Thread: WNC Trout Farms

Default WNC Trout Farms

taking the family up to the mtns over the weekend. I've done plenty of fly fishing up that way and have passed numerous "trout farms" but cant remember where a single one of them is.

I want to take my boys to a trout pond and "pay by the pound" kind of thing so we can cook it and eat it.

Anybody help?

I will be in the canton area, about 30 miles west of asheville.

thanks in advance
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

My dad would take us to Morgan Mill trout farm when we where kids. That's been 20+ years so I don't know if they are still open. They are near Brevard. I'll be in Flat Rock this weekend fly fishing. I hope it's not too hot.

good ole Morgan Mill... it's the only one I recall.

Last I heard - prices are $5 per pound (hope ya don't get a 10 lb'er).

Around Canton, I'm sure there's some - but the only one I've taken kids to is in Cherokee (which is not too far away from Canton).

Have fun!

T.
    William Gettys Smart
    1830-1906
    Company A
    49th NC Infantry
    CSA

Remember....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=12958647

Morgan Mills is still there. Not a pay /pound place but a great place to take a kid fishing is lake powhatan outside asheville it's stocked. there's a campground too so it gets hammered pretty well.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGD151-209

BS - not sure where you're fishing in Flat Rock, water has been really low on the mills, green and davidson. good luck!

I'm taking a family friend who has a pretty bad form of cancer and wants to catch a trout on a flyrod before he gets real sick. I don't think he has ever even fished before. I know I'm up against bad odds this weekend. It's hot, water is low, it's crowded and delayed harvest of over. We have a place in Flat Rock so that's why we were going to fish around that area. Are their any other rivers fishing better right now anywhere else up there? The Tuck gets too crowded and we don't want to drive up to Boone.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    I'm taking a family friend who has a pretty bad form of cancer and wants to catch a trout on a flyrod before he gets real sick. I don't think he has ever even fished before. I know I'm up against bad odds this weekend. It's hot, water is low, it's crowded and delayed harvest of over. We have a place in Flat Rock so that's why we were going to fish around that area. Are their any other rivers fishing better right now anywhere else up there? The Tuck gets too crowded and we don't want to drive up to Boone.
    Good on you BS! Sounds like you are doing a good deed buddy. I'm sure you'll be blessed for doing this.

I'll be praying your friend catches some nice fat trout on his trip to the hills. Good job man!!

BS--dont overlook the delayed harvest streams. still a lot of stocking going on and less spin-fishermen there....for the most part.

wish I knew more of that area to help you out. maybe JAB will get on here. he has more knowledge there.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Morgan Mill... That's where I learned to flyfish - loooong time ago. What a great place.
    Don't believe everything you think.

I went to one as a kid... probably around 1972. It's where I caught my first trout. I think, reaching back in the mists of my memory, that it was called "Andy's Trout Farm", and the three trout I caught cost my dad ten cents per ounce... ahhhhh, inflation.

That place is probably long since gone.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen