Thread: Hand held GPS

Default Hand held GPS

What is the best handheld gps that I can get for the lakes and rivers of the SE? Not looking to spend too much o one just something that will help me get by.

they say the garmin 76csx i have been looking at the new garmin colorado 400i just dont know yet
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

i have a garmin GPSMAP 76 and i love it. real easy to use and not too expensive
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

76csx is the best one I've had yet.

I have had the 60csx for a while and love it...for many reason. It is waterproof and trust me ive tested it..(not wanting to) but it is. I feel for hunting it is proabably one of the best ones made right now along with the 76 serious. I was able to use a colorado 400t (t=topo) and (i=marine or something i think) but i actully liked it but was just so use to my 60csx that I couldnt get a liking to it as much. with 60csx you can have city navigator and topo in the same SD card but cant use them at the same time. Depending on the size of the SD you get you can download more stuff...just for shits the 2GB will take all the topo and all the city navigator for the US besides HI and Alaski...you just have to try them out and see for yourself what you like to do with it....i have mind from the coastlines to wyoming and it does everything you can imagine...

Garmin GPSMAP 76 series is truly the way to go. I like that it floats.... stuff tends to get dropped in the water eventually.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have a Garmin ETREX Legend Color HCX that I will sell. A month ago I ended up buying two of em, it's a long story. Anyhow, it is a factory refurb unit that works just as good as my factory model as I have tested it against the factory one. I paid $135, make me an offer if you are interested. Waterproof, easy to use and has a great reputation in the GPS world, just let me know.

Swampy, I agree w/one needing to be able to float. I have the 60csx and that's the only negative I could find. It's waterproof, but doesn't float. So, I guess if you can find it on the bottom, then it'll still be good to go.

I like the layout of the 60 moreso than the 76, and that's the only reason I opted for it instead. The 76 didn't seem to be easy to operate one-handed - and I need that with tiller steer on the boat.

LabLuvr where are you located. How are the maps for the lakes in SC, particulary Wateree and Murray if you have ever used it there. Thanks

I'm in Prosperity and have yet to use it on any body of water. I don't know if one would need additional software or not. I've just used it in the woods and on the road.

I have a mount on my jon boat for the GPSMAP76 - and a dedicated power plug for it. Works like a champ. I mount it, set it, and rarely have to futz with it underway.

It proved it's value two years ago on Murray. We arrived (two boats) at the ramp around 4 AM, only to find it was SOCKED in with fog. Max of 50-100 foot vis. And it was thick enough to block the stars. Earlier in the season, I had locked in the exact spot on the destination island where I wanted to set up. It was a 4 mile trip, open water the whole way.

We got both the boats in the water, I set the destination for the spot, and set out. I led the other boat at a steady speed of about 15 mph, watching the indicator on the GPS and the depth finder. When it read that we had 500 feet to go, I throttled back. At 200 feet, I turned on the Q-beam .... the depth finder showed the bottom coming up. At 100 feet... the exact sandbar appeared out of the fog directly ahead. Magic.

Now I know what a pilot feels like flying through pea-soup weather... It made a believer out of me.

That ain't no joke. I think a GPS pays for itself in fog more than any other time.

Like you, there have been days when I enter a waypoint, and it appears like clockwork every time.

The biggest (and really only) problem I've had w/mine has been the software pkg. I have installed. The Garmin Topo 08 isn't as accurate in terms of water's edge as I'd like. One situation that comes to mind was when I was running in daylight on the Edisto River and it showed that I was up on land when I was running in the middle of a pretty wide stretch. That worries me if the reverse is true - what if I'm running in the dark and it shows me in the water and I run aground? Could be bad news.

Any other input on software pkgs. that seem to be spot-on?

I was using the Lakes and Hotspots or something like that... I'll have to check.

Check out the Lowrance iHunt.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Check out the Lowrance iHunt.
    IF he were to get a lowrance (which I don't like since I don't think it has auto routing and a couple of other reasons...) why would he not get the ifinder H2O? Much better WATER detail and he is asking for a unit to use on WATER.

P.S. I don't like the buttons on top of the screen on the 76, much prefer the bottom location on the 60.

It's more about the software not the actual gps that shows detail. I have Map create for topo and some other program for water.