faster bow. Any suggestions on where to start as far as the arrows? Cabela's no-names? Eastons? I'm on a very limited budget here, too, that's the important part. I really like the Magnus Stinger 4 blade broadheads, which is what I'm using now, so I think I'll just drop down to the 100 grain broadheads, but I need help on the arrows. Thanks, in advance.
    "Vis pacem - para bellum" If you want peace be ready for the war.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

i'm not an arrow expert but i'm shooting the Red Head brand carbon arrows from Bass Pro and they have suited me just fine. no complaints.
    Last edited by quakcaller; 07-19-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Dude.......

Dude.......

You got IBP down the hall from your office and you're askin this?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Dude.......

Dude.......

You got IBP down the hall from your office and you're askin this?
    Yep, I've already talked with him about it, and he'll see the new toy tomorrow, but I'm just throwing this out there to get different opinions. I bought the bow from Bass Pro, and long story short, unless they give me free arrows, I won't be purchasing anything from them in the near future. They did, however, mention the Redhead brand name. I figure the Cabela's brand name will be the same, but I might also just run by Sportsmans & Jeffery's to see what they say, as well, and as I've come to find out what Tom or Mr. Owen says, follow it to the "T".

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Why isn't what you have now going to work? What are going to gain with the new arrows? Let your objectives drive the purchase. Those 150 grain stingers are great. Why 100 grain heads?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Right now, I'm using Easton aluminums, and I've been told that faster shooting bows need carbon arrows. Yeah, I'm impressed with the 150 grain broadheads, but I'm worried that they might be too much if I switch to carbon arrows.

dont listen to Swipa. He thinks every bow is made of wood and has a gentle curve its entire 6' length.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

tradorion Coots

Default Screw Speed

Someone is buying the advertisers bullshit if they tell you a new bow has to have carbon arrows to be good...

Speed don't kill- quiet and accurate kills.

All a faster bow does is helps with trajectory and if you shoot inside of 30yds then you will be just fine! Light carbon arrows are faster than heavier aluminums that both share the same spine class thus you gain speed-but you lose a degree of quiet b/c with the lighter arrow the bow will be louder- If you are on a limited budget right now and you have aluminums on hand- just shoot them. I bet you will see some gain in perfromance (speed) based on the newer sweeter bow.

I shoot both carbons and aluminums- i enjoy both- but there ain't no reason to rush out and buy something if you already have something that will get the job done well.

T
    Last edited by tradorion; 07-21-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Trad, you never called me back.... biotch.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    I've been told that faster shooting bows need carbon arrows. Yeah, I'm impressed with the 150 grain broadheads, but I'm worried that they might be too much if I switch to carbon arrows.
    Who told you that? Sounds like a pro staffer.

The material of the shaft or brand is irrelevant if the arrow/head combo isn't matched to you and your bow. Spine, length, head weight etc etc can be created in an infinite range of scenarios with everything from wood to alum to carbon. Carbon does have a stiffer strength to weight ratio and does allow for a greater spine (stiffness) for a given weight shaft than aluminum.

If I were you, I'd plug in the specs on your current arrow setup in the Easton website and see if you are in the ballpark for reasonable flight. Then, you can start making some adjustments or a new purchase that moves you in a better direction.

Plug in the specs and let us know what you get.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Who told you that? Sounds like a pro staffer.

The material of the shaft or brand is irrelevant if the arrow/head combo isn't matched to you and your bow. Spine, length, head weight etc etc can be created in an infinite range of scenarios with everything from wood to alum to carbon. Carbon does have a stiffer strength to weight ratio and does allow for a greater spine (stiffness) for a given weight shaft than aluminum.

If I were you, I'd plug in the specs on your current arrow setup in the Easton website and see if you are in the ballpark for reasonable flight. Then, you can start making some adjustments or a new purchase that moves you in a better direction.

Plug in the specs and let us know what you get.
    Beginning, middle, climax and ending. That's the whole book right there.

You left out the part about twisting muscles though.

Next subject.