Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Browntop millet and herbicides?

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1224 View Post
    I a hay field we spray Post (I think). If you PM Pop224, he can tell you for sure. What ever it is it stain EVERYTHING yellow but it does a good job.

I would recheck that. Also, it depends on what kind of hay field you have. If it's bermuda, Poast is a no no. I use a 3 % solution of Poast to kill bermda grass in my centipede yard. Two weeks later the centipde is thriving while the bermuda is toast.

Also, my Poast is brown in the jug and white after mixing. It has a strong odor, so I usually mix some in with glyphosphate(even though not needed) while spraying RR beans. The deer will quit eating beans after spraying. It was widely used for soybeans as a grass killer before RR varieties came out.

Bumping this one up for PalmettoBug

Appreciate the bump Johnny Reb but damn what a contentious thread! Interesting read but I'm not sure where it left me. Atrazine bad, college degrees lead to overuse of emoticons and chest puffing.

Not trying to bring up old shit, as this thread got a little dramatic, but was the best one i could find on the topic to pose my question.

Planted this small field and another larger field with browntop. Got it planted a little later than i should have i am finding, but it grew pretty well.

The pictures below were taken on Saturday, so pretty recent. I was hopeful it would have dried/browned out a little more by now... but this is what i am dealing with.

In the other field, i bush hogged a strip in it, and the grass and seed clumped all up, so i stopped.

Question - what do i do now?

1 - wait on it to brown out?
    2 - spray with glypho ASAP? and then come back and cut it when it dies?

My thought was to spray and burn it in sections but if posed with the same scenario, what would you do?

And yes - i know, browntop sucks, but it's what i got to work with and nothing i can do about it now.

Millet 4.jpg
    Millet.jpg
    Millet 3.jpg
    Last edited by gamecock1974; 08-23-2023 at 12:31 PM.

If its the tract I think it is, our fields are just a few miles apart as the crow flies. We have millet outside our fenced sunflowers and have an ass of volunteer millet in the corn even though I sprayed glyphosate a tad to early. I mowed some strips outside the fence Sunday that was just as green as your millet. It did perfect, cut low and scattered the seed as normal. That was also with recently sharpen blades.

what do you mean by "clumped all up"? was it wet?

get the rpm's up and dont cut it so low first pass
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.