Thread: “Portable” Generators

Default “Portable” Generators

I’m planning to replace the 6500 watt Honda generator that I’ve had for 25 years. I’ve been very satisfied with it, but natural wear and efficiently reduction apparently drops the output by about 1% per year so it’s too small now.

I’m looking at a dual fuel Dura-Max or a Westinghouse, upwards of 11K - 13K watts based on reviews and features, with the Dura-Max probably in the lead because I could run a stick welder with it.

I need a peak/surge output of about 50 amps (25 each leg).

Not going to install a whole-house Generac as nice as it would be, but I’m probably not going to be here long enough to get my money out of it.

Any experience with these brands, or other suggestions?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I have a duro max dual fuel. 50amp plug for my welder in shop. I can disconnect from grid in power outages and back feed it from shop to run heatpump etc…. ONLY do this if you know what you are doing.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

They are all about the same anymore as far as quality goes and made in China unless you are stepping up to Honda/Yamaha. Just get the size you want and roll with it. You can pretty safely backfeed your house with an interlock switch kit and generator power inlet if it is all hooked up correctly.
    Last edited by wbrown609; 05-04-2024 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    I have a duro max dual fuel. 50amp plug for my welder in shop. I can disconnect from grid in power outages and back feed it from shop to run heatpump etc…. ONLY do this if you know what you are doing.
    Yes, I’ve had mine set up that way since ‘99. It’s a great way to ride out the storms.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'