Thread: Wcrites Ff

Default Wcrites Ff

Bill, how did the FF end up or are you still going with Story? I think we lost your old thread when the board changed.

Ted

We are still working on Force fetch.

The Boykin: All was sailing along and then we hit a snag. We are still on the table. I knew it was going to good to be true. When I made the transition to e-collar over ear pinch she began to refuse the fetch command. Up until the collar she was 100% on the Fetch Command. I have gone three days with little to no change. Sometimes she fetches sometimes she just clams up. Today I backed up and began e-collar stimulation along with an ear pinch. She seemed to do much better. I think for several days we will continue this and make sure she understands the program. On a positive note she has not dropped anything for two weeks.

The setter: I was frustrated to the point of distraction with the Boykin. I dropped the setter out of the program and will restart when The Boykin is finished.

Bill, thanks for the update. I enjoyed keeping up with it. Our pup,Cami, has started to lose her puppy teeth, so we've backed off on retrieving for a few days. She's so dang quick it isn't funny!

She's still long legged but is starting to grow into them. We'll have fun with her at the end of June. Hopefully she'll be better with her obedience then too. It's funny 2 weeks ago and 'here' didn't mean much to her, now, she FLIES back to 'here'.

Ted

WooHOo......breakthru. I turned up the heat on the collar. This began to get results. She would fetch to please me. But slight pressure was not enough. HIgher got it. This is a problem for all us non pros in force fetch. Finding the right level of e-collar pressure. I tend to go to light, out of fear of hurting my dog, or removing desire somehow. Some have the opposite problem and use to much out of anger. I worked slowly thru this and spent two weeks in a basic shutdown, where we made no progress. Over the last two days we have shot ahead and are now ready to go to the ground.......and start from the beginning. ugh.

OH well ahead we go.

Sounds all too familiar to me. I appreciate hearing what others are succeeding with. I'm not a pro either, but I sure enjoy the good days. However the bad days sure leave you hoarse sometimes scratching your head and kicking yourself in the butt.

My pup was on auto-pilot until this evening. We've been working together like peas and carrots with no collar at all. It was sure getting to be a lot of fun.

I tried to straighten him up on a long channel blind with a few bumps on the collar. He refused once and I turned up the heat just a little. He had a melt down and swam to the bank. End of training session.

After careful determination I am resolved to admit that it was my fault and not his. Too much pressure on a young dog that hasn't been handled a whole lot. He usually takes bullet straight lines on blinds so I don't have to handle him much. I should have known better.

Hope he (WE) gets his head back on straight before Saturday at Cooper Black. I'm getting up at 0530 in the morning to go out and make it fun again before I go to work.

Funny how the trainer sometimes forgets what training is all about for the dog.
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

Bill thanks for the update. Sounds like a cold stiff drink may be in order for the evenings for a while?

After this weekend's fiasco at L Cooper Balck, I'm facing the same with Rebel. Back to FF...

after a few days off to host the CBSRC HRC test we are back in training. Today back on the table start, just to make sure we remember. We are 100% on table and picking up off the table. I go to ground and start short. after several good fetches I get a serious refusal. after she rides out the first continuous shock. I continue and raise the level 15
    %. She then bugs out and runs for the house. It sounds like I am Killing dog wholesale at my place and I hate this part. I do man up and continue the pressure and the dog killing until she returns to me and finally accepts the dummy. I do two short hand held "fetches" at the +15% stimulation. They are quick and crisp, but she is now wanting in my lap. We have a short sit down and petting fest while she holds. After 10 min. I get two crisp pick ups and holds so we quit for the night. looks like I miss diagnosed the dog. I underestimated her hard headedness as well as her ability to withstand pressure.