Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browntop millet and herbicides?

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    You got a recipe for sandspurs?
    Lots and lots of LIME.

Prowl is correct......I had a brain fart and couldn't remember the stuff but knew it started with a "P".
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    You got a recipe for sandspurs?

Sandspurs only grow in very acidic soil, so that's a sign of needing lime. Proper lime ph will get rid of most sandspur problems without the use of herbacides.

Thanks SW, you've demeaned 6 years of hard earned degrees.

Classy....and I thought my advice should get just as much respect as yours......how stupid of me....

Most of the landowners I work with don't want piss away money needlessly.

But if you need something to do between turkeys season and deer season knock yourself out.

Weedmaster, that's the ticket!
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

Seems funny to me that Eco is getting blasted for his advice when this is stuff he deals with for a living.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

DMP, I don't know one thing about ECO and am not busting him in any way, but when it comes to gallons of chemicals sprayed or acreage of treated crops either one, there are quite a few people here who could probably cover his lifetime numbers up on a yearly basis....

CLR, maybe because many of us have agriculture in our blood. Many of us have family farms, many of us have worked on farms since childhood, and many of us have farm families here in SC going back to before the Revolution...

A degree in agronomy doesn't get the grain bin shoveled...

Im not saying everyone else is wrong.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

just messin with ya eco brain.
    next time ill include an ambiguous smilie.
    like you dont enjoy it.

but to say millet is so robust as to totally obliterate broadleaf competition IS ignorant at best and has nothing to do with someone asking what they can use to take care of problems in their millet.

You all should get specially trained ninja goats.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Ahhh.....shovelling a flat-bottomed grain bin!! That'll bless your heart! And fill your nasal passages with dirt.

Another "pleasant" memory from my youth!
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

Default Atrazine (and Redfish)

Let me stir up some more stuff. You can use Atrazine preplant on browntop. If you get a good slow rain when seed is sprouting(underground) you will get some damage (slight) That being said, I find the iron herbicide (cultivator) to be the best. Enclosed pics of Wed PM Edisto Reds Bob Sanders www.fishingwithbob.com

Yeah I am buckshot dad and we use prowl on the grassland and poast on the sun flowers unless we plant clearfield seed then we use cadre.Atrazine is what is best for millet I think it last longer and does better than 2 4 d.24d is a contact killer where atrazine will hold up in the soil and kill any new young seed trying to sprout.The best way to controll crabgrass is to rotate with a crop you can spray a grass herbecide on

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    just messin with ya eco brain.
    next time ill include an ambiguous smilie.
    like you dont enjoy it.

but to say millet is so robust as to totally obliterate broadleaf competition IS ignorant at best and has nothing to do with someone asking what they can use to take care of problems in their millet.
    I agree....I fight the hell out of broadleafs in my millet every year...I wish is was robust enough to overcome it but in fields we have the most problems with, it isn't. I dont have any ag degrees though. Just based on my experiences on my farms...

JabIII, Do not mistake my comments as meaning anyone without an agronomy degree does not know what they are talking about. Some of the best farmers I have ever known did not even finish high school.

The rub is this, on almost a daily basis, I am called by some concerned individual to verify crop recommendations given by some "wildlife biologist/technician" or "food plot consultant". Many of these I know have no background in agriculture or any other formal education about agronomic practices and they appear to just make things up as they go. A good example of this occurred yesterday, I got a call from a fellow who said his food plot consultant told him to buy a $10 pH meter to stick in the ground and that was as good if not better than taking any soil tests....do you think that is good advice? It is indicative of what I deal with regularly. Last year I watched a man kill 30 acres of duck pond corn on the advice of a board certified wildlife biologist and this sort of thing happens more than you think.

Many really know what they are talking about and I commend them for their service.
    I thought you are a lawyer are you also a board certified wildlife biologist? I have a B.S. degree in horticulture, a masters degree in plant physiology with a minor in agronomy, and a Phd in agronomy, I am also a certified crop advisor, and I have been farming for over 30 years. Above all that I value my degree from the school of hard knocks more than any other education I have recieved. I bet I have shoveled as many grain bins, toted as many bags of fertilizer, and logged as many hours on a tractor as any man my age walking the face of the earth. That being said I at times find it hard to take folks with out a wealth of knowledge (however they came by it) making out like they pretty much know all about farming.

I agree with you that a history of agriculture provides a sound basis for understanding what you are trying to do. Now can I interest you in some legal advice?

Quote Originally Posted by CLR View Post
    I thought you are a lawyer

Wow, you are really hitting below the belt, aintcha. I would rather you have called me an Al Queda terrorist...

Sorry JabIII, I really did think you were an uh um..... attorney? If I misspoke I do thoroughly apologize and I mean it. I also had no intentions of offending anyone without a formal ag. degree. Hopefully you gleaned from my message where my aggrivation stems from. Best regards....

It's all good. You are in a unique position with your current administrative title to lend us all some knowledge about agriculture from an academic point of view. Take Cogon grass and the honey bee problems. We know that both are troubling but is the scientific community making any headway in those fights?

I agree with EcoP about Atrazine or the careless use thereof. I figured anyone would know that since you can't purchase it without a pesticide license.

But the stuff works good on millet and is cheap.

We are in mid stream of a monumental effort to eradicate our state of cogongrass. To date weed scientists are having trouble finding a silver bullet for this weedy pest. We have treated every site that we are aware of in SC. A couple of weeks ago we surveyed 26 counties over several days and hundreds of man hours. We have since discovered two new sites and there are infestations in 7 counties in SC. This is a major problem with forest management and particularly prescribed burning. We could use the help of everyone on this site in reporting cogongrass if they suspect they have it. We will take measures to eradicate it for the landowner. For those who want to know more about cogongrass they can go here http://www.cogongrass.org/ If you suspect you have found it call the Department of Plant Industry at Clemson University 864-646-2130.

As for bees, colony collapse disorder and hybridization with africanized honeybees are the two predominate threats. We have taken regulatory measures to ensure that intogression of africanized honey bee genes does not happen in SC. We are still trying to determine causal factors for colony collapse disorder.

OK, people with degrees in wildlife don't know shit about millet. I got it.....

I hope yall have the cleanest damn millet in the free world! And I don't GAF what you spray on it.

AND I ain't invitin a damn one of yall to come hunt my dove fields this year!

Good thing I have thick skin and don't give a shit most of the time what other people think.......

That being said, I do know something about cogon grass.....

Not that my opinion or advice means shit, but........I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

CLR-
    I just signed the paperwork for a $500,000 cogon grass eradication project in south Mississippi. If we can stop that stuff from spreading in SC we better do it. It is some nasty crap and it pretty much nulifies any burning under pines unless you like seeing your trees go up like matches.

We are having good luck with summer mowing (obviously pre-seedhead formation) and then 16 oz. of Arsenal Powerline in the fall. I saw about 90% control on 145 acres (22 diff. spots) last year.

We had some poor control last year in areas where we drought stress had reduced growth rates. Live and learn.

Haven't seen any in SC yet, but I've heard there is a patch in Aiken county. Where is it??? I've got a quart of Chopper and a backpack sprayer in the back of my truck!!!!

Seriously, if the NWTF can help with this shoot me a PM.......
    Last edited by ECOPREDATOR; 06-06-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)