Thread: What is your favorite load for deer

Default What is your favorite load for deer

Just sort-of wondering if anybody ever messes with their own concoction? I shoot hornadays , but would like to here about some different powder loads.

A empty one.

That was a good one :handclap:

3in 00, preferably plain ole winchesters :headbang:
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Cajun,
    It kinda depends on the round that you are using. For example, powder that is optimum for, say, a .308 may not be optimum for a .270 or a 7mmRM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Yea i know that i was just seeing if anybody tried anything besides the store bought loads

Currently....

6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser, 140 grain Sierra SPBT GameKings, and 43 grains of IMR4350. It also likes 120 grain Ballistic Tips with 45 grains of '4350, and shoots, amazingly/coincidentally, to the same POA as the 140s.

USED to shoot a 30-06 with 165 grain Sierra SPBT's, and 54 grains of the same powder. It was chugging along at about 2511 fps, but it was deadly.

Gonna start working on a load for my 7mm WSM soon. Looking at several bullets. Gonna see what it likes best.

My old (stolen) 280 Ackley used 140 grain or 150 grain Nosler BT's over IMR4831 (a lot of it ---) and got 3200+ out of the 140s.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I think that I have killed maybe one deer in the past 25-30 years with factory ammo........other than shotgun. I make everything I shoot......even arrows.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

My reloading stuff is in total disarray. I have to clean out my shop and get set up again. I had an offsite place to do it, and don't anymore.

I'm also gonna get one of the automatic programmable powder measures... have heard good things about the RCBS unit... and I need a new chronograph (likely gonna get the CED Millenium).

I haven't shot a deer with a factory rifle load in my life that I can recall.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

In my 243 I shoot 100 grain Hornadys over 41 grains of IMR 4350. I don't know the speed of this load but it works. Everything I've shot with it has ended up on the table.