Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Georgetown 6/23-24 Inshore

For a silver shiner 22' could be deep. Catchem at the channel 2 and 5 bridges in Islamorada and they dont always jump. Same with Boca Grande. With your set up they feel the tension so they just try to pull loose. Not that I'm saying thats what it was, just could be. Big rays are there as well. Usually a ray will settle to the bottom and you have to get over him and piano string him up. Anyway great finshin', that's what its about. Theres always tomorrow!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    That's what I kinda figured it was. Actually, I thought the first one I caught was an Atlantic Sharpnose. So, I kept the 27" one. Then, I got the 36" one and found out it was different than the 1st one I caught.

The one in the picture above had very short gill slits. The first one had much longer gill slits.

I dunno. I need some sort of shark picture book.
    Just based on the description of longer gill slits I'd say you had an immature finetooth shark...Has a blueish color and elongated gill slits...Also has to be 54" fork length to keep...

http://www.wilmingtonfishing.com/fis...tooth(sc)1.JPG

The Atlantic sharpnose you can keep 2 per person per day in state waters...

If you're going to keep sharks for food I'll make ID simple for you, you only have to learn two sharks, the bonnethead and Atlantic sharpnose. Everything else has to be 54 inches fork length which is a 6 foot + shark total length. Not many folks are going to be able to catch and land a shark of that size, but if you plan on it, then have a shark guide of some type on board...

Duck, thanks for the help.

The picture doesn't look like the same as what I caught. The pictured one shows much more girth. Mine was very streamlined.

Oh well, a novice mistake -- one that I won't make again.

Silver, every ray I have ever caught pulled hard and steady, very methodical and you could tell it was a ray immediately. And like someone else said they periodically just stop and wallow in the sand feeling like you have a cinder block down there.

If you felt sharp surges and strong pulls and runs then my money is on either a big Spottail or a bigger shark. Congrats, whatever the case it sounded like a fine day on the water!!

edit: You said you were going to cook it up Thursday night...how did you cook it and how did it all turn out??? Enquiring minds that skipped breakfast and are counting down to lunch want to know...
    Last edited by secondamendment; 06-27-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by secondamendment View Post
    edit: You said you were going to cook it up Thursday night...how did you cook it and how did it all turn out??? Enquiring minds that skipped breakfast and are counting down to lunch want to know...
    Well, my buddy had a sick kid and a wife who was heading out for a flight to NY. So...we postponed.

To make matters worse, we made a TOTAL NEWBIE mistake with the blue crabs.

Read about it in the thread I'm about to post and feel free to give some input.

95% of the fish hooked this time of the year in the deeper water of the delta are going to be rays/sharks. there are tarpon here, seen one so far, heard of 3 others hooked.

try fishing along islands, right next to the grass. if there is water in the grass, most your spottails will be in the grass if there isnt water in the grass, they'll be waiting close by for water. flounders/trout in the same spots.

i've hooked way too many of the huge rays, none have been true screamers off the reel. that place is a shark fishermans paradise, me thinks shark.

as far a depth for tarpon, my one and only SC tarpon came in 5' of water and didnt jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Captured and released a 150lb. tarpon at the mouth of the Charleston jetties on wednesday...lots of sharks, and a few adult red drum in the area as well....Tarpon was 5'6"....big ole' fish....

As far as water depth...40+'....of course I've seen tarpon in two feet above Wiltown landing on the Edisto....they're around....

Don't pull a big shark in the boat, that bastage will total your sh*t. Not to mention bite you-

Quote Originally Posted by tkohn View Post
    Don't pull a big shark in the boat, that bastage will total your sh*t. Not to mention bite you-
    That's what .22 revolvers are made for... if you are gonna keep the fish.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by tkohn View Post
    When I used to fish my ole 16' Rogue skiff, I'd carry my Glock 23 (.40) in a ziplock bag in my tackle bag. If needed, it was there.

However, for this trip, I forgot it. I figured if we did manage to get a big ass shark, then I'd do my best to tail rope him and drag him backwards on the cleat.

I also considered bringing my .22 with the suppressor on it. Just shoot a couple holes in his head and it'd be nice and quiet, too.

Oh well, next time, I'm not gonna forget my handgun.

I have an OLD H&R revolver, 22, that I paid so little for and is so marginal in appearance that, if I got bumped and it fell over the side.... oh well.

Be careful shooting in water - ricochets and all.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    Captured and released a 150lb. tarpon at the mouth of the Charleston jetties on wednesday...lots of sharks, and a few adult red drum in the area as well....Tarpon was 5'6"....big ole' fish....

hmmm theyre here early....

its my goal for this summer to at least jump one.

There are more 'poons than youd think around here, you just gotta know where to look
    as for usmc's fish, from the descripion of the fight it wasnt a tarpon, imo. shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.