Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTC bans Non Compete clauses

Bureaucracy rules when federal legislators cannot.

The extreme polarization does not reward bipartisanship.

This scenario means we are governed by the ever changing winds of executive orders and court opinions.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I find it good for capitalism. Screw big business trying to keep their thumb on their employees.
    I disagree, obviously. Non-competes are not just for "big business," they're often a necessity for small businesses, particularly those in specialized fields that share their trade secrets with employees (yes, I know that you can still protect trade secrets absent a noncompete). A business often invests a lot of time and energy (at an initial loss) into training its employees and instilling industry-specific knowledge to that employee. The business reasonably wants to protect its investment. One way to do so is by way of noncompete. The law already states that a noncompete is unenforceable if not accompanied by consideration, so employees are required to receive something in exchange for signing a noncompete. It's up to that employee to determine whether the juice is wroth the squeeze.
    Carolina Counsel

I know several professionals which were leveraged into NCA's as a required part of employment contracts. Sure, they had the option to walk away from it, but the cost of starting over at a new firm and building a new client base was astronomical. While there is a place for a NCA or similar agreement in proprietary business, this helps a good number of folks.