Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herniated Disc Treatment

Default Herniated Disc Treatment

How many of y’all have a had back surgery and it been successful? I know I have at least 2 bulging discs in my lower back from a MRI I had 10 years ago. I’m only 42 and have always been told surgery should be a last resort. After long days of standing, my dang butt and thighs are on fire from the nerve being compressed. Haven’t really tried other conservative options at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had 2 herniated discs in my neck last year. One was causing all my issues, the other was minor. Severe pain in my trap, numbness in my left arm and a few fingers. I couldn’t sit very long or I’d be in severe pain. I tried an injection, which helped for 4 days. I tried sitting different and PT. Did a C4/5 fusion and it immediately resolved my pain. Recovery was far better than I’d anticipated.

I’m sure you’re about to get 50 “go see my guy” comments, but Dr Guitton at Augusta Neuro was great. I have 0 issues today and can barely even see the scar. I’d encourage you to see him, get a new MRI, seek his advice on if he thinks an injection would help, and forget the chiro route… just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 04-21-2024 at 08:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Back surgery isn’t what it used to be. A lot less invasive these days. While I’ve never had back surgery those I know who have recently have done well. That being said I would try PT and exercise to strengthen your back and core first. A lot of our back issues are linked to sitting, weak back muscles and weak core. If you are overweight/obese, fix that too. Your frame is designed to carry only so much weight.

Good luck. I know that is probably frustrating.

Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

You're asking for it with this question and the amount of opinions you're going to get.

I always start with my Chiropractor and go from there. Some folks hate them. I love them. I have a friend that uses the same chiro as me. After some evaluation the chiro told him his issue was beyond him and he needed to seek surgery. The key is finding chiro who know when to do that or surgeon that will suggest a chiro if he doesn't think you need surgery. Very hard to find them b/c they're often in a pissing match thinking one is better than the other. There's a place for both.

You can always look into acupuncture as well.

And what to nn Glenn says.

Chiropractor helped me some. I finally got an injection and thank god it’s been great ever since
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Chiropractor helped me some. I finally got an injection and thank god it’s been great ever since
    If injections work, set them up for 4 times a year, which is what most ins companies allow.

If you feel surgery is needed, go see a neuro surgeon.

I'm presently at home recovering from a cyst removal and screws inserted on the 2-3 and 3-4. Surgery was on 3-27-24.

It was no picnic.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

When you’ve got a herniated disc/nerve pain you’re pretty much willing to do anything to get it to stop
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Back surgery isn’t what it used to be. A lot less invasive these days. While I’ve never had back surgery those I know who have recently have done well. That being said I would try PT and exercise to strengthen your back and core first. A lot of our back issues are linked to sitting, weak back muscles and weak core. If you are overweight/obese, fix that too. Your frame is designed to carry only so much weight.

THIS !!! loose weight and work out.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    When you’ve got a herniated disc/nerve pain you’re pretty much willing to do anything to get it to stop
    No doubt. Mornings are the worst for me. Once I get moving I def feel better. I just am tired of dealing with it. I like to go 1000 miles per hour and would like to just have it fixed but not sure it is wise at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

I certainly need to drop some lbs

I have had 2 L4-5 S1 discsectomy surgeries at Southeastern spine institute in Mount Pleasant by Dr Poletti.

He did an outstanding job both times, pain was gone and I was only out of work 3 weeks each time.

I don’t know what your pain level is at but after having 2 back surgeries there ain’t no way I would deal with that pain compared to the surgery and recovery
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I have had 2 L4-5 S1 discsectomy surgeries at Southeastern spine institute in Mount Pleasant by Dr Poletti.

He did an outstanding job both times, pain was gone and I was only out of work 3 weeks each time.

I don’t know what your pain level is at but after having 2 back surgeries there ain’t no way I would deal with that pain compared to the surgery and recovery
    Some days it’s a zero, some days an 8. Really all depends on what I do the day before. 2-3 straight of standing in the boat usually gets me pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Some days it’s a zero, some days an 8. Really all depends on what I do the day before. 2-3 straight of standing in the boat usually gets me pretty good.

That sucks man. I know how bad it hurts. I hope you can get yourself straightened out sooner rather than later no matter which route you take.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Southeastern Spine in MtP is where my son had a teflon part installed.
    Pain was 5-8 day & night.
    1 year later he's back cranking on an 80W, running in the woods on a 450X & shooting everything he can.
    Used to be, ya grin & bear it. Today there's some good fixes.
    Then get a thick antifatigue mat & velcro it down at your helm.

I work out several times a week and my core is strong. Weight not an issue. When I workout, it hurts more. Lower back muscles on each side of the spine.
    The Drs just wanna feed me more meds. Tried chiro, accu puncture, injections. Injections help for a few days at times.
    Would not recommend any of the Spartanburg Drs I've been to.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I got one back in 2017 and have battled low back pain since. It was not until about a year and a half ago that it’s almost totally gone with minimal regular maintenance.

Go looks up ManFlowYoga on YouTube. I did these for a while and continue to do similar yoga and glute core strengthening outside of normal working out. Like others said, with lower back pain you’ll do just about anything to make it better. This would be my first step and stick with it for at least a month before you explore other options. Chiro helps, but it’s just a band aid. Focus on getting other surrounding muscle groups strengthened so your back won’t have to work as hard.

Neuro surge in west Ashley fixed mine 12-13 years ago and it was night and day. I was ready to run out of the hospital post surgery. Pre surgery I couldn't walk from the door of my truck to the tailgate while holding onto the side of the truck.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

If you sit a lot and then stand for a duration the pain you are feeling could be because your hips are probably locked up. I've had a few injuries over the years and mobility has been my best medicine.