Thread: Hypothermia in July

Default Hypothermia in July

My Father asked me to get him 8 big bream to fry for a dinner party they are having this evening. I decided to grab the speargun instead of the rod and went down to the lake a couple hours ago. I wasn't in the water but about an hour and I am nearly hypothermic. I pooched up under the dock and was nailing the giant bluegill as they pulled up looking for minnows. Getting the 8 was fun but when I tried to climb the ladder out, I realized that my limbs were not functioning. I had to swim to the bank and come out on the beach. Damn I realize that it was 50 degrees last night but I didn't think the water was THAT cold. I see how you can get in trouble in a hurry when the water is REALLY cold. Shit, if I had any Rock & Rye left from duck season, I would be taking a big pull....

Scary stuff....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

spear gunning bream?...... sounds fun... lol

Yeah, it is pretty good practice since you have to hit them just right or you screw up the whole fish. Somehow they KNOW when the spear is pointing at them, they are in trouble. Keep it turned away and they sit there all day. I had a nice smallmouth swim right up to the tip and beg me to ventilate him. Smart ass nearly got what he wanted...

where you do this? in a pond or something? maybe you should try to shoot them with a bow... then you wont be cold.... unless you fall in....haha